Ktuner VS Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 01:59 PM
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts
Ktuner VS Coilovers

So I can't decide which to buy first, my mods so far are Takeda intake, custom exhaust, HFPC, A-spec kit. The ktuner is cheaper and i know it will improve the cars performance, but its a daily and i don't really drive that aggressive. Im worried that without the tune my HFPC's may fail prematurely. After reading some of the ktuner posts it seems like the takeda intake hurts performance with the base tune, and i would need to get a custom tune for max gains. For the coils i do want the lower my car not only for the aesthetics but also for the improved handling (mainly for the aesthetics). Those with the ktuner that dont have a custom tune and are running aftermarket intakes do you feel that the purchase was worth it or is my money better spent elsewhere? I have a few other mods i would like to do and i dont mind skipping the Ktuner for now, i just dont want my HFPC to fail early because of it.
Old 03-03-2019, 09:30 PM
Keeping TL until 2029

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts
Color Match Shield, A-SPEC, LED DRL & FOG, HFPC & J-Pipe, K-Tuner.

Check out this post for info on exhausts.

https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-p...mplete-977609/

I looked at Takata Intake and it doesn't look right to me. i.e. Polished tube with a filter on it.

I have been eyeing this when it is available....

https://www.heeltoeauto.com/ct-engin...d-330-075.html

Good luck and welcome to the community!
The following users liked this post:
MrHeeltoe (03-05-2019)
Old 03-04-2019, 11:00 AM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
Those are two completely different mods in terms of their function. I would personally go for the Ktuner first simply because I think the stock suspension on the 4G is pretty good. If it were a 3G I'd say otherwise (way too soft IMO) but the 4G is pretty stiff from the factory. But if the looks and handling are bigger priorities to you than better engine performance, go for the coils first. The Ktuner definitely makes a significant difference though. Especially with the mods you mentioned. Regardless of which one you do first, I'd certainly put it on the list to get eventually. In terms of expense, add another $200 or so for an e-tune. More if done locally.

I doubt your HFPC's are going to fail prematurely due to the lack of a tune. Although a tune will adjust the air/fuel ratio to be more ideal, and produce more power, the A/F O2 sensor is going to do an adequate job of making sure your ratio is at least within the ballpark so you're not running excessively lean or rich, enough so to avoid damage to the HFPC's anyways. Eventually you'll want to get it done but you're probably fine for now. I had the HFPC's for about a year with no tune and never had any problems.
Old 03-04-2019, 11:52 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by losiglow
Those are two completely different mods in terms of their function. I would personally go for the Ktuner first simply because I think the stock suspension on the 4G is pretty good. If it were a 3G I'd say otherwise (way too soft IMO) but the 4G is pretty stiff from the factory. But if the looks and handling are bigger priorities to you than better engine performance, go for the coils first. The Ktuner definitely makes a significant difference though. Especially with the mods you mentioned. Regardless of which one you do first, I'd certainly put it on the list to get eventually. In terms of expense, add another $200 or so for an e-tune. More if done locally.

I doubt your HFPC's are going to fail prematurely due to the lack of a tune. Although a tune will adjust the air/fuel ratio to be more ideal, and produce more power, the A/F O2 sensor is going to do an adequate job of making sure your ratio is at least within the ballpark so you're not running excessively lean or rich, enough so to avoid damage to the HFPC's anyways. Eventually you'll want to get it done but you're probably fine for now. I had the HFPC's for about a year with no tune and never had any problems.
Thanks for the response, I am leaning more towards the ktuner just because its cheaper and i do like the way my car sits with my summers on already without it being lowered. I can pick up the ktuner locally for around $600CDN I will probably go with an e-tune just because a local dyno for me would probably cost over $600.
Old 03-05-2019, 10:09 AM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
I've been very happy with the e-tune. It's more of a process than an onsite tune but kind of fun in a way since you get to see the incremental changes. The only kicker is that you'll need to get to redline in 3rd and 4th in order for them to really tune in ideal A/F ratios at the higher parts of the power band. Redline in 4th is around 125mph the proper way would be to go to an offroad track of some sort, off public roads. The other way would be to find some remote road out in the middle of nowhere. But of course, I would never do that since it's still not legal

