Belt squealing (randomly) at highway speeds - 2009 TL SH-AWD

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 10:37 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Belt squealing (randomly) at highway speeds - 2009 TL SH-AWD

[I've done some searches I can't seem to find anyone who's having this same issue, but if this has been addressed somewhere else, please let me know.]

I have a 2009 TL SH-AWD with about 40,000 miles. A month or so ago it started making what seems to be a belt squealing noise when the car got up to highway speeds and went away when the car slows down. (Seems to be the opposite of when you'd normally hear belt squealing??) The odd thing is it only happens occasionally and there's no consistent pattern of when it does happen. So the frequency, weather, engine temp, etc. doesn't seem to matter.

I brought the car to my local dealership and the service advisor looked at the belt tensioner and it was working correctly. (Apparently there's only one drive belt in the car.) Otherwise he advised me to bring it back if / when it was making the noise consistently. So even though this car is still under warranty, it's doesn't really do me any good if the dealer can't reproduce the noise.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Thanks!!
Trevor
Old 01-01-2012, 11:13 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Im getting the exact same thing. Ive noticed it a couple weeks ago. Mine occurs occasionally during everyday driving and then goes away when coming to a stop. It eventually goes away in general after driving for about 15 mins. I havent taken it to the dealer because I know its not gonna be easy to reproduce the noise since it only happens occasionally.
The following users liked this post:
tbatt (01-02-2012)
Old 01-02-2012, 08:23 AM
4th Gear

Well at least I'm not crazy. Please let me know if it gets worse (and it is diagnosed by a mechanic) or it goes away (and you did something to clear it up.)

Thanks!!
Old 02-26-2012, 12:11 AM
Big Mo

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts
Crazy 2

Originally Posted by tbatt
Well at least I'm not crazy. Please let me know if it gets worse (and it is diagnosed by a mechanic) or it goes away (and you did something to clear it up.)

Thanks!!
I have the same problem, i'm at about 57,000 miles, and when I'm on the expressway after about 5 min of driving i get a squealing coming from the front rite side it seams and won't stop till my speed drops below 20mph. I took it to the dealer and by the time i arrived it stopped. Of course they said if i can't reproduce the noise they can't do anything. So i drove around for 2 hours and nothing. Went home, next morning same thing on the expressway! Pissed off, ,made another appointment and when I was about a mile from the dealer the same thing AGAIN! Noise went away, I didn't even bother to go in for them to tell me "If you can't reproduce the noise what are we going to check"! I feel like when i take my kid to the doctor and he gets better by the time I walk in the doctors office!
Can anyone help?
Old 03-05-2012, 10:41 PM
4th Gear

I haven't had the issue with mine in awhile, but I'll let you know if I get it resolved.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:50 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I thought I would chime in as I recently had the same issue on my 2010 TL SH-AWD (with around 22,000 miles).

Whenever I would start driving on the highway, after a few minutes I would notice this light squealing. It was louder at times (not loud by any stretch...but noticeable). As I came to a stop it would go away once I got to under 20-30 MPH and start back up when I got to like 40-50 MPH or higher.

I took it in for warranty service and they called me within 1 hour and said they fixed the problem. They told me it was "the backing place touching the rotor" (I believe that is what he said).

So if you are having this problem, get your brakes checked. I didn't think it was the breaks as it didn't really happen when breaking and sounded like it was coming from the front of the car.....but apparently it was the breaks. Going to pick my car up now.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:01 PM
Intermediate

Just an update on this issue:

The problem is due to a bad Propeller shaft.

When I picked up my car, as soon as I got on the highway I noticed that the problem was not fixed and the squealing continued. I turned around and went back to the dealer. I then took the technician for a drive to show him the squealing noise. I was told that he was one of the better technicians at the dealer. Of course he thought I was crazy when he got in my car. After driving around with him for two minutes I pointed out the noise and he clearly heard it too. When we returned to the dealer, he took the car back to the garage. He said that he was going to put it on the lift. I waited for another 10-15 minutes until he returned with the car. He said that it was definitely the propeller shaft. They ordered the part and I have to return next week with my car to have it replaced.

Anyway, if you are having a problem with a light squealing noise when driving at highway speeds, have your dealer look at the propeller shaft.

