Axles - OEM or aftermarket

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 11:22 PM
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Axles - OEM or aftermarket

One of my axles on my 2010 TL has had the clicking noise while turning for a while (however, only when below 60 degrees before the car warms up, the boots were still intact), so I simply put it off until now because I want the issue resolved before it gets cold.

I ordered OEM axles from Bernardi Acura parts, but they are out of stock and American Honda is on national back order with them being available first week of October (Estimated). I've never done axles on a car before -- I would like to keep my TL another 100k to 200k miles. Should I wait it out for OEM parts to come or would after-market ones last just as long as OEMs? I've read on the 3G forums that some aftermarket axles were leaking/didn't fit exactly right/wore out quickly. Have people had similar issues on their 4G TL? I haven't been able to really find a thread on axles on 4G TL's.

Costwise, it isn't a huge issue for me (Maybe $100 or so difference between OEM and aftermarket, which isn't a ton considering these parts should last a long time) It's just a matter of waiting for the parts to be in stock or going aftermarket.
Old 09-01-2016, 01:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,430 Posts
OEM Axles are built better from a longevity and comfort point of view. You can go aftermarket but they may lack the dynamic dampers that are on the OEM axles to prevent vibrations when accelerating. With that said, some companies do rebuild axles! Raxles.com is a website that charges $220 + Tax + Shipping per side for the 3G TL so that might help get you a price idea for the 4G TL. They reuse the dampers and rebuild the axles in Florida and have a great warranty. Number of 3G folks including myself have been satisfied with them vs the $600+ per axle acura wants for the 2004-2006TL and 2003-2005 Honda Accord.

Last edited by csmeance; 09-01-2016 at 01:30 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by csmeance:
CTNYC (09-01-2016), David_BNSF (03-30-2023), EvilVirus (09-06-2016)
Old 09-01-2016, 07:02 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by csmeance
OEM Axles are built better from a longevity and comfort point of view. You can go aftermarket but they may lack the dynamic dampers that are on the OEM axles to prevent vibrations when accelerating. With that said, some companies do rebuild axles! Raxles.com is a website that charges $220 + Tax + Shipping per side for the 3G TL so that might help get you a price idea for the 4G TL. They reuse the dampers and rebuild the axles in Florida and have a great warranty. Number of 3G folks including myself have been satisfied with them vs the $600+ per axle acura wants for the 2004-2006TL and 2003-2005 Honda Accord.
Thanks for the input -- That was what I was thinking. I did hear about Raxles (came across it on the 3G threads) -- However, their pricing seems to be right at (or possibly even higher than) OEM prices. Might wait it out unless I can find an area dealership that has them in stock...
Old 09-01-2016, 11:20 AM
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts
Our axles have dynamic dampers? Are you referring to the rubber weight on the shaft? BTW, I don't have those, so they must have been removed or fell off, or were never there to begin with.
Old 09-01-2016, 04:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,430 Posts
Originally Posted by mossman77
Our axles have dynamic dampers? Are you referring to the rubber weight on the shaft? BTW, I don't have those, so they must have been removed or fell off, or were never there to begin with.
I couldn't find one on the parts diagram so it must be my mistake! OEM are 150 each from acuraoemparts.com, give them a call and see when they can have it over to you!
Old 09-02-2016, 11:15 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by csmeance
I couldn't find one on the parts diagram so it must be my mistake! OEM are 150 each from acuraoemparts.com, give them a call and see when they can have it over to you!
Thanks for the suggestion -- Guess I'll call around and see if anyone has them in stock already - I paid $150 + shipping from Bernardi, so if another place has them at roughly the same price, then I'd get it from them
Old 09-02-2016, 01:01 PM
Racer

acuraoemparts does not have the part in stock -- it needs to be ordered, but (as Bernardi said) there is a national backorder on this part... But they couldn't give me an estimated timeframe when it might be in stock... So I'm wondering where Bernardi got their estimate from... Might look into going aftermarket and see what a trusted mechanic thinks (and see what Pohanka might be able to do for me as well)
Old 09-02-2016, 03:19 PM
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by CTNYC
acuraoemparts does not have the part in stock -- it needs to be ordered, but (as Bernardi said) there is a national backorder on this part... But they couldn't give me an estimated timeframe when it might be in stock... So I'm wondering where Bernardi got their estimate from... Might look into going aftermarket and see what a trusted mechanic thinks (and see what Pohanka might be able to do for me as well)
Checked my sources over at Pohanka Acura and both axles for a 2010 Base model are indeed on back order with no ETA. My employee rate on those would be $150 each, retail is $215 each. I'd like to help you out but I'm afraid I can't give you an accurate ETA as to when the axles would become available for order. Let me know if you have any other questions or anything. Thanks,

