Center Console/Outlets Not Receiving Enough Power

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 12:06 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Center Console/Outlets Not Receiving Enough Power

I just purchased a 2012 Acura TL Technology - so far I'm loving it! Exactly what I wanted in a car

When I first purchased the car I made an appointment at the local Acura dealer to have some recalls taken care of, inspection completed, etc. I noticed that with my iPhone plugged into the USB dongle the phone wouldn't charge, only stay at about the same percentage or slowly decreases no matter how long I had it plugged in (displays that power is connected on the screen). I asked if they would check it out. When I picked up the car he said he was pretty sure that it was the cable I was using because he used his in the car and it worked "fine." I replace the cable but the problem persists - in every outlet using my USB adapter as well as the USB dongle built in the phone never seems to charge or goes down slightly.

Has anyone encountered this/have any suggestions? Last night I went through and checked some fuses in the three (?!) separate fuse boxes for all the ones I thought might effect this and none were blown. Clearly the plugs are receiving power, just not enough to make a difference in how much the phone charges. I'm at a bit of a loss...
Old 03-31-2017, 03:04 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
I noticed that with my LG phone, I tried different adapters also. My son's Iphone charged up fine, not sure what the reason is tho.
Old 03-31-2017, 03:56 PM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by brens
When I picked up the car he said he was pretty sure that it was the cable I was using because he used his in the car and it worked "fine."
Are you using the original Apple cable? I had problems once with a third party cable, and much to my surprise, switching to a "better" cable fixed my problem. I don't know if that will help you, but I thought I'd mention it.

Gregg
Old 03-31-2017, 04:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by brens
I just purchased a 2012 Acura TL Technology - so far I'm loving it! Exactly what I wanted in a car

When I first purchased the car I made an appointment at the local Acura dealer to have some recalls taken care of, inspection completed, etc. I noticed that with my iPhone plugged into the USB dongle the phone wouldn't charge, only stay at about the same percentage or slowly decreases no matter how long I had it plugged in (displays that power is connected on the screen). I asked if they would check it out. When I picked up the car he said he was pretty sure that it was the cable I was using because he used his in the car and it worked "fine." I replace the cable but the problem persists - in every outlet using my USB adapter as well as the USB dongle built in the phone never seems to charge or goes down slightly.

Has anyone encountered this/have any suggestions? Last night I went through and checked some fuses in the three (?!) separate fuse boxes for all the ones I thought might effect this and none were blown. Clearly the plugs are receiving power, just not enough to make a difference in how much the phone charges. I'm at a bit of a loss...
The USB ports should be charging the iphone, however if you are using a lot of apps on your phone it will drain. If I'm using WAZE, and an app like slingbox, my iphone will loose battery as I drive even though it's plugged in. Otherwise it's completely fine and charges sligtly slower with a longer amazon lighting cable vs the shorter apple one.