Lock help. New owner

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 01:02 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lock help. New owner

Hey guys i bought a used 2009 TL Tech package. Everything checks out on it, only problem i started encountering other day was the smart key, it won't lock or unlock the doors. I don't know whats wrong. I called the previous owner he said it was giving him trouble as well. I changed the battery and everything in regards to the remote itself still nothing. But i did get it a huge discount so i understand some issues like this. I was curious if anyone here has an idea of what could be going on?

Basically it won't lock or unlock, when i try pressing the driver side exterior lock button it beeps and does not lock. the car starts fine with the push to start just nothing is locking using the keys. The key itself needs oil so i can lock it haven't had time to go out and get grease. Any idea what could be up? Thank you in advance.

Here is video of the issue i am having:

Old 06-25-2017, 01:39 PM
Slyonefoya

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by pacha_mas
Hey guys i bought a used 2009 TL Tech package. Everything checks out on it, only problem i started encountering other day was the smart key, it won't lock or unlock the doors. I don't know whats wrong. I called the previous owner he said it was giving him trouble as well. I changed the battery and everything in regards to the remote itself still nothing. But i did get it a huge discount so i understand some issues like this. I was curious if anyone here has an idea of what could be going on?

Basically it won't lock or unlock, when i try pressing the driver side exterior lock button it beeps and does not lock. the car starts fine with the push to start just nothing is locking using the keys. The key itself needs oil so i can lock it haven't had time to go out and get grease. Any idea what could be up? Thank you in advance.

Here is video of the issue i am having:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56vC7xfkjLE
Go to the keyless entry settings on your MID and see do you have it set to unlock from the handle. In the video you only cycled through the main menu. You didn't actually go into the keyless entry settings. You stated that it showed for driver 2. What happens when you try to unlock and lock with the driver 1 remote? What happens when you go to the door and access the unlock function from the handle when it's set to driver 1?
Old 06-26-2017, 07:49 AM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
You are touching the unlock sensor (at the back of the handle) and pressing the lock button at the same time. Try not to touch the rear of the handle while pressing the lock button.
Other thoughts: as the previous poster said, go through the menu in the MID and enter the keyless settings. Play with that for a bit. As far as the oiling of the key, the key cylinder on our cars tends to go bad, mine did too (rusted inside) and I changed it. Also, there was a recall a long time ago for the sensors inside the hole where you can insert the key on the right of the steering wheel. Not sure what the issue was back then but you can go to an Acura dealership and ask (with your VIN) if the fix was applied to your car. Other thought I have is that those buttons on the doors tend to go bad too, but its not the buttons themselves but the software that controls the locking/unlocking. Sometimes the car thinks its already locked and pressing the button won't do anything, or perhaps the sensors think the key is in the car and it won't lock. Disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it a few minutes later (and keep the key far away from the car while you do that) I have found out that solves the issue for a few weeks or months. Also, if you live close to an airport or high tension wires / hydro towers that may have an effect on the remote, i.e. the car thinks that all these frequencies are messing it up so it won't do anything. Start with the battery disconnect/connect and see what happens then...

(be safe!)
Old 06-26-2017, 09:57 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
I agree with Tonyware. It appears as though you're hand is triggering the unlock sensor at the same time you're trying to lock it. Don't put your hand in the handle when pressing the lock button and see if that works.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 150 Posts
Do all the doors lock and unlock when you press the lock/unlock button near the internal door handle?
Old 06-26-2017, 02:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 150 Posts
If you have a 2nd key fob: does this malfunction exist when using the 2nd key fob?
Old 07-01-2017, 01:17 AM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Dont forget to chek in the glove compartment if the switch for remote lock/unlock is on the ON position

The following users liked this post:
Anicra (07-07-2017)