4g TL (2012 SH-AWD ADVANCED) Stall when on Hills.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 03:17 PM
Pro

Received 114 Likes on 69 Posts
4g TL (2012 SH-AWD ADVANCED) Stall when on Hills.

I have a 2012 TL SH-AWD Advanced.
The car has a stalling issue that no Acura dealer service department can figure out.
The stall only happens when I am driving or parking on an incline or decline...a hill essentially.
I'll explain how it stalls as best I can. For example:

Lets say im heading UP a hill and I come to a stop light, I break, The light turns green I release the break about to accelerate and it stalls.

OR

You're parallel parking on a decline (front of car facing down hill), you lightly accelerate to maneuver into the spot. You remove foot off gas pedal to apply breaks to change gears and it stalls. I have noticed with a cold engine it never does it. But in the evenings after my long commute home it does it.

I've recently had the transmission AND torque converter replaced, and Acura did a computer update as well with a letter sent out about 4g TL torque converter issues.

So Ive taken my car to two dealerships already and they can never seem to replicate the problem. I live rather far from Local Acura Dealers so bringing them to my home, and parking to show them is sort of out of the question for them.

I have attached videos of it so you can see the RMPs, etc.

Do you guys think its something to do with the fuel delivery system?
Old 02-15-2017, 09:26 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
troubleshooting 101
always start with what makes an engine run..
air, fuel, and spark.

to me, a stall would mean that the engine is not receiving the proper air, fuel, and spark mixture...
the car has EGR valves and PCV valves.
inspect them to make sure they are not clogged.
next, you'll look for any un-hooked hoses..
then look at spark plugs.
then look at fuel injectors
Old 02-15-2017, 10:17 AM
Pro

Thank you. I would imagine the Acura Service techs would have checked this? I am thinking to just go to an outside mechanic.
These Acura Service guys don't like to be told what the problem is. Instead they prefer to make you wait days without a call and charge you to find nothing.
And these guys charge me close to 180 to check the car and diagnose it.
I'm so discouraged. But I'll give these potential issues a shot.
Thank you, genuinely.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (02-15-2017)
Old 02-15-2017, 10:27 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
it's because they are not mechanics, rather...glorified part replacers.
I am a backyard mechanic or a hobbiest and enjoy searching for problems and solutions.
I assume the dealerships are under time constraints and that makes it harder to properly diagnose something, as they want to replace the parts for time. and obviously $$

if you know of an independent garage or mechanic, it would probably be better to get a diagnosis from him/them.
Old 02-15-2017, 12:17 PM
Pro

Here are a few links of my car actually stalling. This is also what I've used with each dealer.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zj7am9p0g8..._5702.mp4?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bq9cpudsvy..._5703.mp4?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s27k8vatcu..._5712.mp4?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p3ocmqn8ag..._5944.mp4?dl=0
Old 02-16-2017, 03:08 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
I am thinking out loud, the obvious... since you had your transmission replaced, whoever did this work had to drop the entire subframe, therefore disconnecting the engine and transmission harness. Is it possible that things didn't go well when it came time to re-connect everything? It may be a good idea to look around the engine bay for damaged (visible) connectors and wires, or ask some mechanic to lift the car up on a hoist and check. Other thought in my mind is that the software update either didn't go well and needs to be re-done or the wrong version was uploaded. Final thought, if the dealership isn't helpful, touch base with Acura Client Relations at (800) 382-2238 (and 888-922-8729 in Canada), compile the info you want to give them and let them deal with it. They are more than keen to deal with cases like that because they know at the end of the day any Acura dealership won't lose you to another Acura dealership but the brand will lose a customer to Lexus. Just my 2 cents...

PS. justnspace... "glorified parts replacers", allow me to paraphrase: "glorified risk avoiding part replacers" LOL LOL !!!
Old 03-08-2017, 10:16 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Tonyware
I am thinking out loud, the obvious... since you had your transmission replaced, whoever did this work had to drop the entire subframe, therefore disconnecting the engine and transmission harness. Is it possible that things didn't go well when it came time to re-connect everything? It may be a good idea to look around the engine bay for damaged (visible) connectors and wires, or ask some mechanic to lift the car up on a hoist and check. Other thought in my mind is that the software update either didn't go well and needs to be re-done or the wrong version was uploaded. Final thought, if the dealership isn't helpful, touch base with Acura Client Relations at (800) 382-2238 (and 888-922-8729 in Canada), compile the info you want to give them and let them deal with it. They are more than keen to deal with cases like that because they know at the end of the day any Acura dealership won't lose you to another Acura dealership but the brand will lose a customer to Lexus. Just my 2 cents...

