Intake

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 02:56 PM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
gains? what gains? sure maybe a sti would have gains.. but not for our cars.. if anything it clogs up your maf sensor with the oils
Old 11-18-2012, 03:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 325 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by potmilkz
gains? what gains? sure maybe a sti would have gains.. but not for our cars.. if anything it clogs up your maf sensor with the oils
The K&N filters are proven to be less restrictive than oem paper filters. Care to explain why making the air intake less restrictive wouldn't lead to gains on a 3.5L or 3.7L V6?
Old 11-18-2012, 09:13 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,143 Likes on 817 Posts
^^^^^

Less restrictive is not necessary a good thing for engines.

Less restrictive meaning more tiny junks are gonna get through the filter and into the individual cylinders. Sand and salt (winter time) particles are not combustible and therefore will scotch up the cylinder walls/rings real bad. Over time, the cylinders will lose compression and the engine will burn oil.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by wreak
The K&N filters are proven to be less restrictive than oem paper filters. Care to explain why making the air intake less restrictive wouldn't lead to gains on a 3.5L or 3.7L V6?

many people have claimed that i have used X product for XX amount of years with no problems. The PROBLEM is that you spent a chunk of change on a product that not only DID NOT increase your hp, but also let in a lot of dirt while doing it.

Does it flow better? At very high airflow volumes, probably. BUT, our engines CAN’T flow that much air unless super-modified, so what is the point? The stock filter will flow MORE THAN ENOUGH AIR to give you ALL THE HORSEPOWER the engine has to give. And this remains true until the filter is dirty enough to be recognizable. At that point performance will decline somewhat. Replace the filter and get on with it.

below picture is a side by side..

OEM FILTER vs K&N Filter.. look at the difference

In a high performance car.. yes you will see slight gains.. on a stock daily car.. you wont see anything...

only thing that will come of this is that your MAF sensor will be damaged.

Go ahead, google it, many many people have had k&n filters on their cars only to have MAF sensor go bad because of the OIL that comes out of that filter.

even dealers do not recommend using oiled base filters due to issues.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:59 AM
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
you really dont know what your talking about bro!@
Old 11-19-2012, 01:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

many people have claimed that i have used X product for XX amount of years with no problems. The PROBLEM is that you spent a chunk of change on a product that not only DID NOT increase your hp, but also let in a lot of dirt while doing it.

Does it flow better? At very high airflow volumes, probably. BUT, our engines CAN’T flow that much air unless super-modified, so what is the point? The stock filter will flow MORE THAN ENOUGH AIR to give you ALL THE HORSEPOWER the engine has to give. And this remains true until the filter is dirty enough to be recognizable. At that point performance will decline somewhat. Replace the filter and get on with it.

below picture is a side by side..

OEM FILTER vs K&N Filter.. look at the difference

In a high performance car.. yes you will see slight gains.. on a stock daily car.. you wont see anything...

only thing that will come of this is that your MAF sensor will be damaged.

Go ahead, google it, many many people have had k&n filters on their cars only to have MAF sensor go bad because of the OIL that comes out of that filter.

even dealers do not recommend using oiled base filters due to issues.
You're making some pretty wild claims here, how exactly do you know that the oem air filter already flows well enough to give all the HP it can give? It's pretty common knowledge that oem intakes along with paper filters are restrictive enough to warrant replacing them for gains (more so on 6+ cylinder engines). I don't see why you think the intake/filter in the TL is any different. Oh and many manufactures do have available "dryflow" unoiled drop in filters, does anyone know if those are available for the TL?

Obviously neither one of us can 100% say for sure we are right unless we can find dyno charts of an Accord or TL with a before and after install, but I'm pretty confident you'd see gains.

We should probably just agree to disagree...

Last edited by wreak; 11-19-2012 at 01:28 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
^^^^^

Less restrictive is not necessary a good thing for engines.

Less restrictive meaning more tiny junks are gonna get through the filter and into the individual cylinders. Sand and salt (winter time) particles are not combustible and therefore will scotch up the cylinder walls/rings real bad. Over time, the cylinders will lose compression and the engine will burn oil.
No kidding less restriction for the intake isn't as good for filtering lol do you think half the stuff people do to their cars to gain performance is even remotely good long term?

