I'm back and I have my CAI installed!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 05:39 PM
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
I'm not a troll if this is what you mean!?!? Hilarious!

hey potmilkz, are there ever any car meet-ups in our area?
Old 02-07-2012, 06:03 PM
Banned

Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
The dyno that was posted up amazes me. I've owned 2 Acura's with the J-Series V6's (my current 08 TL and 03 CL-S6 back in 03) and I never knew how FLAT the TQ curve was. No wonder I don't feel the VTEC surge when the cams change like I would in my 98 Prelude Type SH or even the slight but noticeable surge in the 08 Accord EX-L/Navi K24. Now that all said, I didnt do anything to my CL-S6's intake other that remove the intake resonator so to enjoy the aggressive/mellow sound of its J32. My gains came from my HKS Super Dragger exhaust. My gains in the 1/4 mile dropped nearly .3 sec to 14.3@97mph (Man was that a fun car). So I plan on doing The same thing with my current car (TL). Removing the intake resonator, doing J-pipe, & then doing an exhaust. It's the addictive song at full throttle that keeps me wanting more that my J32 powered car can offer me. That mmmmmBAAAAA!!! IN 1ST gear answers everyones question that asks "why did you buy a TL over a G35/37 or Lexus IS. I'm sorry if i digressed too much.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:28 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
Your K24 Accord had i-VTEC, so there wouldn't've been any changeover. Just a regular 4-cylinder torque curve.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:36 PM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
Eazyrider welcome back

I actually read every single post. BTW i was lost when PCDs and HFPFs or w/e was mentioned, but that was it. You guys get way to serious sometimes.:shakehead But I do enjoy the car talk.
The following users liked this post:
EazyRider562 (02-07-2012)
Old 02-07-2012, 07:01 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
HFPCs.
justnspace (02-07-2012)
Old 02-07-2012, 08:39 PM
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Acura_Dude
Eazyrider welcome back

I actually read every single post. BTW i was lost when PCDs and HFPFs or w/e was mentioned, but that was it. You guys get way to serious sometimes.:shakehead But I do enjoy the car talk.
Yeah agreed! I was just pointing out my new intake system and things got way serious trying to call me out. Oh well, you can't win them all.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:06 PM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
eazyrider562,

there are currently no meets.. or that i know of...

but we were just all trying to correct you.. its not a CAI as you called it..

it was a short ram intake.. that is all..
Old 02-08-2012, 12:14 AM
Drifting

Received 416 Likes on 365 Posts
Originally Posted by eazy
Obviously not because you're here talking about your CAI
Still racing and picking up chicks with a suspended licenses?
Ladies dig guys living on the edge
Old 02-08-2012, 03:03 AM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
^ agreed
Old 02-08-2012, 07:22 AM

Received 16,265 Likes on 11,974 Posts
Originally Posted by EazyRider562
Yeah agreed! I was just pointing out my new intake system and things got way serious trying to call me out. Oh well, you can't win them all.
its the way you pose your questions, dontcha agree?
its your money, why should we care if you over spent?
as long as you're happy with your purchase then thats all that matters, wouldnt you agree?

Originally Posted by ceb
i posted this a few years ago on a bmw board. Now that i'm in the process of dumping "old unreliable" and getting a tsx, i thought that i'd post it here too. Over there it generated about 10 pages of discussion:

Post 1:

Given all the "if i do this, will my warranty blow up in my face" and "why'd i get pulled over for my 20000k headlights and my .5% tintz" posts, i thought that i would give my take on modding.

Don't be a lemming. Just because others are doing a particular mod doesn't mean you should.

Decide what advantages a certain mod have for you. Be honest - is it sound, appearance or performance. Remember that very few mods will actually improve performance or real world handling.

Do your research. What disadvantages does this mod have? Will it affect your warranty? What can some of the unintended consequences be? Has bmw (or another manufacturer) specifically warned against this type of mod? What are the legal implications? Do the cops in your area enforce that particular law? Is it unsafe to you or others?

