Is it worth is to spend $100 bucks on the navagation update?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2015 | 11:35 AM
'12 TL AWD Advanced

Is it worth is to spend $100 bucks on the navagation update?

I'm looking at a 2012 TL AWD with an older nav, will upgrading to whatever is on sale right now do anything but give me newer maps?

Database 10.90
Software 2.10
Old 03-18-2015 | 11:49 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by forest
I'm looking at a 2012 TL AWD with an older nav, will upgrading to whatever is on sale right now do anything but give me newer maps?

Database 10.90
Software 2.10
I've never found the navigation software upgrades to be worth it. All they do is add a few POI's and maybe newer streets. But really, how often do streets change ? And even if they do, is it the end of the world if your missing a few streets ? You can always use your phone as a backup as that will always be way more updated than our GPS system.
The following users liked this post:
forest (03-18-2015)
Old 03-18-2015 | 12:06 PM
Instructor

Check out what areas on the new disk updates were added. Sometimes the update may have only been in Hawaii and may not have changed at all in your area. I am in California (Sacramento area) and my 2012 does not have any mapping issues that I feel need any updating. I'm in real estate and use it daily without problems.
forest (03-18-2015)
Old 03-18-2015 | 12:07 PM
Instructor

I paid for the upgrade disc, have it sitting my dresser, and to date have never even installed it.

Personally, I use Google's navigation on my Note 4, via the cars bluetooth. Since I like music or podcast playing when I drive I just have Pandora or something running from the phone as well. It's easy, and has everything I need.

I really wish I hadn't purchased the update, but at some point I'll get around to installing it.
forest (03-18-2015)
Old 03-18-2015 | 12:10 PM
'12 TL AWD Advanced

Originally Posted by SilverJ
I've never found the navigation software upgrades to be worth it. All they do is add a few POI's and maybe newer streets. But really, how often do streets change ? And even if they do, is it the end of the world if your missing a few streets ? You can always use your phone as a backup as that will always be way more updated than our GPS system.
Originally Posted by PaulAWD
Check out what areas on the new disk updates were added. Sometimes the update may have only been in Hawaii and may not have changed at all in your area. I am in California (Sacramento area) and my 2012 does not have any mapping issues that I feel need any updating. I'm in real estate and use it daily without problems.
Originally Posted by DASS
I paid for the upgrade disc, have it sitting my dresser, and to date have never even installed it.

Personally, I use Google's navigation on my Note 4, via the cars bluetooth. Since I like music or podcast playing when I drive I just have Pandora or something running from the phone as well. It's easy, and has everything I need.

I really wish I hadn't purchased the update, but at some point I'll get around to installing it.

Thanks. You all just saved me $100 bucks.

I don't own my TL yet but I think I'll just use my phone if the nav doesn't find what I am looking for!
Old 03-18-2015 | 12:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by forest
Thanks. You all just saved me $100 bucks.

I don't own my TL yet but I think I'll just use my phone if the nav doesn't find what I am looking for!
A couple things to consider:

1. As others have said, the update's "worth" will depend on how old your current software is as well as whether you travel in areas that have changed.

2. In addition to updating streets, I assume that the business directory (some refer to this as the POI's, though not exactly the same) is also updated. This feature is handy for me, as even if I know how to get to the business I'm going to, it's nice to be able to look up their number on the way and confirm that they're open, etc.

3. If you live in a place where handheld devices (ie. your phone with Google Maps) are deemed "distracted driving", then one should consider that as well. Here, the cost of one DD ticket would pay for the update.

4. This is probably about version 5 or so of the exact same thread.

I'm running my old 2009 maps, and I find myself driving on a lot of "breadcrumb" trails, which would likely be roads if I updated. I've held off since the Canadian update runs $179, and does not go on sale...and quite frankly, the Acura Nav system is one of the weaker ones out there. That said, if i could get it on sale for $99, I'd likely update.
Old 03-18-2015 | 12:54 PM
'12 TL AWD Advanced

Originally Posted by sockpuppet
A couple things to consider:

1. As others have said, the update's "worth" will depend on how old your current software is as well as whether you travel in areas that have changed.

