2012 SH-AWD - Metallic Sound While Turning

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 06:50 PM
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
2012 SH-AWD - Metallic Sound While Turning

Hey guys,

I have this issue that is getting louder as time goes on. When I turn left I am hearing a grinding/metallic type sound. Going straight or turning right is no problem. No other drive-ability issues, as of now it is only a sound I'm hearing.

I've attached a video I took.

Could this be a bad axle?

Any help would be much appreciated!!
Old 06-20-2017, 09:35 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 150 Posts
The sound is subtle and difficult to hear. I don't think it's axles. They are more of a heavier clunk/bang sound three times for every revolution of the wheel/tire. Keep us posted.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:38 AM
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Maybe brakes? I had a stuck caliper that was louder when turning.

Also check the dust shield behind the brake rotors, rocks can get stuck back there between the rotor and dust shield and would sound like this.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:41 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Originally Posted by alxhastngs
Maybe brakes? I had a stuck caliper that was louder when turning.

Also check the dust shield behind the brake rotors, rocks can get stuck back there between the rotor and dust shield and would sound like this.
Most def. a scraping noise. Just like this gentleman said; it could be a stuck caliper that is scraping or rocks scraping...or even the dust shield bent and is scraping.
OP needs to inspect !!
Old 06-20-2017, 12:09 PM
Instructor

Front pads were done before I got the car in June 2016 and everything has been fine until recently. I will definitely check though. It really sounds like a dust/heat shield that is rubbing. I'm super busy with work for the next week or so but will check when I have a chance and report back. Thanks guys!
Old 06-21-2017, 05:25 PM
LNJ
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Mickman
Hey guys,

I have this issue that is getting louder as time goes on. When I turn left I am hearing a grinding/metallic type sound. Going straight or turning right is no problem. No other drive-ability issues, as of now it is only a sound I'm hearing.

I've attached a video I took.

Could this be a bad axle?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPyvmCARe-0

Any help would be much appreciated!!
Holy deja vu! I have the same sound on left turns only. I didn't notice it until after I got my summer tires put on. And even then I can't quite pinpoint how long after that was done before I started hearing it.
Let me know once you figure it out....I tried putting my fingers behind the rotor as much as I could to see if there is anything stuck between the shield and rotors but couldn't feel anything!
Old 06-21-2017, 07:33 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
Now I do recall from my Accord days, way back, similar sounds when all 5 lug nuts were a lot more tight. Maybe re-torque those nuts? I think the spec is 95lb/ft?
Old 06-23-2017, 04:18 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dust shield?
Old 06-28-2017, 08:35 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That is the dust shield. Remove your tire and you will see a wear mark from where it is rubbing on the rotor during turns. Bend it back, put on the tire, and you will be happy.
Old 06-29-2017, 09:42 PM
Instructor

I didn't get a chance to update, but nismod05 was completely right.

I took off the tires to check and that is exactly what it was. I bent the dust shield back and the sound has been gone for 4 or 5 days now. I must have hit the dust shield when I was changing over to my summer tires.

Great when it turns out to be a simple fix like this. Thanks guys!!!