This is an enthusiast forum and we are in the performance/modification section right? Or should I go into the suspension forum and start telling people to stop lowering their cars, that it's bad for their suspension components?
Old 11-19-2012, 01:59 PM

sadly, k&n does not offer dryflow for our cars, so its out of the question..

less restriction = more dirt = performance loss over period of time
more restriction = less dirt = standard oem performance

so if there is really no proven performance gains but only proven damages to the MAF sensors.. why do you want to a filter that is known to damage your sensors due to oil? Did you know that they use 1.10 oz of oil in every filter?

its like buying replica wheels knowing that it can crack on you anytime..

you can search in any number of auto enthusiast forums.. many and many people are against using K&N oiled filters.. its just something to add on your "MOD list"

No kidding less restriction for the intake isn't as good for filtering lol do you think half the stuff people do to their cars to gain performance is even remotely good long term?
if done correctly, yes its good for a long term.

This is an enthusiast forum and we are in the performance/modification section right? Or should I go into the suspension forum and start telling people to stop lowering their cars, that it's bad for their suspension components?
since when is lowering bad for your suspensions.. doing it incorrectly is bad..

Last edited by potmilkz; 11-19-2012 at 02:03 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:47 PM
6G TLX-S

Let's be reasonable here.

Less restrictive filters will let in more dirt, but less restrictive J-pipes/headers, large-diameter exhaust pipes, free-flow cats, and free-flow mufflers won't.

So you can feel free to continue recommend installing J-pipes/headers, big exhaust pipes, free-flow cats, and free-flow mufflers, because they won't let dirt inside the engine and ruin the piston/cylinder sealing.

But instead, you just recommended the less restrictive filters which WILL cause damage to the engine internals.

Maybe you're a newbie in suspension modding. If the suspension mod is done properly, it won't cause any damage to a lowered car.

For instance, there won't be a problem if lowering springs and aftermarket shocks are replaced at the same time. It will only cause problems if the lowering springs is used with the OEM shocks which are not designed to be used with higher-spring-rate aftermarket springs.

For instance, if the size and offset of the aftermarket wheels and tires are selected correctly, it won't cause any damage to the suspension.

The suspension will only be damaged if wheels of too wild offset are used, and the wheels are sticking way, way outside the fenders. Only then this will cause excessive stress on the suspension components.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:36 PM
Pro

Edward, pottzmilk is always just talking to talk. That his gig, what he does if you will.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:53 PM

Eazyrider, do you even understand any of the stuff you post? seems like my 9 year old nephew can make more sense than you..

btw this news just came in today from Comptech.. with proven hp gains.

CTE ICE BOX DYNO's

proof is in the picture and CTE stands by it..
The following users liked this post:
vtec314 (03-24-2013)
Old 11-19-2012, 03:59 PM
Pro

at least you agree with me bro
Old 11-19-2012, 04:16 PM

again, please read before answering.. at no point where i agree with you on anything.. only thing i agree with is that your a complete idiot...

do you agree with that?
Old 11-19-2012, 04:19 PM
Pro

what are you name calling? I'm sure the mods are going to have a field day with you homie!

Mods please see what pottzmilk called me? blasphemy@!
dwest1023 (03-24-2013)
Old 11-19-2012, 04:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Hey potmilkz so much for your:

The stock filter will flow MORE THAN ENOUGH AIR to give you ALL THE HORSEPOWER the engine has to give.
That dyno alone shows that the oem intake has a ton more potential than how Honda designed it. Don't think for a second that some of that power didn't come from a more free flowing filter that the icebox will come with.

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Let's be reasonable here.

Less restrictive filters will let in more dirt, but less restrictive J-pipes/headers, large-diameter exhaust pipes, free-flow cats, and free-flow mufflers won't.

So you can feel free to continue recommend installing J-pipes/headers, big exhaust pipes, free-flow cats, and free-flow mufflers, because they won't let dirt inside the engine and ruin the piston/cylinder sealing.

But instead, you just recommended the less restrictive filters which WILL cause damage to the engine internals.

Maybe you're a newbie in suspension modding. If the suspension mod is done properly, it won't cause any damage to a lowered car.