2. In addition to updating streets, I assume that the business directory (some refer to this as the POI's, though not exactly the same) is also updated. This feature is handy for me, as even if I know how to get to the business I'm going to, it's nice to be able to look up their number on the way and confirm that they're open, etc.

3. If you live in a place where handheld devices (ie. your phone with Google Maps) are deemed "distracted driving", then one should consider that as well. Here, the cost of one DD ticket would pay for the update.

4. This is probably about version 5 or so of the exact same thread.

I'm running my old 2009 maps, and I find myself driving on a lot of "breadcrumb" trails, which would likely be roads if I updated. I've held off since the Canadian update runs $179, and does not go on sale...and quite frankly, the Acura Nav system is one of the weaker ones out there. That said, if i could get it on sale for $99, I'd likely update.
I did search for navigation upgrade and two other key words but only found 1 thread. I hate clogging up message boards with the same crap and do try and search for stuff before posting.
Old 03-18-2015 | 03:34 PM
Burning Brakes

YOLO

I bought it for my 2013 to get it updated. I'd rather pay $100 than $150
Old 03-18-2015 | 04:43 PM
Burning Brakes

It's on sale for $99. https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-b...e-sale-927469/
Old 03-19-2015 | 11:13 PM
Intermediate

As others have said, it depends on your situation. My wife is a realtor in a high growth area and she uses the TL for work. She is horrible with directions and relies on the car's navi. It still has the '09 maps and is very outdated for our area. Would love to buy the update if they ever start selling it again. If the area was not changing very much, I would not bother with an update.
Old 03-19-2015 | 11:19 PM
Instructor

For me with a two hour drive to and from school, I found it very hard to follow my outdated nav to/from with the large number of new interchanges on the stretch of highways I use..If you can deal with maybe missing your exit or just being very vigilant then the upgrade might not be worth it

edit: went from the factory nav disk that came with my '05 TL to the last version available for the 3rd gen I think it was the '14 disk, big difference

Last edited by ct_ua6; 03-19-2015 at 11:22 PM.
Old 03-20-2015 | 08:48 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ct_ua6
For me with a two hour drive to and from school, I found it very hard to follow my outdated nav to/from with the large number of new interchanges on the stretch of highways I use..If you can deal with maybe missing your exit or just being very vigilant then the upgrade might not be worth it

edit: went from the factory nav disk that came with my '05 TL to the last version available for the 3rd gen I think it was the '14 disk, big difference
Agreed.
If your going from an 05 to a 2014 than it would be worth it. Even an 09 to a 2014. But for 2012 -2014 ? I wouldn't bother.
Old 03-20-2015 | 09:24 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by bigrock40
As others have said, it depends on your situation. My wife is a realtor in a high growth area and she uses the TL for work. She is horrible with directions and relies on the car's navi. It still has the '09 maps and is very outdated for our area. Would love to buy the update if they ever start selling it again. If the area was not changing very much, I would not bother with an update.
I drive frequently to high growth areas and just during the past 2 -3 years there has been a complete re-work of their urban road network, adding new freeway extensions, new exits, etc. Basically a new road network. Updating from my original 12 TL navi software to the current one was well worth it because I checked, and all those new roads, exits, cut-offs, etc., in all these areas I travel to have all been updated. But then, I had software that was probably updated anywhere from 6 months to a year before I bought my TL in July 2012. So for me it was worth upgrading. Only surprise was that it took 2 hrs and 15 min to complete the install using their Full Power install option (vs. Background install that could take from 4 to 6 hrs).

Old 03-21-2015 | 01:39 PM
Burning Brakes

I upgrade every other year. I wait until it's on sale for $99 and to me it's worth the money. I wouldn't pay the $150 and don't think it's imperative to upgrade every single year. I like that the updates list newer streets and changes in POIs.
Old 05-26-2015 | 03:51 PM
10th Gear

I'm curious, does the map update disk also update the car software?

I'm asking cause my main issue is with the song titles not coming up while streaming via BT, and I'm somehow desperately hoping that a map update might update the software on the car too.
Old 05-26-2015 | 04:03 PM
Team Owner

I use my phone as navigation.
Old 05-26-2015 | 04:16 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Some of you need to buy a Tesla as your next car. As far as I know it is the only car whose software keeps updating periodically free of charge wirelessly (Assuming that their yet to be released cheaper cars would have the auto upgrade feature).
Old 05-26-2015 | 05:09 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Shemploo
I'm curious, does the map update disk also update the car software?

