60K Service - Oil/Transmission/Differential changes

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 01:25 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
60K Service - Oil/Transmission/Differential changes

OK – so I’ve got my 60K maintenance right around the corner on a car I recently purchased used (2010 Acura TL SH AWD). Not knowing a whole lot about the previous owner and maintenance records/etc., I plan on completing the following work (detailed below), but have received conflicting information regarding transmission fluid change and the rear differential change. Any advice/thoughts on the below products and procedures?? Will post pictures of the entire process once completed:

Oil Change & Filter
Mobile1 5w20
Mobile1 filter M1-110
Washer replacement

Engine Filter
K&N Filter 33-2403

Cabin Filter
Fresh Breeze Cabin Air Filter

Transmission
I am going to do the full 3x3 flush (there are some great DIY posts on here). After mulling over Acura Z1 / DW1 (they are phasing out D1), VS synthetic options like Redline or Royal Purple, I have decided to go synthetic – specially, Royal Purple Max ATF. I bought 9 Qts. QUESTION: owner’s manual sites both Transmission Fluid AND Transmission Transfer Fluid?? Do these both need to be changed?? The owner’s manual would lead one to believe ‘Yes’.

Differential
Another confusing topic! This much I know, there is Front and Rear Differential fluid that I need to change. I have seen Honda refer to the Front Differential and a Transfer Case as one-and-the-same, and have also seen people refer to the Rear Differential as the Transfer Case. QUESTION: I plan to replace the front differential with 75w90 gear fluid (meaning it’s should actually be called the transfer case), and replace the rear with 3Qts Royal Purple Max ATF (same as my transmission fluid – and not the OEM DPSF fluid)… is this right?? Thoughts on going synthetic?

I am not sure what condition the brake fluid is in, but plan to change at next oil change (about 58K) and inspect brakes. I will also have tires rotated and balanced.

Recommendations/thoughts?? I’ve read mixed reviews on power steering and various spark plugs, so I am steering clear for now.

Pictures to follow.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:50 PM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
totally unrelated.. but damn you already have 60k..
Old 09-11-2012, 02:51 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yea- someone put some serious miles on this... Was only tittled for 1y 9mon
Old 09-11-2012, 04:17 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by potmilkz
totally unrelated.. but damn you already have 60k..
I have 44000 on my 2012 Shawd tl tech. Been great to me so far.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:22 PM
lji
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts
OK – so I’ve got my 60K maintenance right around the corner on a car I recently purchased used (2010 Acura TL SH AWD). Not knowing a whole lot about the previous owner and maintenance records/etc., I plan on completing the following work (detailed below), but have received conflicting information regarding transmission fluid change and the rear differential change. Any advice/thoughts on the below products and procedures?? Will post pictures of the entire process once completed:

Oil Change & Filter
Mobile1 5w20
Mobile1 filter M1-110
Washer replacement

Engine Filter
K&N Filter 33-2403

Cabin Filter
Fresh Breeze Cabin Air Filter

Transmission
I am going to do the full 3x3 flush (there are some great DIY posts on here). After mulling over Acura Z1 / DW1 (they are phasing out D1), VS synthetic options like Redline or Royal Purple, I have decided to go synthetic – specially, Royal Purple Max ATF. I bought 9 Qts. QUESTION: owner’s manual sites both Transmission Fluid AND Transmission Transfer Fluid?? Do these both need to be changed?? The owner’s manual would lead one to believe ‘Yes’.

The owner's manual cites to change the Transmission Fluid and Transfer Fluid on SH-AWD models during the '3' service. The transfer fluid is referring to your front differential (0.45 qts).

Differential
Another confusing topic! This much I know, there is Front and Rear Differential fluid that I need to change. I have seen Honda refer to the Front Differential and a Transfer Case as one-and-the-same, and have also seen people refer to the Rear Differential as the Transfer Case. QUESTION: I plan to replace the front differential with 75w90 gear fluid (meaning it’s should actually be called the transfer case), and replace the rear with 3Qts Royal Purple Max ATF (same as my transmission fluid – and not the OEM DPSF fluid)… is this right?? Thoughts on going synthetic?

The '6' service calls to replace your rear differential fluid (2.67 qts). Also, the manual calls to replace the front differential fluid with SAE 90 (above 0 deg F) or SAE 80W-90 (below 0 deg F) hypoid gear oil (API service classified as GL4 or GL5 only).

I am not sure what condition the brake fluid is in, but plan to change at next oil change (about 58K) and inspect brakes. I will also have tires rotated and balanced.

You can wait until next year to change the brake fluid since the manual calls to change it out every 3 years regardless of mileage.

Recommendations/thoughts?? I’ve read mixed reviews on power steering and various spark plugs, so I am steering clear for now.

I don't think the 4th gen TL's have a power steering fluid to replace since they've switched over to electric power steering. I would wait till 100k-120k for the spark plugs unless you notice the engine misfire or really bad gas mileage.

Pictures to follow.

See my thoughts in red above.
The following users liked this post:
edm365f31 (02-18-2014)