For instance, there won't be a problem if lowering springs and aftermarket shocks are replaced at the same time. It will only cause problems if the lowering springs is used with the OEM shocks which are not designed to be used with higher-spring-rate aftermarket springs.

For instance, if the size and offset of the aftermarket wheels and tires are selected correctly, it won't cause any damage to the suspension.

The suspension will only be damaged if wheels of too wild offset are used, and the wheels are sticking way, way outside the fenders. Only then this will cause excessive stress on the suspension components.
Okay so bad offset choices or not running more suitable shocks are the only cause of suspension damage when lowering? How about the fact that you call me a newbie and leave out one of the most important factors when lowering a car, don't you think a camber kit is a little important? How about camber, caster and toe?

Why don't you tell everyone running the icebox that they're damaging their cars.

Last edited by Steven Bell; 11-19-2012 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Merged Posts
Old 11-19-2012, 04:37 PM

Hey potmilkz so much for your:

That dyno alone shows that the oem intake has a ton more potential than how Honda designed it. Don't think for a second that some of that power didn't come from a more free flowing filter that the icebox will come with.

so let me get this straight.. that reference was towards filters, but your comparing it to a whole new intake assembly..

The stock filter will flow MORE THAN ENOUGH AIR to give you ALL THE HORSEPOWER the engine has to give.
Key word is STOCK FILTER and not a whole assembly..

I dont think its that complicated to understand the differences between the two..

A whole new intake assembly will obviously give you HP gains especially when its coming from comptech..

Please! when correcting me, make sure you have valid points.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:39 PM
Pro

Pottmilk your a real know it all aren't you?
Old 11-19-2012, 04:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

so let me get this straight.. that reference was towards filters, but your comparing it to a whole new intake assembly..

Key word is STOCK FILTER and not a whole assembly..

I dont think its that complicated to understand the differences between the two..

A whole new intake assembly will obviously give you HP gains especially when its coming from comptech..

Please! when correcting me, make sure you have valid points.
The fact that the car made that much of an increase on an intake is proof that these cars are GREATLY restricted with the oem intake. Why don't you buy the icebox and install a factory filter in it since the comptech one will be less restrictive, maybe it will save your engine from the dirt demons that will destroy it.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:42 PM

Okay so bad offset choices or not running more suitable shocks are the only cause of suspension damage when lowering? How about the fact that you call me a newbie and leave out one of the most important factors when lowering a car, don't you think a camber kit is a little important? How about camber, caster and toe?

Why don't you tell everyone running the icebox that they're damaging their cars.

First, that is why they make camber kits.. guess you have never heard of them before.. They make it to correct camber.

I am lowered with no camber kit and i am still within OEM specs of camber.. so your point is not valid.

Secondly.. comptech is not dumb enough to run oiled base filters that can potentially damage your car. Back then they did run oiled base filters.. but now they run foam filters. Check out the TSX ICE BOX and you will see. I have had comptech products before, even the comptech intake, they are dry flow filters. no damage can be done there.. actually they use OEM filters for some of their products, they just produce a better free flowing intake design.

Last edited by potmilkz; 11-19-2012 at 04:52 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:50 PM
Pro

pottmilk you reallylike to shine peope on dont you?
Old 11-19-2012, 04:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

First, that is why they make camber kits.. guess you have never heard of them before.. They make it to correct camber.
Yeah you're really funny, I bet you felt really smart by catching me repeat the point.

I am lowered with no camber kit and i am still within OEM specs of camber.. so your point is not valid.
Just because something doesn't apply to you doesn't mean it's incorrect, that's what I call ignorance. Don't tell me camber has nothing to do with lowering a car because you managed to stay within factory spec.

Secondly.. comptech is not dumb enough to run oiled base filters that can potentially damage your car. I have had comptech products before, even the comptech intake, they are dry flow filters. no damage can be done there.. actually they use OEM filters for some of their products, they just produce a better free flowing intake design.
No Comptech doesn't use oil based filters but they use high flow filters which allow more debris in, they often use foam filters in the iceboxes. So are you going to buy an icebox and replace it with an oem filter? I can promise you without seeing the final product that the new comptech intake WILL NOT use a factory paper filter.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:54 PM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
Come on guys - lets keep the personal attacks at a minimum. No need to close another thread and hand out vacations.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:56 PM
Pro

Thanks Pete.. pottsmilk has always given me a hard time since my initiation on this board that Ive grown to love so much.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:01 PM

The fact that the car made that much of an increase on an intake is proof that these cars are GREATLY restricted with the oem intake. Why don't you buy the icebox and install a factory filter in it since the comptech one will be less restrictive, maybe it will save your engine from the dirt demons that will destroy it.