Is the full cost of the mod (parts, labor, increased operating costs) worth the benefit?

And finally

are you mentally and monetarily prepared to pay for both the mod and the consequences of the mod? This includes paying for damage that the dealer refuses to fix under warranty because they believe it was caused by the mod.

Post 2 - after a few pages:

Absolutely correct. Everyone needs to decide if the costs plus the tradeoffs are worth it for you.

take the bbk as an example. By the time it is installed it will have set you back anywhere between $3500 and $4k. It will give you zero (let me repeat that - zero) benefits in day to day driving and, depending on the pads, may sound like a squealing pig. The only benefit (aside from cool painted calipers and possibly slotted rotors) is on the track.

If you never - or only very seldom - track your car then you really need to think about that mod and do a cost/benefit analysis.

You might decide that the cool factor is worth it - perfectly fine - but don't try to convince yourself that you'll get any day to day braking benefits.

The same holds true for most other mods.

The point of this thread is to get you to think about your mods, the benefits, the disadvantages and finally - to be honest with yourself about why you want to do the mod.

Most reasons are fine - improved performance - improved appearance (obviously subjective but you shouldn't care what anyone else thinks) - or just bragging rights.

Some mods can't be justified - those that are dangerous (but might look cool - ask yourself if there is a non - dangerous mod that accomplishes the same thing) and those that negatively affect others.

Let's look at a few examples

dark tint on windshields (and even side windows) may reduce your visibility to the point of being dangerous at night. There have been some guys here that say "the tint is fine, i just roll my window down at night and look out that" - where was that guy when they handed out brains?

if your objective is heat/uv rejection, then you can get the identical (if not better) rejection using a 60% ceramic tint. if you objective is "looking cool" then you might want to reconsider that limo tint for something you can see out of at night. Find a buddy that has that tint and drive his car at night. Ask yourself objectively "is it safe?"

higher kelvin bulbs. We know (objectively) that the hid bulb that gives you the best balance between visibility and low glare is about 4300k. I didn't make that up, there have been a zillion studies on this - both here and europe - we can accept that as a fact for current bulb technology. Going significantly higher will reduce usable visibility and increase glare for oncoming cars so, while bluer bulbs may look cool, they may be dangerous. Is there an alternative?

Whiter angel eye (or angle eye if you're into geometry) bulbs might even out the appearance of the front of your car and may make the headlights look "better" but may have warranty and reliability pitfalls - something that needs to be researched before you do that as an alternative to high kelvin headlamps.

Now that i've beat a dead horse, let me give you a cliff notes version:

Modding a car to personalize it can be a good thing
consider all the consequences and implication of your mod
be prepared to pay for anything your mod breaks
do your research
be honest with yourself about the reasons for doing a mod

a few final bits of advice - don't go into debt for a mod that brings no actual driving performance improvements such as wheels, radios, paint and trim etc. Wait until you have the cash in hand to do those.

Virtually no mod will ever be recouped at resale unless you return the car to stock and sell the mods. The only mods that might make your a bit more desireable are very conservative appearance mods - legal tint in places like florida for example. You won't get more money for your car but it might sell quicker.

Don't cheap out on important things like tires, brakes and maintenance. Although everyone under 25 is invincible, those things could save your life.

Respect the laws that affect others (catless exhausts, high kelvin bulbs etc.)
qft

Last edited by Steven Bell; 02-08-2012 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Merged Posts.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:44 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 244 Likes on 137 Posts
Old 02-08-2012, 09:34 AM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
qft
That was a great post - thank you for sharing.
justnspace (02-08-2012)
Old 02-08-2012, 10:07 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Originally Posted by ucf_bronco
This has to be approaching the longest thread started by eazy that has yet to be locked.

Woohoo! Happy to be part of this historical moment.
All good things come to an end.