Blend door / air mix actuator

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2016 | 06:33 PM
Cruisin'

Blend door / air mix actuator

Hi guys,

i dont post post here much but am in need of help, some confirmation really. I've dug all through this site and there's limited discussion let alone confirming information for my issue so easy on the flaming, be gentle at least

I believe, given my research, that my air mix actuator, I've also heard this called the blend door, is bad for the drivers side as I get hot air blowing on the driver side and nice cool air on the passenger side when it's set to "low" (below 58 that is). There appears to be two (2) of these units under the driver side dash. They have identical part numbers, AW063800-0740 and are produced by Denso (possible part #pp-gf20+m20k).

The problem is that I can find USED 063800 parts, but they always end with a different number like 063800-0190...or 063800-0300, and look absolutely identical. So would those parts work as well? And frankly, I don't want used, I'd like new, and for the life of me I cannot find a new part cross reference #.

So that said, I'd love any help I can get and would truly appreciate the input. This issue seems silly to me, you'd think buying what appears to be a common part for a variety of vehicles would be easy but it's balls, dirty smelly terrible balls.

Thanks ladies and gents

e
Attached Thumbnails Blend door / air mix actuator-image.jpeg  
Old 08-15-2016 | 10:01 PM
Senior Moderator

For the drivers temp you'll need this part:
MOTOR ASSY., DRIVER TEMPERATURE for 2012 Acura TL|79160-TK4-A41

It's part no 16 in this diagram:
HEATER UNIT for 2012 Acura TL

It's 38 dollars from acuraoemparts.com and with coupon code acurazine you save an additional 5%.

The same part is used on the 2011 -2016 Honda Odyssey so your local dealer might be able to price match the part or a Honda website might have it a dollar or two cheaper.
The following 3 users liked this post by csmeance:
exonomix (08-17-2016), Hogan9166 (11-12-2017), tuxacura (06-22-2020)
Old 08-16-2016 | 11:59 AM
Burning Brakes

Are you sure its the blend door? Blowing hot on one side and cool on the other is usually indicative of low Freon (in Hondas). Search the Net. That's how I fixed my son's Accord with this problem... had Freon professional checked and added.
Old 08-17-2016 | 09:37 AM
Cruisin'

Gentlemen,

I do appreciate both your inputs, greatly, so thanks again. I am going to proceed with the blend door itself just to be safe as I've seen in my research that this isn't an uncommon failure, not just in Honda/Acura, but Lexus, MB, etc. as well.

I don't discount the idea that the freon may need some attention too, but if the passenger side is still blowing cold, I suspect that wouldn't be the issue alone. So I'll replace the part, see what happens, and if nothing does, I'll recharge the freon and see if that holds. Should it not, maybe I have a leak somewhere or need to take her to the dealer then (which i dislike doing because as a car guy, I can tend to, and like to, fix most of my problems myself - but I'm no HVAC expert either).

Respectfully,

e

The following users liked this post:
Reorge (08-18-2016)
Old 08-17-2016 | 09:42 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by csmeance
For the drivers temp you'll need this part:
MOTOR ASSY., DRIVER TEMPERATURE for 2012 Acura TL|79160-TK4-A41

It's part no 16 in this diagram:
HEATER UNIT for 2012 Acura TL

It's 38 dollars from acuraoemparts.com and with coupon code acurazine you save an additional 5%.

The same part is used on the 2011 -2016 Honda Odyssey so your local dealer might be able to price match the part or a Honda website might have it a dollar or two cheaper.
You could not have provided a more AWESOME RESPONSE!! Thanks man!!!
Old 09-05-2016 | 06:19 PM
Racer

I was wondering if replacing the Door Actuator Temp Mix Motor fixed the issue you were having? I am experiencing the same problem, It blows cold on the passenger side, but warm on the drivers side. I have a 2009 TL.
Old 09-01-2019 | 05:38 PM
Instructor

Cold Air on Passenger Side and Warmer air on Drivers Side

I'm having a similar problem. The air on the driver's side isn't nearly as cold as the air on the passenger's side. It takes forever on a hot day for the Driver's side to get cool. It does cool off eventually, but still not quite as cold.

I think it's one of two problems:
1. The Driver's side Air Mix Motor is stuck somewhere between 70 and 75 degrees
2. Some folks on this forums are saying that I need more freon.

I'm thinking it's #1 since the passenger side is still ice cold always.

Suggestions to help troubleshoot without getting gouged at the dealership? Is it work the time to try and see if my driver's side Air Mix Motor is stuck?

Thanks.
Old 03-26-2020 | 01:28 PM
2014 TL

Originally Posted by 714tman
I'm having a similar problem. The air on the driver's side isn't nearly as cold as the air on the passenger's side. It takes forever on a hot day for the Driver's side to get cool. It does cool off eventually, but still not quite as cold.

I think it's one of two problems:
1. The Driver's side Air Mix Motor is stuck somewhere between 70 and 75 degrees
2. Some folks on this forums are saying that I need more freon.

I'm thinking it's #1 since the passenger side is still ice cold always.

