after transmission fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 03:45 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
after transmission fluid change

I recently did a 1x1 in my 2009 sh-awd TL and after doing so I added 3.5 quarts in after draining. I forgot to measure how much came out when draining. I had the front and rear on jack stands so the car was accentually leveled. I drove the car for a day and it seems like the tranny shifts a little harder (where you can feel it and not smooth). The day after, I checked the dipstick when engine was warmed up and it was about a quarter of an inch over the tip of the bottom of the dip stick. I then added a little more at a time till it was in between the two dots. I had to add a total of about half a quart. After adding the half quart it shifts a little smoother but still noticeable. It shifted almost unnoticeable before the transmission change. The only thing I noticed before the change was about the tranny was you could feel it down shifting from, I'm not sure if its 5th to 4th or 4th to 3rd. I used all OEM (Dw-1) fluids.

Has anyone experienced this? I bought 9 quarts of tranny fluid and i'm going to do a 3x3. I also bought three tranny shift sensors (40 bux a piece) which I will change out when I do my 3x3. The car has 92k miles. Also when doing a 3x3 I've read that some people saying you drain and fill, drive the car for 5 minutes then repeat 2 times. I've also read that people do it everyday for 3 days. What are is everybody's thoughts? Thanks
Old 05-21-2017, 09:58 PM
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts
I used DW1 and I didn't notice any difference in shifting. Did you check the level immediately after shutting off the engine? You are supposed to let the engine get warmed up well, then wait 60-90 seconds after shutting off engine to get an accurate reading.

I didn't do the 3x3, I just did one drain and refill, which I intend to do more often than recommended by the manual since it's pretty easy to do. Why are you doing the 3x3, is it to fix some issue or just preventive maintenance?
Old 05-21-2017, 11:39 PM
Advanced

I did the tranny fluid change because I am nearing the 100k mark. I bought the car with 90k and only had it for a month. I also drained the differential fluid and the transfer case fluid with all oem fluids the same time I did the tranny fluid.. Yep, I followed all instructions from what I read on these forums let the engine warm up till fan comes on.. I didn't know what the 3x3 was until after I read up on it a little more after I did the 1x3. I added the fluid after I went into town and came back home, so the engine was plenty warmed up.
Old 08-25-2017, 12:23 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Does anyone check their transmission fluid cold? Such as before first drive of the day. Where is the fluid mark suppose to be if checked cold? Between the two dots? I can't seem to get accurate readings when checked hot, plus it's freaking dangerous with that coolant hose so close.
Old 08-25-2017, 08:40 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 150 Posts
-The 2nd number in 3x3 indicates how many quarts you used. So you did a 1x3.5 and are planning to do a 3x3. I think you might need 3.5 per drain/fill.
The first number indicates how many times you did it.

- My Acura/Honda's transmission experience over the last 16 years is that the V6 transmissions take at least 3.5 quarts to get to the fill mark per Owner's manual check procedure.
My car takes 4 quarts. My Dad's 08 and Ex's 08 Odysseys take 3.5.

- Yes you must either drive the car or run the engine and shift the gears per H/A recommendation.
I've just driven it once around the block. The fluid doesn't get too hot.

- I have not noticed any shift difference after a fluid drain/fill but I do this very often based on my experience with my 99 TL POS transmission.
The pressure switch replacement solution were for early and mid 2000 trannys but it might work for you. If it does, please let us on the forum know!
Old 08-25-2017, 11:10 AM
Advanced

I did the 3x3. I also changed the all three pressure switches. It still shifts a little hard during the first 3-5 minutes of driving (engine not warmed up). Its only 1 to 2nd gear that shifts with a little jerk. after driving for 3-5 minutes it shifts smoothly. I did notice after doing the 3x3 and switches, the downshifting from 3 to 2 is a little less harsh where its not super noticeable.

TLTESH - use a low grit sand paper and sand the tip of you transmission stick (don't go super crazy on it, just enough to put some light scratche/groves on it). you will get a better readings.
Old 08-25-2017, 04:56 PM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by OhhNoVtec
I did the 3x3. I also changed the all three pressure switches. It still shifts a little hard during the first 3-5 minutes of driving (engine not warmed up). Its only 1 to 2nd gear that shifts with a little jerk. after driving for 3-5 minutes it shifts smoothly. I did notice after doing the 3x3 and switches, the downshifting from 3 to 2 is a little less harsh where its not super noticeable.

TLTESH - use a low grit sand paper and sand the tip of you transmission stick (don't go super crazy on it, just enough to put some light scratche/groves on it). you will get a better readings.
What switches ?This is how I check a dipstick
The following 2 users liked this post by Lee C:
fryrice (09-06-2017), Reorge (08-26-2017)
Old 08-29-2017, 08:24 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Lee C
What switches ?This is how I check a dipstick
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMKeFspGKbk
transmission pressure switches. There is 3 of them located on different spots of the transmission.
The following users liked this post:
Lee C (08-29-2017)
Old 08-29-2017, 02:58 PM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
transmission pressure switches. There is 3 of them located on different spots of the transmission.
Do you remember what the cost was.Thanks
Old 09-06-2017, 03:05 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Lee C
Do you remember what the cost was.Thanks
OP mentions it on the first post. About $40 per pieces

I also bought three tranny shift sensors (40 bux a piece) which I will change out when I do my 3x3.
I never knew there were sensors that we need to change out. Its not required right?