Weapon r ram air scoop?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 03:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Weapon r ram air scoop?

I am interested to know what the ram air scoop on the weapon r website is, what it does, and how to install it on the tl? I have never heard of such a thing, I searched and found NOTHING!....

HERE IS THE LINK

http://www.weapon-r.com/english/inde...ndex&cPath=529
Old 01-07-2010, 11:34 PM
Burning Brakes

anyone lol?
Old 01-08-2010, 09:58 AM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
Looks like you would connect it to a Ram Air intake to turn it into a Cold Air Intake?
Old 01-08-2010, 11:51 AM
Burning Brakes

Ya but how do you connect a tube to your k&n sri? doesnt make sense to me!
Old 01-29-2010, 10:17 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The ram air kit goes onto the top of the WR Air Filter.. It has a Snout for the Ram Air house to connect... Im sure i dont need to explain Ram Air..

Any other questions.. EMail us.. We will be able to answer your questions asap..
Old 01-30-2010, 02:16 AM
Advanced

wow PERFECT TIMING!!! i was just researching on how to install this.... well i have a secret weapon intake, and i have a 97 CL 1st gen, and when i got my secret weapon intake, i got the ram air kit for free.... but i never got around to actually pay attention to it or installing it, so right now i would like to kno does it REALLY ACTUALLY MAKE A DIFFERENCE? or not.... well i did install the tube for like 2 hours today but it started to rain and i was paranoid cuz it was raining, but ima fully install it and try to mb cut a hole in the stock air box? or something so that cold air really actually goes through that tube, but can i please have an answer on if it actually makes a difference.... x.x i really need advice and help on whether or not i should install this
Old 01-31-2010, 05:11 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Da_twinky
wow PERFECT TIMING!!! i was just researching on how to install this.... well i have a secret weapon intake, and i have a 97 CL 1st gen, and when i got my secret weapon intake, i got the ram air kit for free.... but i never got around to actually pay attention to it or installing it, so right now i would like to kno does it REALLY ACTUALLY MAKE A DIFFERENCE? or not.... well i did install the tube for like 2 hours today but it started to rain and i was paranoid cuz it was raining, but ima fully install it and try to mb cut a hole in the stock air box? or something so that cold air really actually goes through that tube, but can i please have an answer on if it actually makes a difference.... x.x i really need advice and help on whether or not i should install this
I think you should try it on your own..
I have got alot of good results from customers and say they can feel it on the freeway etc... I for one have tried it and it works very well.. I would run it form the top of the air filter and then to the front of the bumper where you can get air.. Dont worry about the rain because intake doesnt have any suction to bring the water up to the filter to cause any type of hydrolock..

In closing.. If i told you IT WORKS .. BLAH BLAH BLAH... you would just think.. YEah what a crock of *&^%... Its best you try it yourself and do your own reviews.. I can only point you in the right direction to install this correctly to get the most out of it.. And the Velocity stack would go on the front of the Hose to help the Ram Air gather more air into the hose..

What i really wanna know is what you thought about the performance of the Secret Weapon Intake System...

Cheers...
Leo..
Old 02-01-2010, 12:04 AM
Advanced

welll first off i would like to THANK YOU!!!! because i actually finally found a good spot to run the ram air kit, i ran it to the front of my car near my signal lights, i know this is a TL forum, but for first gen CL's they would kno what im talking about, THIS IS DEFINITELY A GOOD CHEAP MOD!!!! i get very good results on this car, i would never get enough power when im driving on 2000 rpm, but after i installed it today, i can actually drive on the 2000rpm and the car is still accelerating pretty strongly!!!! im really surprised on how this ram air kit really works. but i dont hear any sound difference. and for the weapon r secret weapon... ITS AMAZING because since intakes dont really do much accept a little bit of acceleration, this intake is really loud, i have a lot of friends that has intakes in their cars and everyone tells me its super loud, in fact its louder that a car w/ muffler and intake. and acceleration is actually improved. but if u get a secret weapon intake, GET THE RAM AIR KIT!!!! IT MAKES A FAT DIFFERENCE!!!! and most likely better gas mileage, but anyways right now i just came back from driving around so im prolly overratting for now but the intake is super loud and acceleration is much better than stock i guess, and for the ram air kit, it actually works, but im just scared that during the rain i get hydro locked.... so please let me know for sure would i get hydrolocked or not...... because im very paraniod xD well sorry for the long paragraph might be bs to you but i enjoy my intake haha xD
Old 02-01-2010, 05:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts
I installed the Short Ram Intake on the TL-S and I felt mid-range power increase but besides that nothing else really, Ram Air is to get colder air into the intake, but to install this at least on the TL's you have to remove the stock ram tubing that comes in the TL..but if you want real good air you could also cut your bumper and use that plastic trim it comes with and go that route, but Do this at your own risk...Enjoy.......