I'm asking cause my main issue is with the song titles not coming up while streaming via BT, and I'm somehow desperately hoping that a map update might update the software on the car too.
The map update only updates the mapping data (roads, points of interest, etc.). It sounds like maybe need to update the Gracenote database. I am not sure this is used with streaming BT as it is with CD's and songs on the HDD. You can get the latest database here...
Old 05-28-2015 | 08:24 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by RenoTL
The map update only updates the mapping data (roads, points of interest, etc.). It sounds like maybe need to update the Gracenote database. I am not sure this is used with streaming BT as it is with CD's and songs on the HDD. You can get the latest database here...
Thanks RenoTL, I was able to update the Graynote database, but alas it did not fix my problem.

Thanks for the suggestion regardless. It's appreciated.
Old 05-28-2015 | 12:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Comfy
Some of you need to buy a Tesla as your next car. As far as I know it is the only car whose software keeps updating periodically free of charge wirelessly (Assuming that their yet to be released cheaper cars would have the auto upgrade feature).
There are a lot of really good reasons to drive a Tesla. Saving $99 a year isn't one of the more prominent ones.

I'd love to have one of those Tesla SUV's, but for reasons other than wireless updating. Still, it's nice to know that's a feature.
Old 05-29-2015 | 05:57 PM
Racer

Just ordered the 2015 RED for $99 for my 09 TL. Does anyone know if I will lose my previous destinations or more importantly my address book? Thanks.
Old 05-29-2015 | 06:13 PM
Instructor

still running 07 maps, maybe time for an upgrade.
Old 05-29-2015 | 11:38 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Takehold66
Just ordered the 2015 RED for $99 for my 09 TL. Does anyone know if I will lose my previous destinations or more importantly my address book? Thanks.

I updated my 09 with the 2015 update. I lost my previous destinations, not sure about the address book. Only one we use is the one sync'd to our phones. Oddly, the bread crumbs are still there on highways that now show up on the new map.
Old 06-02-2015 | 01:38 PM
2009 SH-AWD TL

Tried to order the US 2015 update for my 09 Canadian TL via their customer order line on the phone and they were having issues generating the secured password based on the info I provided them. They are looking into it and will let me know once they have a resolution.

I'll bite the bullet and try the US update on the Canadian car if they can figure the issue out.
Old 07-09-2015 | 11:20 AM
6th Gear

I bought the update for my '09 TL and Florida won't update. Now, every time I start the car the nav system reminds me to complete the update which is very annoying. I returned my update disks for new ones and FL still won't update. The company that sold the update called to ask how my update went (not well obviously) but they wouldn't say if they were working on a fix. I think I'll see if I can get my money back and try to figure out how to turn off the reminder.
Old 07-10-2015 | 08:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ron_in_VA
I bought the update for my '09 TL and Florida won't update. Now, every time I start the car the nav system reminds me to complete the update which is very annoying. I returned my update disks for new ones and FL still won't update. The company that sold the update called to ask how my update went (not well obviously) but they wouldn't say if they were working on a fix. I think I'll see if I can get my money back and try to figure out how to turn off the reminder.
Did you buy the legitimate ones where you entered your VIN number?
Old 07-10-2015 | 08:57 PM
6th Gear

Yes, the Red update is from the Acura navigation center
Old 07-14-2015 | 10:07 AM
Banned

I see no point a got new NavTool and now I mirror my smartphone , I can use google maps, waze you just get so much more then just update of same old nav for 100
Old 07-15-2015 | 03:44 PM
Senior Moderator

get it once every 4-5 years. It's great before road-trips where 3G/LTE service is spotty.

Check ebay for old update disks as well. I got one for my 3G TL and MDX for around $40 for a 1 year old one.
Old 07-15-2015 | 07:49 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by csmeance
Check ebay for old update disks as well. I got one for my 3G TL and MDX for around $40 for a 1 year old one.
I thought they were tied to the VIN. How would this work with one bought on ebay?