-greg
Honda of Chantilly

EDIT - Once these parts become available, they look to be shipping from Honda's Ohio warehouse with a transit estimate of a few days to arrive in the DC metro area for pick up...again, that's when they become available.

Last edited by '99-6SIC6; 09-02-2016 at 03:23 PM. Reason: updated info
Old 09-02-2016, 03:27 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do they not sell joint kits any longer? Used to rebuild shafts all the time when I worked at the dealer... Could get an outer joint and boot kit all separate.
Old 09-03-2016, 03:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 150 Posts
I've used aftermarket on my ('99 TL), friends, and friend's H/A vehicles without problems. They usually come with a lifetime warranty.

I don't remember seeing dampers on our front (and rear on SH-AWD) drive shafts and I'm fairly certain we don't have them.
I replaced the original dampered OEM shafts on my son's 04 Accord with aftermarket that didn't have dampers and we didn't notice any difference.

OEM boot sets are available if you just want to replace the boots.
Old 09-06-2016, 10:37 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by '99-6SIC6
Checked my sources over at Pohanka Acura and both axles for a 2010 Base model are indeed on back order with no ETA. My employee rate on those would be $150 each, retail is $215 each. I'd like to help you out but I'm afraid I can't give you an accurate ETA as to when the axles would become available for order. Let me know if you have any other questions or anything. Thanks,

-greg
Honda of Chantilly

EDIT - Once these parts become available, they look to be shipping from Honda's Ohio warehouse with a transit estimate of a few days to arrive in the DC metro area for pick up...again, that's when they become available.
Thanks Greg -- $150/each is what I will be paying before shipping at Bernardi. Sounds like Bernardi is blowing smoke though with their ETA... I was actually going to just have Pohanka do the labor for me (and save the ~$115 or so on parts in the process) but the whole backorder thing put a dent in my plans lol. Given all this info, might have to go aftermarket if I want that annoying creak to go away before the winter, when it gets really bad with the cold weather... Would you reccommend just replacing the boots or replacing the axle with aftermarket? Seems like just replacing the boot might just be more labor and not really cost effective as opposed to just replacing the whole axle, not to mention that other part of the axle won't be replaced...

Originally Posted by Reorge
I've used aftermarket on my ('99 TL), friends, and friend's H/A vehicles without problems. They usually come with a lifetime warranty.

I don't remember seeing dampers on our front (and rear on SH-AWD) drive shafts and I'm fairly certain we don't have them.
I replaced the original dampered OEM shafts on my son's 04 Accord with aftermarket that didn't have dampers and we didn't notice any difference.

OEM boot sets are available if you just want to replace the boots.
Hmm - That's good to know... I think I got a bit scared off from aftermarket since I'm paying more for labor than the part and wouldn't want to have to replace axles again for a while -- It seemed like a bunch of guys on the 3G Forum were having to replace aftermarkets multiple times because of fitment issues (small leaks, etc). I'd hate to have to pay for the labor again because of the after market axles dont perform as anticipated...
Old 09-07-2016, 08:58 AM
Racer

Contacted Bernardi - They sent me a screenshot of their backordered items showing that my axles now have an ETA or 9/9 and 9/10, so looks like they'll be here soon enough
Old 12-11-2016, 11:36 AM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
How did your axle replacement go? Did you have a dealership perform the work, or a mechanic like you said? I am trying to decide if it's worth having the dealership do the work as long as the price isn't too ridiculous. I can handle doing it myself, but my time is also worth something.

I'm not getting the clicking sound that you described, CTNYC, however I am instead experiencing a clunking sound on acceleration, which according to my research is related to the inner CV joints. I still need to jack up my car and inspect the boots for any damage or any play in the joints. Is there any possibility of having the axles replaced under the powertrain warranty if the boots are still intact?