Car needs a new gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 10:03 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car needs a new gas tank

My CPO 2014 TL SH-AWD is at the dealership getting a new gas tank because it has what was described to me as a 'puncture' and it was slowly leaking. My question for those that might know how easy of a replacement is this? Basically I am worried they are going to have to take apart a ton of stuff on the underside of the car to drop the tank out and that could cause issues later on if everything is not put back in place correctly. How big of a project is this for them to do? They seem to act like they could do it without removing a lot of stuff but I am skeptical.
Old 03-30-2017, 10:14 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 360 Likes on 319 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about it, they should have no problem replacing a gas tank. If it is leaking it doesn't matter how much work is involved, it needs to be replaced.
Old 03-30-2017, 10:17 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,584 Likes on 6,630 Posts
It's at the dealer, I would trust them with workmanship... Else they will have to fix it
Old 03-31-2017, 04:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by ronricks
My CPO 2014 TL SH-AWD is at the dealership getting a new gas tank because it has what was described to me as a 'puncture' and it was slowly leaking. My question for those that might know how easy of a replacement is this? Basically I am worried they are going to have to take apart a ton of stuff on the underside of the car to drop the tank out and that could cause issues later on if everything is not put back in place correctly. How big of a project is this for them to do? They seem to act like they could do it without removing a lot of stuff but I am skeptical.
Most of the time a gas leak stems from the electronics that monitor the gas seeping out due to a bad/pinched seal. The tank is located under the rear seats of the car/trunk so it's not that big of a deal and not much is getting removed. Don't worry about it!