XLR8 Performance Exhaust Parts - Many New Updates!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 04:51 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
XLR8 Performance Exhaust Parts - Many New Updates!!!

We are proud to offer a lineup of exhaust products and more for the Acurazine community under our brand XLR8 Performance. While our exhaust products are high quality and well-designed there is always room for improvement. So we have made the following updates to our XLR8 Performance exhaust systems and components:

1. Beginning the end of January all our exhaust systems will now come with mufflers with new PRT (Purge Resonance Technology) technology. This technology includes a new combination of muffler packing and sound cancellation. Using both methods (packing and sound cancellation) results in virtually no drone and a deep throaty sound in our exhaust systems. The packing is also two-part: it uses stainless steel mesh wrapped by a specially engineered ceramic weave. This ensures a deep sound and a life time product.

This new design, of course, is more expensive to manufacture. However, for now, we will be absorbing the additional cost, and thus we are providing this new technology at no cost to the customer.

2. All XLR8 J-pipes will now come with the gaskets needed for installation. Previously, we had recommended customers use high temp silicone, which works perfectly. However, to help alleviate any issues, we will include gaskets now.

3. All XLR8 exhaust systems with now have our XLR8 logo etched on the top of the exhaust tips.

4. We have a number of new parts due in in about a month:

We're happy to bring you these updates. We also have our new engine mounts and our upgraded engine torque damper for the M/T TL also in the works. Stay tuned!!!
    Old 01-08-2010, 05:05 PM
    Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
    For the noobs out here with 4G's we want to make faster, can some talk about these parts in laymans terms?
    • XLR8 J-pipe for the 09+ TL AWD
    • XLR8 High Flow Cat for the 09+ TL AWD
    • XLR8 Test Pipe for the 09+ TL AWD
    What should we expect to see/hear by getting each one?
    Old 01-08-2010, 08:14 PM
    Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
    Originally Posted by petec2010
    For the noobs out here with 4G's we want to make faster, can some talk about these parts in laymans terms?
    Same here!

Great news indeed!
    Old 01-08-2010, 08:25 PM
    I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
    Here are some of my results from adding similar parts on my 3G TL-S 5AT

J-Pipe - I gained 11whp/12wtq
    Exhaust - I gained 12whp/12wtq

I never had a test pipe, put i had a Hi Flow Cat.... i gained about 5whp from the Hi flow cat... a test pipe should be good for about +1 more whp....

If you were to add all three to your car at once, get ready to be amazed. You will gain close to 20-25whp

The J-Pipe, is probably going to be the best bang for your $$$

If Pre-Cat deletes are built for the 4G, those little suckers will get you another 15-20whp

Josh -- Are the products already going into production? Any proto-type pictures or preliminary dyno results?
    Old 01-08-2010, 10:20 PM
    Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
    It's sad to see no FWD exhaust parts
    Old 01-08-2010, 10:23 PM
    I have car ADD

^ i am sure there will be one soon enough
    Old 01-09-2010, 01:01 AM
    Colorado Springs

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts
    I'm so excited about this, you wouldn't believe...

I'm one of those that go way overboard on modifications to their car, but also has seen the negative effects of what happens when you do too much. In my opinion, the J-Pipe is the ultimate upgrade while still retaining all factory O2 sensors and catalytic convertors. This is a plus because I don't ever want to have to deal with the headaches of dealing with thrown codes on an OBDIIb ECU, ugh.

After a while, the people with 3rd cat deletes or 3rd cat replacements with a high flow cat will give their testimonials on how the car did with these upgrades, but until then, I will be keeping it the way it is.

I think a J-Pipe upgrade with a Takeda Intake is going to make some definite kick-in-the-pants feeling when you get on it!
    Old 01-09-2010, 04:56 AM
    I have car ADD

Originally Posted by prepreludesh
    I'm so excited about this, you wouldn't believe...

I'm one of those that go way overboard on modifications to their car, but also has seen the negative effects of what happens when you do too much. In my opinion, the J-Pipe is the ultimate upgrade while still retaining all factory O2 sensors and catalytic convertors. This is a plus because I don't ever want to have to deal with the headaches of dealing with thrown codes on an OBDIIb ECU, ugh.

After a while, the people with 3rd cat deletes or 3rd cat replacements with a high flow cat will give their testimonials on how the car did with these upgrades, but until then, I will be keeping it the way it is.

I think a J-Pipe upgrade with a Takeda Intake is going to make some definite kick-in-the-pants feeling when you get on it!
    I'll tell ya one thing man. I put all these mods on my type-s, within like the first 12 months of owning it. then i put 34k miles on the car. i never got a CEL, issue, problem or even a hiccup in the cars reliability.

Acura builds these cars well. I'd probably never do pre-cat deletes again though. the intense heat practically WELDED the deletes to my engine block. it took 20,000V of electricity to get the 02 sensor out. and i ended up destroying it anyway.

