Cold Air Intake DIY for AWD

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 08:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Cold Air Intake DIY for AWD

So I dug into the intake system on my car today. Some mixed news is that the an intake for the 3.5L motor will probably fit, but you would lose your driver side brake duct. The stock system is very convoluted and more than likely only designed to reduce sound. It is a little tricky to get the parts out, but can be done with basic hand tools. You have to remove the battery and tray.

Here are all of the parts removed besides the stock airbox:

At first I just removed everything but realized that the brake cooling duct bolts to part of the resonator. So I broke the resonator apart from the tube that goes up to the airbox. I bolted the resonator back up and attached the brake cooling duct. It is the part at the bottom right of the picture above. Here it is mounted up:

Now I was going to stop there, but the inlet to the stock airbox is near the engine compartment. It is all the way to the left and the battery blocks off MOST of, if any, hot air that is over there. But to help keep the air as cool as possible, I chopped off the tube that leads to the resonator, so that it comes down and is pulling air from below the engine compartment. The tube I cut is the top right tube in the first picture, I cut just above where it goes into the angle. Here is what it looks like:

Overall I'd say there is definitely power to be gained. I feel a very big difference in the mid-range from about 3,000RPM to 5,000RPM. And the car continues to pull hard until redline. Overall sound levels are only slightly louder. There is a deeper tone until VTEC, and then while in VTEC it is just slightly louder than stock. It sounds good but is not intrusive either. I might tweak the setup later on with a velocity stack.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Just an update:

I've removed the K&N and put in a Fram. The noise around 4,000rpm is gone but the car feels very strong. Sounds almost stock. The car feels like it breathes much better, pretty glad I did this for essentially free.
Old 04-07-2018, 08:50 PM
toferdisobey

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by CleanCL
So I dug into the intake system on my car today. Some mixed news is that the an intake for the 3.5L motor will probably fit, but you would lose your driver side brake duct. The stock system is very convoluted and more than likely only designed to reduce sound. It is a little tricky to get the parts out, but can be done with basic hand tools. You have to remove the battery and tray.

Here are all of the parts removed besides the stock airbox:

At first I just removed everything but realized that the brake cooling duct bolts to part of the resonator. So I broke the resonator apart from the tube that goes up to the airbox. I bolted the resonator back up and attached the brake cooling duct. It is the part at the bottom right of the picture above. Here it is mounted up:

Now I was going to stop there, but the inlet to the stock airbox is near the engine compartment. It is all the way to the left and the battery blocks off MOST of, if any, hot air that is over there. But to help keep the air as cool as possible, I chopped off the tube that leads to the resonator, so that it comes down and is pulling air from below the engine compartment. The tube I cut is the top right tube in the first picture, I cut just above where it goes into the angle. Here is what it looks like:

Overall I'd say there is definitely power to be gained. I feel a very big difference in the mid-range from about 3,000RPM to 5,000RPM. And the car continues to pull hard until redline. Overall sound levels are only slightly louder. There is a deeper tone until VTEC, and then while in VTEC it is just slightly louder than stock. It sounds good but is not intrusive either. I might tweak the setup later on with a velocity stack.
Anyway I can have your photos emailed to me? They aren't showing for me. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-07-2018, 11:15 PM
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts
Heck I thought it was me about the images cause I run no scripts until I saw the date of the posts.
Old 04-08-2018, 07:22 AM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
@Christopher Michael: It has been almost nine years since this thread was active and over two years since the original poster has posted anything to this forum; I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for a response.

@Anicra: Nope, Photobucket basically retroactively screwed everybody who has ever posted a picture to a public chat forum by shutting off the pictures and then demanding they pay something like $400 to turn them back on.

One final thought to @Christopher Michael, you do realize your car has a factory CAI, don't you?

Last edited by horseshoez; 04-08-2018 at 07:27 AM.
Old 04-09-2018, 02:53 PM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
CAI's on the 4G have shown to add very minimal gains (if any). The stock airbox is fairly well free flowing and draws air from the front cowl.
Old 04-09-2018, 05:06 PM
toferdisobey

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by losiglow
CAI's on the 4G have shown to add very minimal gains (if any). The stock airbox is fairly well free flowing and draws air from the front cowl.
Thanks for your replies. I guess I'm just wanting to get that throaty sound and I'm going to do my exhaust and jpipe so I was wondering if I removed the resonator as well, could i get that good deep sound?? We also have a 2007 TL in our garage and it sounds way better than my car lol