Exhaust modification question

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 12:51 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Exhaust modification question

Hey everyone, sorry if these questions have been asked already! I’m interested in doing HFPC’s and J-Pipe in my ‘10 6MT, however I live in an emissions state (RI) and I don’t want the exhaust too loud (so I definitely would not want a full cat back or mufflers) Would this setup pass emissions and be quiet enough to not be annoying or attract unwelcome attention?
Old 09-21-2018, 01:28 PM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
I doubt you'll have a problem. I have the HFPC's and J-pipe on my '12 FWD and it easily passes emissions and isn't overwhelming noisy either. It gives a nice low growl but no rasp whatsoever. I ended up adding Magnaflows after that which added a bit of drone but I think it perfected the sound. I enjoy just a tiny bit of drone since it's a good indicator of RPM and load.

The HFPC's pass emissions, at least as far as the downstream O2 sensors are concerned. The exception might be if Rhode Island has a sniffer test. In Utah, they only inspect for emission related codes like P0420 and P0430 (catalyst efficiency). They no longer do a sniffer test where a sensor is placed in the tailpipe which measures various compounds like hydrocarbons and NOx. By going to a 600 cell to 200 cell cat (which is the difference between the stock cats on the SH-AWD and the HFPC's) it may increase those pollutants since the lower the cells, the less pollutants are neutralized. Also, if they do a visual check to make sure all your cat's are intact, a J-pipe that removes the 3rd cat could be a problem. That's very rare however. The inspector would have to know that the car has a 3rd cat which is unlikely. It's not like they're going to have some database of vehicles to make sure you have all your cats. But if you don't have a sniffer test there, I'd say you have a 99% chance of being just fine.
Old 09-22-2018, 04:23 PM
Intermediate

Awesome, that’s what I was hoping for! Does anyone know between the RV6 or XLR8 J-Pipe which one has more ground clearance? My car isn’t lowered but the roads blow here in RI! I think my plan is to wait until spring so I can get the J-Pipe/Hfpc’s and the K-Tuner all at the same time...I’ll do some research myself but anyone happen to know of a reputable exhaust shop in my area for the install?
Old 09-23-2018, 11:33 AM
The inconvenient truth

Received 436 Likes on 322 Posts
The XLR8 has better ground clearance for sure. I have the RV6 and the car is lowered and the only ground clearance issue ive had is my driveway at home lol. But that's just because the sidewalk is higher than both the road and my driveway. Im fine if I come in on a bit of an angle.

Anyways you will love the HFPC/J-pipe combo. It sounds great when reving yet when driving normally (slow) you can't really tell the exhaust is modded at all.

Check this out.

The following users liked this post:
ExcelerateRep (10-10-2018)
Old 09-24-2018, 10:41 PM
Intermediate

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by dopeboy1
The XLR8 has better ground clearance for sure. I have the RV6 and the car is lowered and the only ground clearance issue ive had is my driveway at home lol. But that's just because the sidewalk is higher than both the road and my driveway. Im fine if I come in on a bit of an angle.

Anyways you will love the HFPC/J-pipe combo. It sounds great when reving yet when driving normally (slow) you can't really tell the exhaust is modded at all.

Check this out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsLxdQ8VmOQ
Looks like I'm going with the XLR8!
Btw that sound is beautiful!
Old 09-25-2018, 02:40 PM
Drifting

I have the XLR8. I've had no problems with ground clearance. But FWD and AWD are two separate designs.
Old 09-29-2018, 07:44 PM
Intermediate

Thanks for the info guys! Looks like I might bring the car to XLR8 Performance to do the exhaust install as they are only 89 miles from me! Definitely going with the J-Pipe, but here is a noob exhaust question...RV6 has the HFPC's and XLR8 has a HFC, these are different parts right? I believe the XLR8 J-Pipe eliminates the 3rd cat, so I would want to couple that with the RV6 HFPC's as opposed to a High Flow Cat?
Old 09-30-2018, 07:52 PM
The inconvenient truth

Yes they are different products. These cars have 3 cats, 2 precats which bolt to the engine block and a third main cat that's under the car and part of the j-pipe. The XLR8 HFC is an option to replace the 3rd cat if you don't want to delete it completely. Which I don't know why anyone buying a j-pipe wouldn't want to delete the 3rd cat. The only company that makes a product to replace the precats is RV6 with either their High flow precats or precat deletes. That's why it wss so easy for me to decide to buy the RV6 jpipe as well. If they are the only company willing to make a product to replace the precats then im glad to support them as much as possible. Also they make some really nice stuff!

Last edited by dopeboy1; 09-30-2018 at 07:58 PM.
Old 10-06-2018, 03:02 PM
Intermediate

Yes they are different products. These cars have 3 cats, 2 precats which bolt to the engine block and a third main cat that's under the car and part of the j-pipe. The XLR8 HFC is an option to replace the 3rd cat if you don't want to delete it completely. Which I don't know why anyone buying a j-pipe wouldn't want to delete the 3rd cat. The only company that makes a product to replace the precats is RV6 with either their High flow precats or precat deletes. That's why it wss so easy for me to decide to buy the RV6 jpipe as well. If they are the only company willing to make a product to replace the precats then im glad to support them as much as possible. Also they make some really nice stuff!

