ATF filter change

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 12:35 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATF filter change

I have the infamous gurgle from the front of my car and want to replace the ATF filter. I can find instructions on the 3G TL but can’t find the steps for the 4G. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 12-01-2017, 12:57 PM
Forum Contributor

Received 1,391 Likes on 643 Posts
See TSB 14-049 - Gurgle or Chirp from Under Hood at Cold Start-Up in the 2012, 2013, and 2014 TSB threads.

https://acurazine.com/forums/fourth-...inside-945434/
Old 12-01-2017, 01:00 PM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
Which year TL do you have? If it's 2009-2011, the filter is located in the transmission and is not easily serviceable. If you have a 2012-2014, see below:

The filter is located on the right side of the engine bay, underneath the battery tray, mounted on the subframe toward the bottom of the engine bay. You'll want to remove the battery and tray, then it's simply a matter of disconnecting the filter connections and replacing. The filter is held on with a clamp and 10mm bolt, then standard crips on the inlet and outlet of the filter. Put an oilpan under the filter before you remove it since some ATF will leak out when it's removed. Then simply install the new one in reverse order. If you have an OEM filter, just place it in the clamp tray and secure. It's configured as such that you can't install it backwards. If you have an aftermarket one like a Magnaflow, you'll need to make sure you install it so the flow is correct. If I remember correctly, thethe transmission fluid flows from right to left, so make sure the flow marker on the filter is facing the correct direction (heading left). I'm not 100% certain on that though. It might be worth having someone look at the hoses with the filter removed, then starting the engine to see which hose the ATF comes out of You don't want to install it backwards. I'm nearly certain that fluid came out of the hose on the right meaning flow goes right to left.

Edit: Also, you may have to top off your ATF after install of the filter. Between losing the ATF already in the old filter, and some draining out during install, you'll probably need about a 1/4 of a quart at the least to bring it back up to the correct level.

Last edited by losiglow; 12-01-2017 at 01:03 PM.
Old 12-01-2017, 01:42 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine is a 09 SH AWD. With that being said, do I have any options? I hear when it when I accelerate for maybe the first 5 min of the car being started.
Old 12-01-2017, 07:47 PM
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 70 Posts
Isn't the 5 AT in the 09 TL pretty much the same transmission as the 07-08 TL?
Old 12-01-2017, 08:32 PM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
Originally Posted by dregsfan
Isn't the 5 AT in the 09 TL pretty much the same transmission as the 07-08 TL?
Not not sure on that. I have the service manual for the 09 TL but I'm not home right now. I could post it tomorrow. I believe accessing it is a pain in the neck. Someone else may be able to chime in on that.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 150 Posts
There are other threads in the forum that give specifics.
I change mine every 30k miles.

The easiest method is to remove the battery and battery tray
I have done this with leaving tray and only removing battery.
This was a PITA. Those hose clamps are hard to squeeze open and slide back into place in the tight space between trans and battery tray.
It's well worth it to remove tray.

Two bolts for the tray are underneath
It can be a pain to remove the underneath bolts but once you know what to look for and can find them, its a cinch.
See attached picture I found on web:
- Tray in pic is upside down.
- Two bolts on top
- One bolt connects air cleaner (I think) to tray (welded on nut in middle left picture background; out of focus)
- One bolt underneath in center (hard to see in car)
- One bolt (slot on left in picture is actual towards driver seat); just loosen enough, leave bolt, and remove tray via slot.
Attached Thumbnails ATF filter change-battery_tray.jpg