No shit! if you run a intake pipe right out of the throttle body without any filtering you are going to see gains. Its not old news there. The issue is how do you do it safely..

Comptech has a redesigned intake, it runs a foam filter, which you can also run a stock oem filter as well. (based on the 2nd gen TSX) Their old style intakes runs on a cone foam filter.. i think the 3G is that style..

I will buy a CTE Ice box.. They have good track record.. buying anything less than that would be a bad decision..

i guess you really have to understand the mechanics of how the engine works to fully understand what damages can be done..
Old 11-19-2012, 05:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

I'd like to think that I only engage in conversation here when I have some experience or knowledge around a subject but this Potmilkz guy just CAN'T walk away. I said we could agree to disagree earlier in the thread to end it there but he just keeps coming back.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:16 PM

Yeah you're really funny, I bet you felt really smart by catching me repeat the point.

Just because something doesn't apply to you doesn't mean it's incorrect, that's what I call ignorance. Don't tell me camber has nothing to do with lowering a car because you managed to stay within factory spec.

No Comptech doesn't use oil based filters but they use high flow filters which allow more debris in, they often use foam filters in the iceboxes. So are you going to buy an icebox and replace it with an oem filter? I can promise you without seeing the final product that the new comptech intake WILL NOT use a factory paper filter.
Incorrect? you said there could be damages due to lowering.. how do this turn from that to being incorrect?

All cars with stock or aftermarket suspensions will have camber, or will eventually have camber and will need to be realigned.. so whats your point? Im lowered, and im within the camber specs as if i was with stock.. so how does that make me incorrect?
Old 11-19-2012, 05:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Incorrect? you said there could be damages due to lowering.. how do this turn from that to being incorrect?

All cars with stock or aftermarket suspensions will have camber, or will eventually have camber and will need to be realigned.. so whats your point? Im lowered, and im within the camber specs as if i was with stock.. so how does that make me incorrect?
You really are a broken record it's no wonder why you have over three thousand posts in a couple years. The discussion veered into suspension now and when addressing items that could cause damage if left uncorrected (and often do since camber is one of the leading issues with lowering) I pointed out camber, and of course the need for a camber kit to correct it. You said because your car was lowered and didn't require a camber kit that my point is invalid when infact your comment is incorrect. Maybe for your situation you can get by without a camber kit but that isn't the case with a lot of other members cars. Get it? See we wern't talking about your car directly, not sure why you assume it's your car we're discussing.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:23 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
EazyRider, we get it...you like the filters.

There is a lot of technical information being shared here.

Quit trying to pick fights while the exchange of information is going on.
OkieTL (03-24-2013)
Old 11-19-2012, 10:08 PM
6G TLX-S

Ok, no broken record, no suspension talk, and let's get back onto topic.

Less restrictive filters will let in more dirt and tiny abrasive junks that will scratch up the cylinder walls and piston rings, and thus will cause sealing problems and excessive oil burning in the future days.

But other exhaust component upgrades such as high flow cats, high flow mufflers, etc., won't.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:10 AM
Pro

Not just love, its more of an infatuation!
Old 03-24-2013, 12:30 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
When I had my x8lr exhaust with testpipe&jeypipe only I was racing 08 acura type s his mods were injen intake, atlp exhaust with headers, no downpipe. Me and him raced he was beating me by 1 car, I got my intake takeda, raced again and me and him were going the same and on 4th gear I was going ahead and my car shifts automatically to 5fth and 6th gear, and thats how he beats me. But my car beats him till 110mph. and we do 35 roll, 40, 45
Old 03-24-2013, 12:31 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
When I put takeda intake , my mods were x8lr, test pipe, jeypipe thats it. Thats when I beat him :d