Does anyone know where to find a tech guide for (DIY) installing the RV6 HFPC's and J-Pipe? I kinda doubt it's something I want to tackle, but without seeing what the process is I don't know for sure. I got an estimate for 6 hours labor to install both but DIY would save me approximately $500, which is the only reason I am even considering DIY. Thanks for any info/suggestions!
Old 10-07-2018, 07:57 PM
Drifting

Received 672 Likes on 542 Posts
Don't know of a DIY guide but the rear HFPC is a bitch to get out. J Pipe install is easy.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:03 AM
Intermediate

Talking

Thanks to RV6's Black Friday sale, just placed my order for K-Tuner, J-Pipe & HFPC's for $1,471 including shipping! Now i just have to have patience until the spring for the installation, don't want to install this stuff right as winter is coming...
Old 11-30-2018, 10:23 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jrc6MT
Thanks to RV6's Black Friday sale, just placed my order for K-Tuner, J-Pipe & HFPC's for $1,471 including shipping! Now i just have to have patience until the spring for the installation, don't want to install this stuff right as winter is coming...
How much did the RV6 Jpipe cost for Black Friday? I assume it includes the 3rd cat delete? I ended up picking up EndlessRPM's Jpipe for their Black Friday deal. They were super local to me so why not support my local vendor right? Even though it's not cat delete Jpipe so I'll need to pick up a test pipe, they claim the 2 piece design produces more power and it tucks up higher than other Jpipes for more ground clearance. And plus, since I live in an emissions state, if I fail, Ii can easily slap the cat back on for the inspection lol.
Old 11-30-2018, 08:31 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Andy Cheng
How much did the RV6 Jpipe cost for Black Friday? I assume it includes the 3rd cat delete? I ended up picking up EndlessRPM's Jpipe for their Black Friday deal. They were super local to me so why not support my local vendor right? Even though it's not cat delete Jpipe so I'll need to pick up a test pipe, they claim the 2 piece design produces more power and it tucks up higher than other Jpipes for more ground clearance. And plus, since I live in an emissions state, if I fail, Ii can easily slap the cat back on for the inspection lol.
I believe it was $449, and yes it deletes the 3rd cat, no test pipe needed. Yeah sounds like your exhaust isn't a bad choice in an emissions state!

Last edited by Jrc6MT; 11-30-2018 at 08:32 PM. Reason: wrong graphic posted
Old 12-04-2018, 02:30 PM
Intermediate

Christmas has come early! (Although all I can do for now is look at it)

Old 12-04-2018, 04:04 PM
The inconvenient truth

Awesome!!! Make sure to do a review of the difference you notice with the pipes and ktuner. Just pipes first and then once you've added ktuner if you would be so kind haha.
Old 12-04-2018, 05:55 PM
Drifting

Received 672 Likes on 542 Posts
Nice mods !!
Old 12-07-2018, 06:51 PM
Intermediate

Awesome!!! Make sure to do a review of the difference you notice with the pipes and ktuner. Just pipes first and then once you've added ktuner if you would be so kind haha.
I actually got impatient looking at the KTuner box, and loaded the base tune for a stock TL, and I changed the VTEC engagement to 4,000 to see how the car responds and feels compared to before flashing...haven't driven it enough yet for an opinion but will report back soon! My plan in March is to install the pipes and reflash with the exhaust base tune immediately before driving it home, as I have no patience!
Old 01-28-2019, 10:49 AM
Intermediate

Talking

Originally Posted by Jrc6MT
I actually got impatient looking at the KTuner box, and loaded the base tune for a stock TL, and I changed the VTEC engagement to 4,000 to see how the car responds and feels compared to before flashing...haven't driven it enough yet for an opinion but will report back soon! My plan in March is to install the pipes and reflash with the exhaust base tune immediately before driving it home, as I have no patience!
What up everyone! Planning on getting my exhaust installed and car tuned in about 5 weeks, I'm guessing between the tune and J-Pipe/Hfpc's I should see about 30 horses/torque...anyone have an idea how much more power would be added by the Atlp catback exhaust in addition to the other mods? It wouldn't be worth it for me to spend another $1600 just for another 5 ponies if that's all ill get
Old 01-28-2019, 11:20 AM
Drifting

I've heard the ALTP cat-back is a great quality product, and can give a pretty good exhaust tone. However, I think the general consensus is that the J-pipe and HFPC/PCD's are a considerably better bang for the buck in terms of power/price. I'm sure the cat-back is better flowing and frees up some power but I don't think it's much, especially considering the price.

I have the stock exhaust (past the J-pipe) for my 4G but I installed a Tanabe on my 3G and never noticed much. I never dyno'd it, nor have I my 4G, but whatever gains there were weren't noticeable to the "butt dyno" whereas the HFPC's and J-pipe were at least noticeable. That's all subjective information, no real numbers, but that's been the general feeling around here for those that have done all the exhaust bolt-ons. Oh, I did install magnaflow's on my stock 4G but again, no noticeable change in power output. The thing is though, with a car putting out 280hp/305hp (depending on FWD vs SH-AWD), a small gain of 5-10hp is difficult to notice. That's a very small percentage, 1.5% - 3% or so which is difficult to detect unless you do multiple runs on a dyno with exact conditions between pre and post install. Let alone a butt-dyno. I don't believe that's a reason not to do it though, since things add up. But it's still difficult to tell the difference when only one mod or bolt-on is done.