Suggestions to help troubleshoot without getting gouged at the dealership? Is it work the time to try and see if my driver's side Air Mix Motor is stuck?

Thanks.
did u find a fix for your issue? I’m having same problem
Old 03-26-2020 | 05:52 PM
Advanced

I'm not certain that it will help in this instance, but have you tried running the self-diagnostic function within the HDS?

(it's in the Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning section of the service manual, starting on 21-9)

Hope this helps.
Old 03-27-2020 | 09:44 AM
Instructor

Problem Fixed

Originally Posted by Frankyy
did u find a fix for your issue? I’m having same problem
Yes I did. I purchased a can of A/C Pro on Amazon and used it to recharge my system. The system was really low on refrigerant and once I recharged it, it works just like new. My TL took the whole can of refrigerant and the gauge on the can barely reached the green indicator on the dial leading me to believe the system was really low.

Old 11-28-2022 | 04:29 PM
Instructor

I have a 2012 TL-SH-AWD that won’t blow air on the windshield when set to Defrost Mode. Heats and cools just fine in Auto and other Modes. Any ideas as to what might be stuck and keeping the airflow from being directed to the windshield?

Thank you - couldn’t find another thread specifically addressing this issue.
Old 11-29-2022 | 06:55 AM
2014 TL

Originally Posted by KidK
I have a 2012 TL-SH-AWD that won’t blow air on the windshield when set to Defrost Mode. Heats and cools just fine in Auto and other Modes. Any ideas as to what might be stuck and keeping the airflow from being directed to the windshield?

Thank you - couldn’t find another thread specifically addressing this issue.

Does any air come out the Windshield defrost vents?
if u use the mode button to set air for windshield does that work?

There is a self-diagnostic function for the HVAC. To run the self-diagnostic function, do the following:

1. Turn the ignition switch to LOCK (0) and then back to ON (II), or press the engine start/stop button to select the OFF mode and then the ON mode

2. Press and hold the FAN ON/OFF button, then within 10 seconds press and release the REAR WINDOW DEFOGGER/MIRROR DEFOGGER button five times Release the FAN ON/OFF button, then the self diagnostic begins.

If there is a problem with the system, it will flash AUTO, 88 and AUTO, 88 and WINDSHIELD DEFROST, or 88 and MODE. If there is more than one problems, they are displayed one at a time in sequence followed by a pause. If there are no problems detected, the segments do not illuminate, and the system appears to be turned off. The problems are displayed with some codes you may need to take it to the dealer to repair. There are lots of codes!!! If you have codes and you can post them I may be able to interpret them for you.

To cancel the self-diagnostic turn the ignition switch to LOCK (0), or press the engine start/stop button to select the OFF mode.

Last edited by Frankyy; 11-29-2022 at 06:58 AM.
Old 11-30-2022 | 06:27 AM
Instructor

Thank you Frankyy,

No Air from the vent that should blow on the windshield. Good airflow from the other dash vents when in Defrost Mode (no temp issues hot or cold). Ran the test and get the “Defrost” icon and “||” as error codes. Thoughts on a fix?

Thanks again!
Frankyy (11-30-2022)
Old 11-30-2022 | 08:46 AM
2014 TL

Thank you Frankyy,

No Air from the vent that should blow on the windshield. Good airflow from the other dash vents when in Defrost Mode (no temp issues hot or cold). Ran the test and get the “Defrost” icon and “||” as error codes. Thoughts on a fix?

Thanks again!

im not sure what that error code means hopefully someone can chime in
i tried googling it up & search this forum but can’t find anything
KidK (12-01-2022)
Old 12-02-2022 | 09:43 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Frankyy
im not sure what that error code means hopefully someone can chime in
i tried googling it up & search this forum but can’t find anything
I’m having the same issue, just started happening in my 12 SHAWD.

I’m going to shoot for the blend motor, but have had no luck with tutorials on replacing etc. I may just create a YouTube video of it if it works.
Old 12-02-2022 | 07:29 PM
1st Gear

I'm having same problem

My vent isn't blowing on my windshield either when on defrost. Everything else is working fine. My error code is for "In car temperature sensor open circuit" I can't find any info about it online. Does anyone know how to remove the plastic panel under the steering wheel. I'm mechanical inclined but can't seem to figure out how to get to the temperature sensor. It's inside the vent holes under the ignition button.
Old 12-21-2022 | 12:20 AM
Instructor

Thank you Frankyy,

Thanks again!
Mission Viejo Acura just replaced two of the blower motors for a very reasonable price (Less than $500) and I’m back to full functionality.
Old 09-14-2024 | 09:52 PM
1st Gear

I had gone down the rabbit hole and replaced the Blend Door Actuator only for it to still not work. The Mode Doors were not changing and I was starting to think something much worse was happening. I decided to take it to a shop for a free checkup and they notified me that the car at times will lost hvac functionality when compressor is not working. They checked the pressure and did an eval and recommended eval and recharge. It was a little over $200 and now all functionality is back. Blowing ice cold, changes mode doors etc.