The defoulers work very well with this cars Emissions system. (at least the 3G /7G Accord V6)

What i am excited about the most is the exhaust system... it looks like Josh paid special mind to the sound quality, because almost every exhaust system for the 3G would make your head hurt. I'd love a low aggresive zippy/rumble that didnt drone the entire cabin.
    Old 01-09-2010, 06:58 AM
    Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
    Thank you guys, your help is greatly appreciated!
    Old 01-09-2010, 12:01 PM
    Former Sponsor

The j-pipe is the pipe after the pre-cats. The high flow cat replaces the third cat, which is after the j-pipe. Typical gains on the j-pipe, based on the 3rd gen, should be 10whp and 15-20 wtq.

Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY
    Josh -- Are the products already going into production? Any proto-type pictures or preliminary dyno results?
    The jigs have been built and they are in production. I don't have any pics yet but I should have product within 3-4 weeks.

Originally Posted by PhoenixUnit
    It's sad to see no FWD exhaust parts
    They are coming. We have seen more of a demand for AWD parts thus far and also CleanCL helped me with a j-pipe for the AWD so it made it easier.

What i am excited about the most is the exhaust system... it looks like Josh paid special mind to the sound quality, because almost every exhaust system for the 3G would make your head hurt. I'd love a low aggresive zippy/rumble that didnt drone the entire cabin.
    Yes, the new PRT technology will eliminate the drone issues encountered on most aftermarket exhausts on the TL's. Drone is basically low speed resonance; when you give the car some gas the drone goes away b/c the exhaust speeds up. With this new muffler technology, drone should not be an issue.
    Old 01-10-2010, 05:23 PM
    Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
    Im for sure getting the Intake, J-pipe and Hi-Flow Cat over the summer. I need to hear how the exhaust sounds with the j-pipe and hi-flow cat before i buy it though. If its going to sound how you guys describe it, then its a for sure purchase. I never had a car where i can do mods to so Im acting like a little kid right now about this lol
    Old 01-10-2010, 10:23 PM
    Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
    Good news. Looking forward to the j-pipe.

Quick question though: with the test pipe, you can't pass emissions right?
    Old 01-11-2010, 12:20 PM
    Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by jwjang86
    Good news. Looking forward to the j-pipe.

Quick question though: with the test pipe, you can't pass emissions right?
    You will still have your pre-cats; the 3rd cat is the one being eliminated. And the test pipe has tabs for the factory heat shield so it looks like the original part is still there.

Now if you are in CA you won't pass but again your primary cats are still in place.
    Old 01-11-2010, 01:09 PM
    Colorado Springs

If a hi-flow cat was installed for the third cat, would it pass emissions?

My 98 Prelude had a Random Technologies Stainless Steel Cat with DC Headers and Greddy Evo2 exhaust and actually passed Texas emissions. This was in late 2005 though...
    Old 01-11-2010, 05:39 PM
    Suzuka Master

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
    I'm waiting patiently. Say the word and I'll be at the shop. ;]
    Old 01-12-2010, 01:38 PM
    Former Sponsor

If a hi-flow cat was installed for the third cat, would it pass emissions?

My 98 Prelude had a Random Technologies Stainless Steel Cat with DC Headers and Greddy Evo2 exhaust and actually passed Texas emissions. This was in late 2005 though...
    It should, unless you are in CA.
    Old 01-12-2010, 01:48 PM
    Colorado Springs

I visited the Excelerate website the other day and didn't see prices or listings for the new items you're selling?
    Old 01-12-2010, 01:59 PM
    Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
    Originally Posted by Excelerate
    4. We have a number of new parts due in in about a month:
      • XLR8 High Flow Cat for the 04-08 TL (All)
    patience.. haha
    Old 01-12-2010, 08:07 PM
    I have car ADD

I visited the Excelerate website the other day and didn't see prices or listings for the new items you're selling?
    Josh's prices are fair and in line with the cost of production. i would "guess-timate"

$1000-$1100 Exhaust
    $375-$400 - Jpipe
    $250-$300 - Hi Flow Cat

Let's hope for a Group buy
    Old 01-12-2010, 08:08 PM
    I have car ADD

Out of curiosity, will the exhaust mimic the piping of the FWD or the AWD TL? I know the AWD has more piping, and an "almost" true dual system... which may lead to higher production costs
    Old 01-13-2010, 09:20 AM
    Former Sponsor

Out of curiosity, will the exhaust mimic the piping of the FWD or the AWD TL? I know the AWD has more piping, and an "almost" true dual system... which may lead to higher production costs
    The exhaust isn't in production yet. I still haven't had anyone volunteer for test fitment.

The j-pipe and third cat are in production b/c CleanCL volunteered parts to make them with.
    Old 01-13-2010, 09:39 AM
    Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
    The exhaust isn't in production yet. I still haven't had anyone volunteer for test fitment.

The j-pipe and third cat are in production b/c CleanCL volunteered parts to make them with.
    Hey Josh,

Acura is going to be buying my car back, but in the meantime I'll have it for a couple of weeks and will need to stop by your shop to have the mods removed anyway. If you want to poke and prod it while it's there, will that help?
    Old 01-14-2010, 01:41 PM
    Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by BigWopHH
    Hey Josh,

Acura is going to be buying my car back, but in the meantime I'll have it for a couple of weeks and will need to stop by your shop to have the mods removed anyway. If you want to poke and prod it while it's there, will that help?
    Really, why are they buying it back? Was it a lemon?

