Arm rest leather problem

Old 11-17-2017, 11:29 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Arm rest leather problem

2012 TL with the leather on my center front arm rest seeming to come unattached from the foam. Anyone have a fix for this except replace it?

I'm wondering if I put a couple of slits in the leather and spray some spray adhesive in there would that work? The leather is coming undone from the front edge heading backwards. I'm thinking if I catch it early some adhesive in there will stop the leather from continuing to become unstuck to the foam. I assume that is what is going on?

Anyone have a comment on this problem? Is it common?

These TL's known for leather issues? I have cleaned and condition all the seats but I just got this car last year and I serious doubt the previous owner did any thing to the car maintenance wise. The first owner was literally an elderly Jewish lady. LOL.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:47 AM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
WHAT? An elderly Jewish lady that didn’t own a VW!?!? Seriously, I have Jewish friends who all own VWs, as ironic as that is. No offense to any Jewish TLers who may read this, likely you’re not a stereotypical Jew since you own an Acura and not a Honda or...

I havent heard of anyone who has had their armrest leather tear or get separated from the foam. I’ve seen some pretty rough interior in some TLs before but the only thing I’ve ever experienced with the arm rest is the foam being flattened and the outer sides of the leather become wrinkled.

If you think you could get some spray adhesive in there without getting it on the exterior, with a straw like brake cleaner has, then it should hold for a little while longer. The straw would likely get clogged up fast, so work quickly or get several of them. I’ve never done it in an Acura before, but I think that if you take the whole armrest(center console lid) off, take the plastic piece underneath off, and you should be able to get the entire piece of foam + leather cover off to replace or work with it that way. I’ve been thinking of doing that myself just to put a stiffer piece of foam in, even though mine isn’t flattened or anything yet, but I haven’t really had time for interior stuff lately. Even my 3G TL wasn’t that bad off.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:12 AM
Advanced

Here’s a thread on removing the center console lid and taking the cover off to add more padding:

https://acurazine.com/forums/fourth-.../#post16134158
Old 11-20-2017, 10:38 AM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Maybe I'll take it off when I get a chance and see what I can do. I had a 2001 CL and the leather in this TL seems to be thinner, softer leather in general. The CL leather lasted me 168,000 with only one problem spot.
Old 11-23-2017, 01:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 107 Posts
The leather (if that's what it is?) on the center armrest is pretty flimsy. Ours (2010 base) just cracked and separated this fall, seven years old.
So we traded in the car.
Well, not really, there were other reasons too.
Jim
Old 12-06-2017, 09:41 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by jim_c
The leather (if that's what it is?) on the center armrest is pretty flimsy. Ours (2010 base) just cracked and separated this fall, seven years old.
So we traded in the car.
Well, not really, there were other reasons too.
Jim
The fact that it "cracked" indicates that it is real leather. Have you ever had a leather belt, or dress shoes? The key to life longevity of anything leather is to condition it. I see so many vehicles that have leather interior with cracks on the seats and armrests/center consoles and it drives me crazy!

Search this Thread