PS. justnspace... "glorified parts replacers", allow me to paraphrase: "glorified risk avoiding part replacers" LOL LOL !!!
I sent an email to Acura Client Relations. I'll wait to hear back from them. I should have waited though...I made the mistake of sending the email when I was angry. Hopefully that doesn't discourage my case from receiving a thorough investigation and response.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:18 AM
Pro

Also anybody got any ideas on OBD2 kits or software that can record the stall? That way I can see exactly whats failing?
Old 12-19-2017, 11:28 AM
Pro

Just wanted to update everyone. My issue is solved with the Unique symptom of stalling when on an incline. It took a lot of things being replaced in stages and thank God Acura honored their product
and graced me to be covered under warranty alongside my own Extended warranty Company...together made the burden more bearable.

• Transmission/Torque Converter Replacement (Clutches Burned)...This would be my SECOND transmission installed. First Dealership I think didn't know what they were doing. OR was just bad tranny. The second install was done CORRECTLY by another dealership. What a difference a transmission makes.
• Throttle Body (Thought might be sticking, Stall Continued After Replacement)
• Belt Tensioners and Belts and water pump replaced (All ticks of any-kind at cold start up went away, made it purrr like a giant panther at start up now.)
• Mass AirFlow Sensor (this is suspected to be the main cause and SUPER hard to diagnose) But if your car stalls on an incline or only in reverse, its worth switching out the Mass AirFlow Sensor...
• Break Fluid Exhange (HUGE difference in stopping power...HUGE

It finally drives like a always believed it could. Its fast with seemingly limitless acceleration. The torque is thick...its seriously a thrill to drive. Even daily commutes get me excited.
Now all I have to get rid of is this metallic rattle during some take offs...based on thumbing through the forum apparently there's hundreds of us that have the same problem.
ONce thats fixed...I think it might hit the perfection point for me. Sorry but Im pretty damned enthusiastic about my TL.. LOL
It has chnaged the way I see my car.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:10 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
same problem

Hello There,

I have the same problem as you. I have an Acura MDX 2011. My car has been stalling on hills since the first year I bought it. I have been taking my car to the Acura dealership for years but unfortunately they can't find the problem or replicate it. How did you have Acura solving your problem?
thank you,
Uchi
Old 01-14-2019, 12:44 PM
Pro

I got so caught up in the cycle of replacing things to fix, i cant quite pinpoint an exact fix.
However, let me search for all my dealer receipts over the years of chasing that stall fix.
off the top of my head heres a few things that might help. After I look at my work orders i'll fill in the gaps.

Start here. Cheapest
Use whats called Seafoam Motor Treatment. Wallmart 16oz.
I used 2 bottles Every Time I filled up. totaling 4 Treatments.
• Let tank get almost empty, at pump, prior to gas, pour in Both Bottles of Sea-foam
• Fill Car with gasoline (NO LESS THAN A FuLL TANK WITH GASOLINE

you WILL notice more horsepower. You will notice more low end torque and you will notice the stalls will happen less.

Second Option
I had a malfunction of whats called an eVAP purge valve that triggered a Check emissions system light.
had it replaced. the stalls became shudders. Significantly less stalls but more shudders or "almost stalling"

Third Option
Replaced the Transmission fluid and Rear Differential and it stopped on uphills forward. But continued to stall when in reverse, for example parallel parking on a hill with the nose of the car facing downhill.

Fourth Option
I replaced/exchanged whats called transfer case fluid at dealer. The reverse stall stopped. I came across this because my car was rattling on acceleration between 2-4 rpm and in chasing that issue I not only fixed The Rattle but the stall was fixed also.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:35 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Uchi11
Hello There,

I have the same problem as you. I have an Acura MDX 2011. My car has been stalling on hills since the first year I bought it. I have been taking my car to the Acura dealership for years but unfortunately they can't find the problem or replicate it. How did you have Acura solving your problem?
thank you,
Uchi
Did you try any of the above?