Sure, just give me a call to set up an appointment. Thank you for the offer with the exhaust but I would need the car to go to the fabricator in Phoenix, AZ.
    Old 01-14-2010, 02:34 PM
    Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
    Cracked welds on one of the pillars.
    Old 01-14-2010, 02:39 PM
    Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
    Hey Blackura, Im a new member to the site and looking for wheels, yours look great can you tell me the set up you have? I also noticed in another photo you tinted the rear lens, was it difficult?
    Old 01-14-2010, 05:19 PM
    Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
    Really, why are they buying it back? Was it a lemon?

Sure, just give me a call to set up an appointment. Thank you for the offer with the exhaust but I would need the car to go to the fabricator in Phoenix, AZ.
    Yeah, it was a lemon. I have the exact same car on order though, so all the mods will go back on the new one.

It had a broken weld on the b-pillar, that was supposed to be fixed, but wasn't, and now everything's just torqued enough that they can't stop all the creaks and rattles.
    Old 01-17-2010, 10:49 AM
    5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
    thanks guys for doing parts for the 4g tl awd . when will pricing be ava.
    Old 01-18-2010, 11:49 AM
    '10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
    I'll tell ya one thing man. I put all these mods on my type-s, within like the first 12 months of owning it. then i put 34k miles on the car. i never got a CEL, issue, problem or even a hiccup in the cars reliability.

Acura builds these cars well. I'd probably never do pre-cat deletes again though. the intense heat practically WELDED the deletes to my engine block. it took 20,000V of electricity to get the 02 sensor out. and i ended up destroying it anyway.

The defoulers work very well with this cars Emissions system. (at least the 3G /7G Accord V6)

Yeah, I remember reading something about the TL being ULEV, and having an effect on the temps of the cats. Also something about startup where the cats reach high temps to get the car warmed up faster.

It was in the E-shift Hi-flow cat thread, but anyway story in short is the precats get EXTRAORDINARILY hot and as a result destroyed those cats because they weren't built to withstand those temps. The metal in the ULEV cats are resistant to very high temps, which is why they are so expensive as well, not to mention the metal is difficult to produce.

It doesn't surprise me that, that happened.
    Old 01-20-2010, 10:21 AM
    Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
    Will these mods (and/or the Intake), increase the low end torque on the 4G? That's my only real complaint right now, is that it could use some more at the low end, like 1500 to 2500ish...
    Old 01-20-2010, 10:42 AM
    Former Sponsor

Will these mods (and/or the Intake), increase the low end torque on the 4G? That's my only real complaint right now, is that it could use some more at the low end, like 1500 to 2500ish...
    The pulley and TB spacer and thermal gaskets will help increase low end torque. The j-pipe will also likely increase low end torque.
    Old 01-25-2010, 08:33 PM
    6-SPEED LOVER

Received 122 Likes on 90 Posts

Wat u mean no volunteers!!! Allon (blackura) where u at man, 4G Needs XLR8 exhaust!!!!!
    Old 01-25-2010, 10:23 PM
    I have car ADD

^ needs to be in Phoenix, AZ.... I assume Billy Boat is still the manufacturer
    Old 01-25-2010, 10:25 PM
    I have car ADD

honestly. buy the Takeda intake... i have never seen an SRI (short ram intake) change the powerband on a car that much.... that intake changed the entire lag you feel from 1K-3K RPM

the AEM Cold air intake on my J32 & J35 didnt provide even COMPARABLE results
    Old 01-26-2010, 07:00 AM
    Advanced

i would not mind helping out with this just email me and we can go over the fitmint
    Old 01-26-2010, 06:34 PM
    Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
    any chance we have an update for the awd parts?
    Old 01-26-2010, 08:27 PM
    I have car ADD

^ ive learned, over the years... you're better off not checking for updates... then one day, you come home, and BAM... exhaust is ready to ship
    Old 01-27-2010, 02:03 AM
    Advanced

Excelerate,
    I have an 06 TL. few questions.
    1) does the J-pipe get rid of the precats?
    2) those whp and wtq numbers you listed for the jpipe, are they with stock exhaust or with the aftermarket exhaust system?
    3) do I have to worry about the jpipe being "welded" to the engine due to extreme heat as some of the members were stating above?

Thank you
    Old 01-27-2010, 04:17 AM
    Colorado Springs

1. no
    2. I think he's mentioned before it was with the stock exhaust
    3. The person who was talking about the welding effects was talking about replacing the pre-cats with the actual pre-cat delete kit. Doing this was creating that effect at the flange that bolts the pre-cat onto the cylinder head, not the flange that bolts the pre-cat delete onto the j-pipe.
    Old 01-27-2010, 04:40 AM
    Advanced

thank you prepreludesh. appreciate your help... I am so tempted to order this jpipe! wonder if the exhaust sound changes much.
    Old 02-04-2010, 02:00 AM
    Colorado Springs

Come on Excelerate! We're all patiently waiting!!!

Quick Reply: XLR8 Performance Exhaust Parts - Many New Updates!!!