Clock Spring(cable reel) making really bad sound, please help

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 06:33 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Clock Spring(cable reel) making really bad sound, please help

As always Im turning to Acurazine community for support

I took my 4G TL to the dealer because of the ticking, clicking noise coming from the steering wheel and they told me it was the clock spring(cable reel) is bad and they want $480 to replace it, I left. Now the noise is getting worse with almost every turns and every bumps I went over. I have searched the forum but nothing came up for the 4G clock spring issues. My car is outta warranty and I believe the clock spring is related to the airbag? My questions are how hard is it to replace the clock spring myself and is there any recall in regards to this issue because of safety? is it ok for me to keep driving without replacing it and what would happen to the steering if the clock spring fails while driving?

Any help is greatly appreciated
Old 11-02-2014, 01:17 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
Oh so that explains the whippers going bad...

The spring is in the switch body part and chances are something has gone horribly wrong with the entire part.

Last edited by Tonyware; 11-02-2014 at 01:25 PM.
Old 11-03-2014, 05:25 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Do you have any warning lights on your dashboard? Steering wheel audio controls and cruise control still working?

There is also a TSB for a steering wheel clicking sound on the early gen 4G TL's. It's the actual steering column that gets replaced, not sure if that might be the issue, but that was the case for mine. If it is the actual clock spring, that is something you'd probably want to get addressed sooner than later.
Old 11-03-2014, 11:38 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by BSG1
Do you have any warning lights on your dashboard? Steering wheel audio controls and cruise control still working?

There is also a TSB for a steering wheel clicking sound on the early gen 4G TL's. It's the actual steering column that gets replaced, not sure if that might be the issue, but that was the case for mine. If it is the actual clock spring, that is something you'd probably want to get addressed sooner than later.
There are no warning lights on the dash board. All the controls are still working.
Mine is a 09 TL .. When I first heard the sound I brought it in for the dealer to check it, they told me it was the clock spring but they want $480 for it, I didnt do it. Now that the sound getting worse, a friend of mine is a mechanic he dove the car and he didnt believe it was the clock spring, he stated that clock spring will make noise everytime u turn the steering wheel but my car makes noise over bumps, turns, on stops and go too. He adjusts the steering column and pushes the steering all the way in position and now ive been driving for the last 2 days with very little or noise. He thinks its the locking mechanism is the culprit(im wondering why would the dealer insisted that the clock spring is bad).
BGS1 Thank u for ur time
Old 11-03-2014, 11:43 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tonyware
Oh so that explains the whippers going bad...

The spring is in the switch body part and chances are something has gone horribly wrong with the entire part.
is the clock spring related to the wiper motors? are they connected in certain ways? they are basically acting up at the same time.

as always thank u for ur time Tony
Old 11-04-2014, 09:10 AM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Obviously a mechanic knows better, but my understanding is that the steering wheel audio/cruise control function stops working and the airbags throw an error code when the clock spring starts to fail. Here is the steering wheel TSB:

TSB 09-050: (2009 TL) Popping Or Clicking when Turning the Steering Wheel

I'd recommend taking it to another dealership if possible and asking if that is the steering wheel clicking sound from the TSB. If it is in fact the clock spring, that is something you'd want to address soon for safety reasons.
The following users liked this post:
TLJVN (01-21-2015)
Old 11-04-2014, 10:51 AM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Would someone explain what is the "clock spring" ?
Old 11-04-2014, 03:36 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
From wikipedia: "In vehicle steering systems a clockspring is a special rotary electrical connector which allows a vehicle's steering wheel to turn while still making an electrical connection between the steering wheel airbag and/or the vehicle's horn and other devices and the vehicle's electrical systems. The clockspring is located between the steering wheel and the steering column."
The following users liked this post:
Edward'TLS (11-04-2014)
Old 11-06-2014, 01:31 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by BSG1
Obviously a mechanic knows better, but my understanding is that the steering wheel audio/cruise control function stops working and the airbags throw an error code when the clock spring starts to fail. Here is the steering wheel TSB:

TSB 09-050: (2009 TL) Popping Or Clicking when Turning the Steering Wheel

I'd recommend taking it to another dealership if possible and asking if that is the steering wheel clicking sound from the TSB. If it is in fact the clock spring, that is something you'd want to address soon for safety reasons.
BSG1 thanks again for taking time to answer. After adjusting the steering wheel tilt position all the way inward so far I have no clicking noise for the last 4 days.
Dont know if I should still bring it in for the dealer to check.
Old 11-10-2014, 11:47 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The fact that the noise goes away after pushing the steering wheel in. Sounds like the tsb that was posted about replacing the steering column. A clock spring when faulty will only make noise when turning the wheel regardless of driving over bumps
Old 11-11-2014, 02:35 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ray01
The fact that the noise goes away after pushing the steering wheel in. Sounds like the tsb that was posted about replacing the steering column. A clock spring when faulty will only make noise when turning the wheel regardless of driving over bumps
I'm wondering if the locking mechanism got anything to do with the sound coming from the steering wheel column?