Speed dial and phone book names

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 08:24 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speed dial and phone book names

Does anyone know how to enter the name of the person when adding a phone number from call history into the phone book or speed dial?
Old 10-06-2009, 10:05 PM
BJB
10th Gear

I was wondering the exact same thing!!!
I assume if you are able to import your phone book from a compatible phone (I cannot), you might get names.

However if you are adding from phone history it looks like all you can add is a voice tag?

This does not seem to make any sense at all.

I checked the manual too and did not see any other option.

Can this be the way it is meant to work?

BJB
Old 10-07-2009, 08:12 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
How do you import names from a compatible phone? Is this only with the Tech package? I have a Verizon Blackberry 8230 World Edition. When people call me only the number shows up and not their names.

It would be cool if "Bob" calls that "Bob" would show up on the screen.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:37 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kingmeow
How do you import names from a compatible phone? Is this only with the Tech package? I have a Verizon Blackberry 8230 World Edition. When people call me only the number shows up and not their names.

It would be cool if "Bob" calls that "Bob" would show up on the screen.
with my Blackberry the names appear on the screen along with the number...I think if a number that isn't stored in your phone book comes up it's going to be on your phones call log. Save the number in your phone and resync your phonebook to the car and it will be there.
Old 10-07-2009, 04:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ah, I see why I'm not seeing the name and only the number. I have the nonTech AWD! I finally went and read that section of the manual.

On the Tech the name is displayed just like on the phone. Oh well.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:53 AM
BJB
10th Gear

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Kingmeow
Ah, I see why I'm not seeing the name and only the number. I have the nonTech AWD! I finally went and read that section of the manual.

On the Tech the name is displayed just like on the phone. Oh well.
This may be true about the non-tech....however a sales rep told me that on his non-tech, he can at least EDIT or add the caller's name on speed dial.....whereas on the tech version (which I have) it does not appear you can edit it. He seemed to be aware of that issue.

Of course as someone mentioned if you can sync with your phone with the tech....and you add it to your phone...and you then re-import your names, then it would show up.

However it seems that you should still have a way to manually enter say one more speed dial number post-import via the car tech interface with a name attached..

BJB
Old 10-10-2009, 09:47 AM
10th Gear

I guess adding it to your phone and then re-syncing is currently the only way. I have an old Treo 650 and it only reads/syncs my speed dial, which is limited, not my phonebook. It's annoying to have to re-sync every time you add another number. It would be easier to have a manual way to enter it. And the thought just occured to me when you re-sync do you also have to redo the voice tags?
Old 10-17-2009, 06:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by Gleeb22
It's annoying to have to re-sync every time you add another number. It would be easier to have a manual way to enter it. And the thought just occured to me when you re-sync do you also have to redo the voice tags?
I just ran into this with a customer. I guess I was correct that you cannot edit this name except on the device itself. That sucks. I can confirm that if you add the name to the mobile device and re-import (technically it's not a sync) the contacts, the added name appears in the car. I can also confirm that you don't need to re-record voice tags.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:17 PM
BJB
10th Gear

If you are stuck with a phone that won't import or syn to the car line mine, I found another way to do this. If you set someone up in your "address book" and put in an address for them (mostly used for GPS purposes), and then you put in the phone number....when that phone number comes up the name is attached it.

Truly a difficult workaround and only realistic for a handful of contacts but I did it for my main group.

BJB