my 2cents...the Weapon R suits me it gives me good mid-range power its quiet when cruising and really sounds aggressive around 4500rpm and Vtec is really heard also.....I would recommend this for a DD street use mod....No worries about rain
Old 02-01-2010, 11:31 PM
Advanced

yeppp the intake is super loud when vtec kicks in and mid range power is when its noticable, and also i really want a solid answer...... like hopefully from people that either ran the ram air kit exposing it to the wind and where the water can actually get in, because the place where i ran my ram air kit is literally in the openings of my front bumper and supposely there is a storm 2m so i dunno if i should take off the ram air kit or not..... x.x please ineed help and answers asap....
Old 02-02-2010, 07:32 AM
Colorado Springs

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts
Just my $.02, but I can't believe how big of a deal you all are making out of the increases of power you can feel from trying to direct cooler air towards your engine. If you could extract 2hp out of doing anything like this, I would be surprised. Just my
Old 02-02-2010, 11:18 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,842 Likes on 8,573 Posts
The stock intake already has a ~cold air scoop. There's a few 3G members with this on their SRI's. I agree that the gains are minimal if at all.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:15 PM
Advanced

lol i made a big deal cuz its actually amazing on how this little tube can actually add some power to the car, and can i really get hydrolocked for this? my tube is like 3-4 inches from the ground...
Old 02-02-2010, 10:24 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Da_twinky
lol i made a big deal cuz its actually amazing on how this little tube can actually add some power to the car, and can i really get hydrolocked for this? my tube is like 3-4 inches from the ground...
If you drive thru a puddle that is 3-4 inches high...yup. If I lived in the desert, I wouldn't worry, but anywhere you get lots of rain... no thanks. The benefits are not worth needing a new engine.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:02 PM
5th Gear

its a neat concept until you think about the troubles of hydrolocking...
Old 02-17-2010, 02:10 AM
10th Gear

Dont see how it would hydro lock if the ram air hose goes in FRONT of the air filter.. Its not like the AIR filter is at the bottom sucking in air.. so even if you have submerged the mouth of the hose.. the air filter will grab air safely from the engine compartment.. I dont think you fully understand how the kit works..
Old 02-17-2010, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by WRLEO
Dont see how it would hydro lock if the ram air hose goes in FRONT of the air filter.. Its not like the AIR filter is at the bottom sucking in air.. so even if you have submerged the mouth of the hose.. the air filter will grab air safely from the engine compartment.. I dont think you fully understand how the kit works..
Under sufficient load, the filter will draw in water from the ram / snorkel if it is indeed submerged, but you'd have to be a dipshit to do that. In wet conditions the filter can still suck up water through the ram but no where significant enough to compromise the engine, in fact it would probably be more beneficial than detrimental.
Old 02-17-2010, 03:11 PM
Colorado Springs

I think half of us understand what the weapon-R intake does and what the weapon-R cold air tubing does...

So in order so I can understand it better, I decided to do a shitty MS Paint drawing of how I understand it to work.

Note that the cold air tubing does not actually connect to the short air Weapon-R intake, it just positions the outlet close enough to the intake to suck up some of that cooler air that should be coming in from the bottom (inlet) and working its way up.

Am I way off on this?
Old 02-17-2010, 03:13 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by prepreludesh
I think half of us understand what the weapon-R intake does and what the weapon-R cold air tubing does...

So in order so I can understand it better, I decided to do a shitty MS Paint drawing of how I understand it to work.

Note that the cold air tubing does not actually connect to the short air Weapon-R intake, it just positions the outlet close enough to the intake to suck up some of that cooler air that should be coming in from the bottom (inlet) and working its way up.
Am I way off on this?

