Upgrading my TL tech audio, recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 12:58 AM
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Upgrading my TL tech audio, recommendations?

I've blown a few speakers and been back to the dealership twice to get them replaced. I've read a few articles online and seems even the Tech package on the 4th generation TL's are good, but speakers are sub-par.

Any direction you'd advise? Will the dealership replace with after-market if I have an extended warrantee?

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-15-2011, 03:12 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't know blown speakers were included with manufactures warranty. That's good to know, every time I turn the volume up, it sounds like the base is ripped. I gotta go check this out.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:38 AM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
If your speakers are covered under warranty, they will be replaced, by the dealership, with OEM speakers.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:33 AM
Pro

I've been back twice in 5-6 months for speakers. The first time they said it was one speaker, the second time, they said four of them were blown.

It sounds great but I guess I can't listen to my music at the levels I want. Please note: I listen to electronica music (House and Techno, real bass heavy stuff).
Old 12-15-2011, 04:46 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I might actually run into the same problem as you, constantly blowing the speakers, because I like to listen to my music loud at times. If that's the case, I may consider going aftermarket. I've been pretty crazy with the aftermarket mobile audio over the years so I know I can get into a lot of trouble if I really wanted to do it, lol.

However, I noticed a few things about the TL. Someone put pictures of the speakers on the forums once, and I saw that they were 2 ohm impedance. What I have noticed is that aftermarket speakers tend to be 4 ohm, so if you want to do just a straight speaker swap, the aftermarket speakers would get roughly half of the factory amps power to them. The best way to go at it would be to amplify the aftermarket speakers. Another pain in the rear since the TL has 14,000 speakers.

My speakers are fine and I have plenty of warranty left. I want my factory speakers to work and not blow on me because I really don't want to spend the money on aftermarket stuff, but if I have to, then I have to
Old 12-15-2011, 06:04 PM
Pro

I think I might have busted one of them within the first hour of having my car back. I just hate going back in and wasting a day to get them replaced.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:02 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
You and Slick might have to look into aftermarket speakers. You'll have to purchase them on your own. Like I said before, the dealership will replace blown speakers with OEM's. But if you consistently go back to the dealer with the same problem, they will reject your warranty request for the replacement of your OEM speakers. It will become obvious to them that you're listening to the sound system louder that usual.

I've seen this happen before....just so you know.

Last edited by Steven Bell; 12-15-2011 at 07:07 PM.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:06 PM
Instructor

I'm certainly not trying to listen to my music loud, and I also do not have the bass or sub level turned up. I just figured I might blow the speakers because it seems as though others have had this problem before. This is my first car since I turned 16 that I don't plan on going aftermarket with the audio (I'm 29 BTW).

Also, if you listen to your music loud, turn down the bass and sub level control. If you can hear distortion than its too loud or the levels are too high.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:09 PM
Pro

Yeah I have my bass and sub almost in the middle (regular). We'll see, if I blow them out again, I might consider grabbing the after-markets and just telling the dealership to swap them and call it even.

I've read in other threads you have to make sure they're the correct oHMs or something, or else it wont sound right.

If anyone has any recommendations on going about this? after-market speaker brands, etc... Please let me know!
Old 12-15-2011, 08:32 PM
4th Gear

This is pretty annoying. One of the main reasons I bought a TL was because it supposedly had some kind of wonderful stock system. Both my door speakers were blown from day 1 and I've had to go back 3 times now and it still doesn't sound right. It's not like I listen to my music incredibly loud but even if I do, this system should be able to take it. The system in my TL tech sounds worse than the system that comes in a Mazda 2. It's seriously pathetic. Everytime I drive this car that I just got, I cringe at the rattles coming from the door speakers.

I've painstakingly upgraded my last 3 cars. For once I just wanted a decent stock system I didn't have to mess with.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:38 PM
Pro

Do you think going after-market is the way to go?

I'm guessing the guys at Acura don't have any other options, recommendations, other than, "You need to get after-market speakers"

I don't even know where to start, ya know?
Old 12-15-2011, 08:40 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by industrial
This is pretty annoying. One of the main reasons I bought a TL was because it supposedly had some kind of wonderful stock system. Both my door speakers were blown from day 1 and I've had to go back 3 times now and it still doesn't sound right. It's not like I listen to my music incredibly loud but even if I do, this system should be able to take it. The system in my TL tech sounds worse than the system that comes in a Mazda 2. It's seriously pathetic. Everytime I drive this car that I just got, I cringe at the rattles coming from the door speakers.

I've painstakingly upgraded my last 3 cars. For once I just wanted a decent stock system I didn't have to mess with.
To be honest, the rattles you here sound like they are from constantly taking the door panels on and off, and possibly incorrect reassembly. Might want to take one of those door panels off yourself and see what's going on. That's one thing I am not having an issue with right now, rattles from the sound system.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:20 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by EazyRider562
Do you think going after-market is the way to go?

I'm guessing the guys at Acura don't have any other options, recommendations, other than, "You need to get after-market speakers"

I don't even know where to start, ya know?
I know that if I was going to do it, I'd probably replace all the speakers with Hertz speakers (not the car rental company ) and most probably JL Audio amps. I'd see what can be done about using a signal processor, like an Audison Bit One. I'd reuse my JL Audio 13TW5 woofer from my previous vehicle and I'd dynamat the piss out of the car.

But I'm trying to avoid that since it would be expensive and time consuming.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:32 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
If your speakers are covered under warranty, they will be replaced, by the dealership, with OEM speakers.
thanks
Old 12-16-2011, 02:24 PM
Pro

I want to replace the sound system, but I'm not willing to put alot of money into it. How much do you think to upgrade? less than $500?
Old 12-16-2011, 05:25 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by EazyRider562
I want to replace the sound system, but I'm not willing to put alot of money into it. How much do you think to upgrade? less than $500?
To do it right you'd need to spend at least 4x that. If Acura continues to fail to address the problem and I'll probably slap a bandaid on it. I plan to just replace the door speaker with a high quality replacement midrange and a small amp that takes speaker level inputs. Hopefully I can get it to sound decent just messing with the gains and retaining most of the factory system. I'd probably deaden the door while I'm there.

I really didn't want to do this again. I spent a solid week on my last car installing a custom system. I'm too old to be doing this kind of crap. I know too much and I'm too cheap to pay some young guy to do it for me. I know once I start doing crap, it won't stop till it's perfect. It was supposed to be perfect from the factory! That's what I get for trusting reviews and some ringer of a system they had in the demo car.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:12 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm so glad that I'm not alone on these Acura TL OEM speakers. I think on the test drive I was so excited about the car that I didnt realize how crappy the system was. After signing on the dotted line, I get in the car to drive it home and the driver side door speaker was blown! I traded in my 300C SRT Design (5.7L engine) for this car and the factory stereo was AWESOME!!!
I guess a fix would be to just buy a 10" sub, and just use that for your bass, therefore turning down your car bass to -2 or something. I think that would lessen your chances of blowing a speaker! I mean I still LOVE the car, but the stereo is kinda upsetting.