FTC Validates Right to Install Aftermarket Parts

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 09:58 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
FTC Validates Right to Install Aftermarket Parts

In a Consumer Alert issued by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the agency confirmed that “The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void your warranty or deny coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket part.” The alert outlines key provisions in the law that provides protections to car owners. As defined by the FTC, an “aftermarket' part is a part made by a company other than the vehicle manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer.”

“The FTC’s reference to aftermarket parts is equally applicable to specialty parts,” said Russ Deane, SEMA’s General Counsel. “Under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, the warranty cannot be conditioned to a specific brand of parts, services or vehicle modifications unless those parts or services are provided free of charge.”

The alert notes that a consumer has the right to patronize independent retail stores and repair shops for parts and service without fear of voiding the new car warranty. The dealer/vehicle manufacturer has the right to deny a warranty repair but they must demonstrate that the aftermarket part caused the problem. The warranty remains in effect for all other covered parts.

The FTC alert may be downloaded using this link: http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/cons...ts/alt192.shtm.

The alert was issued in response to an FTC complaint filed last August by the Automotive Aftermarket Industry Association (AAIA), Automotive Oil Change Association (AOCA) and the Tire Industry Association (TIA).

http://www.sema.org/sema-enews/2011/...ermarket-parts
Old 01-06-2011, 10:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 88 Posts
Does this mean if i add a full exaust system,racing brake rotors and calipers and if i drive into a Acura dealer service they cant just boyd the warranty on the spot.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:00 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by types1fan
Does this mean if i add a full exaust system,racing brake rotors and calipers and if i drive into a Acura dealer service they cant just boyd the warranty on the spot.
That's my understanding of the above. Obviously if those parts fail they wont be replacing them, that is something you would have to take up with the manufacturer of those parts. However, if you have another, non-aftermarket, part of the vehicle fail they would have to fully demonstrate with hard evidence that your aftermarket parts caused damage to the OEM parts to void a warranty claim. If they can't do that then it is my understanding that they would have to honor their warranty for said part. Just as an example, if your aftermarket exhaust causes stress to a part of the engine and it fails because it wasn't designed to perform under the increased performance specifications of your after market exhaust then they would likely be able to void that warranty claim. But to answer your original question, no, they couldn't just look at your after market parts on the vehicle and tell you that the warranty is void.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:53 AM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by types1fan

Correct - but if you were to buy a CAI and it sucks water into the engine and kills your car, the dealership won't cover.

Also if you lower your car with springs, and the shocks see excelerated wear, the dealership can prove that the aggressive springs caused the shocks wear and deny that.

But you are correct - you can't drive in with aftermarket parts and just lose your warranty on the spot. That has always been the case.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:04 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GM and warranty

GM has been especially hard on customers who were modding and had warranty claims since 2009. They were to the point of just claiming you caused the problem now no warranty. They have been reminded of the law but were still not providing any proof of their claim. I hope they got a copy of notice. Not all dealers were doing but enough of them to make you think it was a straight from GM edict.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by Excelerate
In a Consumer Alert issued by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the agency confirmed that “The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void your warranty or deny coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket part.” The alert outlines key provisions in the law that provides protections to car owners. As defined by the FTC, an “aftermarket' part is a part made by a company other than the vehicle manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer.”

“The FTC’s reference to aftermarket parts is equally applicable to specialty parts,” said Russ Deane, SEMA’s General Counsel. “Under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, the warranty cannot be conditioned to a specific brand of parts, services or vehicle modifications unless those parts or services are provided free of charge.”

The alert notes that a consumer has the right to patronize independent retail stores and repair shops for parts and service without fear of voiding the new car warranty. The dealer/vehicle manufacturer has the right to deny a warranty repair but they must demonstrate that the aftermarket part caused the problem. The warranty remains in effect for all other covered parts.

The FTC alert may be downloaded using this link: www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/alerts/alt192.shtm.

The alert was issued in response to an FTC complaint filed last August by the Automotive Aftermarket Industry Association (AAIA), Automotive Oil Change Association (AOCA) and the Tire Industry Association (TIA).

http://www.sema.org/sema-enews/2011/...ermarket-parts
I remember an interview with former FTC commissioner Pamela Harbour in which she complained about her lack of power and inability to act on the issues that created our financial crisis in America. What makes you think the FTC will persue a warentee issue for you on a TL?