Last edited by DWDYEM2001; 10-25-2012 at 04:11 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by DWDYEM2001:
Ant$ (10-26-2012), tbatt (10-27-2012)
Old 10-25-2012, 05:01 PM
Intermediate

Well...another update... Apparently the Propeller Shaft is on back-order and I won't be able to get it fixed for about 3 weeks. I scheduled to have it replaced on November 29th. At least they will come and pick it up (and leave me with a loaner) this time. I will update on the results when I get it replaced to confirm the squealing noise is gone.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:27 AM
4th Gear

DWDYEM2001, thanks for the post. That was really informative!! Apparently my issue is different than yours or even what I had originally thought was the problem.

Actually last week I went back to the dealer to receive the software update on the transmission / torque converter. I happened to ask the service guy about this issue that was I had been ignoring, but was becoming more frequent. It's been a while since I was there the first time and I take a lot of long trips so I'm past the bumper-to-bumper warranty. Of course I assumed this was a belt-issue (and the dealer's an annoying drive from my house), so I hadn't gone back sooner because I figured it would be a cheap fix. Clearly this was a stupid move on my part.

The service guy was willing to have a tech drive around with me to hear the noise, an option that wasn't presented to me the first time I came in. Once they heard the noise, it quickly became evident that it wasn't a belt issue. They kept bumping up the required diagnostic time because even the most experienced tech couldn't figure out what the problem was. Ultimately they had to call 'TechLine' to get to the bottom of it.

Finally when I got a call back the next day, they had determined that it was a bad 'center support bearing' and the entire drive-shaft needed to be replaced. Yikes!! Fortunately since this was a drive-train issue the whole thing was covered under the 70K power-train warranty. I really dodged a bullet on that one. This probably would have been a 4-figure repair.

The part has come in and I'm going back to the dealer on Wednesday to have it replaced. If it doesn't fix the issue I'll update the post, but I'm assuming they have it right.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:22 AM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The propellar shaft is like 875 online and should be a 30 minute swap for any tech with a lift.

I'm glad they heard the noise in yours. I've now made 2 trips to the dealer and the damn car won't make the noise when I take them for a ride. They also claim they've never seen any make the noise which is hard to believe based on what's here and the RL section.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:10 AM
Intermediate

This same noise started recently on my '09 SH-AWD. It does sound just like a belt squeal, but keep in mind a belt noise would be RPM related and not vehicle speed related.....that's why I ruled out the noise being a belt noise. I've since figured out that it is the propeller shaft on mine just like some others, and will be taking it in soon for replacement hopefully covered by warranty.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:37 AM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
mine just started doing this in the past week, 33k miles....i was thinking it was the brake wear indicators, but it seems to be the same issue yall had.....
Old 01-14-2013, 09:42 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,043 Likes on 848 Posts
I just hope you guys wont need a new one every 40-50k...
Old 01-14-2013, 01:00 PM
Intermediate

Mine gets dropped off at the dealer tonight, for this noise and a bunch of little other stuff. They said theyre now keeping the driveshafts for these in stock. Interesting.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:37 PM
Safety Car

does anyone know if there is a tsb for this....
Old 01-16-2013, 09:11 AM
Intermediate

I hope there's a TSB at some point, or is one already. A TSB is usually accompanied with a real fix for the problem....like an updated part, procedure, etc.. No TSB mostly means we're just replacing the driveshaft with the same unit design as the one that only went 40k miles. So if there's no bulletin yet, that either means not enough have failed for them to do something, or they havent come up with a permenant fix yet.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:05 PM
Intermediate

This will be of interest to many of you. The rep from Honda just called, after I called them regarding the driveshaft bearing, and how the dealer said Honda wouldnt be covering it. The rep was very thorough and just generally cool, and explained that they just came out with an update for the bearing very recently, and that they're sending one of the updated shafts to my dealer for replacement. He also said that dealers dont even know about the update yet since its so recent. I was very happy to hear that, and with this I would expect a real TSB to come out for this soon. Good news for all of us.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:38 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm glad i searched for this. My car just started making that squeeling noise and its not so loud that another car can hear but only inside the car. I'll be calling my dealer Tuesday about this issue.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:25 PM
10th Gear

Count me in on the squeal. Started at 40k miles. It's intermiten at speeds above 50 or 60 and doesn't depend on throttle input, transmission engagement or gear, or brake input. So the propeller shaft makes sense to me. I think I'll let it ride for a few weeks and keeping an eye out for the TSB.