Isn't that what is already in our cars? I swear, when I took my bumper off I saw a pipe down by the wheel, which looks like it went up to the intake.
Old 02-17-2010, 03:14 PM
Colorado Springs

oh and one last thing I meant to put... If this truly is how it's supposed to be set up (pictured above) then there would be no danger of hydrolocking. The intake would just suck in air around it instead, not through the unconnected tube.

That would be like putting a straw in your drink, and puckering up an inch away from the straw and sucking in as much as you could. It's still not going to bring the liquid up from the straw, haha.
Old 02-17-2010, 03:16 PM
Colorado Springs

Originally Posted by petec2010
Isn't that what is already in our cars? I swear, when I took my bumper off I saw a pipe down by the wheel, which looks like it went up to the intake.

Yes, you are correct. Although the pipe down by your wheel are generally considered inferior to a true cold air setup because factory resonator boxes like that usually have a "snorkel" that protrudes somewhere from the box in your fender that measures like 3/4 the diameter of the actual tubing that runs from your air filter to the throttle body.
Old 02-17-2010, 03:21 PM

The ram / tube connects to the filter directly.. it fits over the end of the filter pictured below.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:32 PM
Intermediate

Can this filter and ram be used on the Takeda unit???
Old 02-22-2010, 03:39 PM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
yeah anywhere with standing water or snow you'll be SOL. but the good the about a tube is, you can just take it off
but... i have the weaponR dragon intake think that i could mod it to fit?
Old 02-22-2010, 11:36 PM
Colorado Springs

^^ No dude, hydrolocking isn't a threat with this weapon R intake. I can see it now.

Imagine this, you're in a restaurant drinking your coke through a straw, when I come up and jab a screwdriver through both of your cheeks and pulled it out. As you continue to try and suck the water up, your mouth won't be able to make a vacuum out of the straw anymore, you would simply start sucking in the air through the new holes in your cheeks.

Therefore, I guess I do agree with the Weapon R guy that there is no chance of hydrolocking with an intake like this.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:22 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by prepreludesh
^^ No dude, hydrolocking isn't a threat with this weapon R intake. I can see it now.

Imagine this, you're in a restaurant drinking your coke through a straw, when I come up and jab a screwdriver through both of your cheeks and pulled it out. As you continue to try and suck the water up, your mouth won't be able to make a vacuum out of the straw anymore, you would simply start sucking in the air through the new holes in your cheeks.

Therefore, I guess I do agree with the Weapon R guy that there is no chance of hydrolocking with an intake like this.
1st:

2nd: But if that is the case, then doesn't the addition of that pipe pretty much do nothing, most or all of the air will come in via the engine bay and not near the wheel well?
Old 03-10-2012, 08:36 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
If you rev the engine can you feel any type of suction from the bottom of the ram kit or is it just the veloctiy of the car moving that forces air throuh the plastic tube.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:34 AM
Drifting

Received 416 Likes on 365 Posts
I've never heard of this intake until today, why? Is the weapon R intake not as good as Tekeda/K&N? Does anyone with a 4G have it installed, with or without the extended tubing?
Old 03-11-2012, 10:00 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by Pete2010
1st:

2nd: But if that is the case, then doesn't the addition of that pipe pretty much do nothing, most or all of the air will come in via the engine bay and not near the wheel well?
But once moving the velocity of the cooler air being forced in will meet the draw from the outside part of the filter.

EIther way its not a true ram air as ALL of the air should be directed to the filter and not part of. Many old true ram air setups had an actual vacuum assisted flap either in the hood or in the old air filter housing which sat on top of the carb that under load like when the 4bbl opened it would open a flap diverting the air in. under normal driving like in rain and stuff it wouldnt be open so one didnt have to worry about water getting in.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:56 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,154 Likes on 825 Posts
^^^^^ Like the old Camaro factory ram air system.

The hood had a air scoop to suck in cold outside air, and the air filter was sitting directly underneath and above the top of the engine block.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 244 Likes on 137 Posts
The 4G already has an in-grille cowl that feeds the factory intake, as well as the SRI. If you wanted to buy some aluminum and vacuum cleaner hose and bend yourself a plate around it to ensure all the air was being channeled to the filter, you would probably cut your fingers and waste $40.

Save your time and money - nothing to see here.