ATL Buck's CBP Repaint Thread. (Warranty Repaint, Crows feet)

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 06:03 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
ATL Buck's CBP Repaint Thread. (Warranty Repaint, Crows feet)

Hey all, So I have just give the dealer the go ahead to repaint my 2010 CBP TL.
Some background: The CBP color of 2009-2010 of Honda's and Acura's have been know to have an issue where the paint is defective. This defect in the base color results in the paint "Shrinking". This shrinking is shown on the CBP color underneath the clear coat. The paint shrinking will result in the appearance of crackling , or crows feet. This crackling looks like this: Click here for a thread with example pictures. This was another member who observed, and rectified the issue through a warranty repaint. This thread will show the progress of the repaint as well as some steps I have gone through to ensure that I am getting what I want, and I'm not getting a bullshit paint job.

Here are a few items that I have done thus far.

1. I first called into Acura Client Services. This was a worthless step. The rep I talked to was clueless, did not confirm or deny the issue, and instructed me to take it to a dealer.

2. After taking it to the dealer, they confirmed that my car did have defective paint and that a repaint was covered under my warranty.
a. I asked where it would be repainted at. This is an important step. The quality of your repaint depends on it. I found out that it would require a body shop. My Acura dealer told me of a neighboring Acura dealer that had a body shop on site (Ed Voyles Acura). It seemed ideal that my car was repainted by a dealer that works with Acura's everyday.
3. I took the car into Ed Voyle's Acura, and they confirmed the need to repaint. I instructed the service manager to have the body shop manager call me BEFORE anything was performed on the car to go over my expectations of the repaint.
a. I received this phone call today. I spoke with the body shop manager and decided it was best for me to come in to the dealer in person to go over my concerns.
b. I went to the dealer (today), and went over my concerns. The biggest concern was "What was being repainted?" At first, the service shop implied it would only be a few panels, then over the phone I expressed my concerns with a partial repaint. The body shop manager mentioned that it will be a full repaint.
c. At first, it was that the bumpers would not be repainted. After expressing why I thought it was ridiculous that they could try to get away without doing this, they agreed to paint the bumpers. (This also applied to the side mirrors.)
d. A few items that are not going to be repainted are the mud guards. I decided this was acceptable after the manager explained to me that it was a different repaint process at the factory and that these items come pre-painted (much like a body kit).
e. I described and showed the manager my current customizations and concerns that they do not get damaged during this paint job. My painted from beak, painted rear trim, and fog light HID kit. I explained that they did not have to repaint Nexxson's custom job as it is brand new and not their responsibility as well as warned them of the custom wiring of my HID kit. (This could go for any customization you have on your car).
4. Finally, I explained to the manager that I will be coming a few times a week until completion to check on it's status, and make sure everything is being done to my standards. (Didn't say that last part, but it was implied)

So, this thread is meant to show my progress and results of a (hopefully) proper paint job. I will post pictures as the car is repainted and point out any mistakes, or defects that I see to help any future people who have the same issue. Also, here is some advice that I received before I started this process.

Originally Posted by potmilkz
Check every crack and crevice of the car once it is done, look at the body lines to see if they are all equally apart and check for missing bolts and tabs. shops are famous for loosing nuts and replacing them with any nut they can find. Make sure all your electrical components work, headlight, ac, windows, etc.

Check under the hood, see if your hood insulation that is attached under the hood is mounted tightly, mine was very loose and they had to replace it with another one due to that the shop ripped it when taking it apart.

Check all the tabs that hold your plastic engine cover down, mine had several missing and was very loose, they replaced the tabs for me.

Make sure there are no paint drips at the ends of the body parts.

Check interior for scratches, rips, etc. Check chrome roof lining to see if they are secure.

Lastly, i am not sure if the members that had the problem got something out of it, but i bitched and made it a issue, they gave me 7 year, 120k warranty.. for free due to this issue.. my warranty expires in 2017 LOL
Old 01-30-2014, 07:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts
The pics in the other thread are gone, now.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:44 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
They are still there for me. Anyone else having this issue?
Old 08-13-2020, 08:21 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ATLBuckeye
They are still there for me. Anyone else having this issue?
my 2015 TLX blue was repainted around rear window.dealer paid for it and it is suppose to have lifetime warrantee thru body shop, car was still under factory warrantee at that time. They know about this defect but if you don't push issue they will not help.