Kenny from Turbogixxer has been great. The service and results have been well worth it. Go to Turbogixxertuning.com for more info.
echodigital (03-06-2019)
Old 03-05-2019, 03:22 PM
Instructor

I did some shopping around for dyno tune shops around me i'm looking to pay around $600 -$650CDN flat rate there are actually alot of AWD dyno's around me. I will probably just go with that because i would rather avoid getting pulled over and having my car crushed lol before i even finalize the tune.
Old 03-05-2019, 04:48 PM
The inconvenient truth

Received 436 Likes on 322 Posts
Where can you get the Ktuner locally for $600?
Old 03-05-2019, 05:01 PM
Instructor

https://ecutuner.ca/ktuner-flash-v1-2-ecu-tuner.html

Kijiji its from Ecutuner.ca they only have the V2 listed but they have the 1.2V in stock for $559.99

I still need to come down to St.Catherines to hear your set up but im going to wait until the weather gets warmer
Old 03-05-2019, 06:53 PM
Drifting

Received 671 Likes on 541 Posts
Originally Posted by Unknownerror0010011
I did some shopping around for dyno tune shops around me i'm looking to pay around $600 -$650CDN flat rate there are actually alot of AWD dyno's around me.
Do you mind sharing some shops with an AWD Dyno in Toronto that is familiar with the K Tuner ? I could not find one shop willing to use K Tuner that had an AWD Dyno during the time I was looking.
Keep in mind that this has to be a linked AWD Dyno not the individual Dynapack units mounted to each wheel.
Thanks !
Old 03-05-2019, 11:42 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by KarKraze
Do you mind sharing some shops with an AWD Dyno in Toronto that is familiar with the K Tuner ? I could not find one shop willing to use K Tuner that had an AWD Dyno during the time I was looking.
Keep in mind that this has to be a linked AWD Dyno not the individual Dynapack units mounted to each wheel.
Thanks !
So far i've found two shops that have an AWD dyno that aren't dynopacks, the first one is Neetronics Automotive in Oakville. When I called them they said they offer flat rate dyno's. For an AWD dyno tune its $600CDN. Just for three runs to check WHP is $160CDN. They have experience with hondata, i asked about ktuner they said they can could tune it. The reviews for Neetronics shop seem to be good except for one review. The bad review mentions the other shop i found which is Fourstarmotorsports in Georgetown. They use a Possum Bourne Signature Series Dyno. I'm still waiting for a reply from the tuner there on a quote but i will be talking with the tuner there through email. As soon as he gets back to me with some information i'll post it here. I did contact another shop but they use a dynopack my friend got his WRX tuned by them and ending up getting 277WHP after the tune. They have good reviews and are located in Aurora. They normally charge by hour but with a Ktuner they told me its just a flat rate of $650CDN. All the shops are fine with answering questions and seem to know what they are doing. I know it isnt in Toronto but they aren't too far plus driving there and back would really give you a chance to test the tune after. For me I live in Brampton so im basically in the center of all of them when i do get a tune i will post the results either here or start another post specifically for dyno graphs and tell you fellow Ontario TL owners which shop i used. Again this will be a process over a few months I'm not made of money and need to save up for all of this thankfully tax season is coming up 😁.
The following 2 users liked this post by Unknownerror0010011:
echodigital (03-06-2019), KarKraze (03-06-2019)
Old 03-06-2019, 09:03 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by KarKraze
Thanks !
To update some information about the shops fourstarmotorsports doesn't tune Acura's. I called Neetronics and they told me they use a awd dynojet. So the only one that appears to do AWD tuning and is willing to work on our cars is Neetronics unless you want to use a dynopack.
KarKraze (03-06-2019)