Last edited by pulp350z; 01-21-2013 at 06:31 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:32 PM
Safety Car

mine is in at the dealer as we speak....the service advisor knows all about the propeller shaft....

i make sure and explained to them that there is a new part out, trying to make sure they use that and not the original part number for it....

the 2009-2012 used the same part number for the propeller shaft, the 2013 has a new part number....that tells me acura knows its not right...
Old 01-22-2013, 03:51 PM
Safety Car

they are replacing my propeller shaft with the new part, 40100 tk5 a03....the older part was a02....obviously acura knows this is a problem....
Old 01-23-2013, 03:42 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I had my propeller shaft replaced yesterday also. The dealer claimed they never heard of a propeller shaft problem, until I brought mine in and asked them to put it on a lift and use a listening device to hear if the support bearings are making the whine that I just started hearing on Saturaday on a trip back from College Station. They did what I asked and were surprized to find I was correct. I asked them to order a 2013 shaft, but they said they ordered a 2010. I picked it up today and they had put a 2013 shaft on it after all. While they had the car, I called Acura customer service and they stated there is no problem with TL-AWD propeller shafts.
This reminds me of the story a friend told me of his neighbor's old Rolls-Royce. He called the local dealer in Dallas and told them that a rear suspension coil spring had broke. They called him back two hours later and said they looked at the car in his driveway and nothing was wrong with it. Those sneaky guys must have come and picked up the car, took it to their dealership, fixed it, returned it to EXACTLY the same spot, and proceeded to claim springs don't break on R-R cars.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:20 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Little Gator
I had my propeller shaft replaced yesterday also. The dealer claimed they never heard of a propeller shaft problem, until I brought mine in and asked them to put it on a lift and use a listening device to hear if the support bearings are making the whine that I just started hearing on Saturaday on a trip back from College Station. They did what I asked and were surprized to find I was correct. I asked them to order a 2013 shaft, but they said they ordered a 2010. I picked it up today and they had put a 2013 shaft on it after all. While they had the car, I called Acura customer service and they stated there is no problem with TL-AWD propeller shafts.
This reminds me of the story a friend told me of his neighbor's old Rolls-Royce. He called the local dealer in Dallas and told them that a rear suspension coil spring had broke. They called him back two hours later and said they looked at the car in his driveway and nothing was wrong with it. Those sneaky guys must have come and picked up the car, took it to their dealership, fixed it, returned it to EXACTLY the same spot, and proceeded to claim springs don't break on R-R cars.
i would guess that honda has discontinued the older part, so when the dealer goes to order the propeller shaft for a 2010 you end up with the part for the 2013....
Old 01-25-2013, 06:02 AM
Instructor

Two test drives with the new propeller shaft on and so far none of the old whine sound.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:54 PM
Instructor

I got under the car tonight and was able to find the part # sticker on the shaft, and yes, it is the '13 part number. The support bearings also have a dot matrix date stamped on them of 7-05-12. So this is will all certainty the right part. And whoever installed it knew what they were doing as I couldn't find a scratch on anything. That may sound silly, but the mistakes I have found on my cars after service have been more than silly. During this same service trip, they tested my battery (which I do regularly myself) and said one of the cells was going bad. They installed a new battery and only tighted one cable. I found it while still on the dealer's driveway. I pulled the engine covers off to check their work. I guess they just thought I would sign the papers, take the key and drive off without inspecting anything. The paint scratch on the door was free.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:33 PM
5th Gear

Same Issue

I have a 2010 TL SH-AWD 6MT and started hearing this sound about a week ago. I have 60,123 MI on it. I thought it was the belt as well, then thought it was wind noise, then finally the belts and pullies. As many have stated in a few different threads, the sound starts happening at around 45mph. It is hard to reproduce, but consistent enough to notice it at certain speed. Again, its more and more apparent. So I am calling tomorrow to schedule a repair to replace the propeller shaft.

My question is, is the propeller shaft different between the 6MT and the 5Auto? I know the 6MT has some slight differences from the auto.

Thanks! for the posts, I thought I was crazy! lol
Old 02-15-2013, 11:10 AM
Instructor

The same shaft is used for both auto & manual tranmission equipt cars.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:40 PM
Advanced

Just had the prop shaft replaced on my 2012 w/ 29k on the odo
Old 03-20-2013, 07:32 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by pulp350z
Count me in on the squeal. Started at 40k miles. It's intermiten at speeds above 50 or 60 and doesn't depend on throttle input, transmission engagement or gear, or brake input. So the propeller shaft makes sense to me. I think I'll let it ride for a few weeks and keeping an eye out for the TSB.
One additional observation I can now add. it appears to only happen when its cold, say below 40 or 50 degress. I've noticed the noise is absent in the few warm days we've had here in Ohio over the last month.

I plan to get in to the dealer while it's still cold so there are no "can't reproduce the problem" issues.