Speakers upgrade-does it help?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 09:56 AM
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
Speakers upgrade-does it help?

Just curious if anyone changes speakers only to get better sound? I have my TL for 5 days and will be needing an upgrade, just not good enough for me.
If you dis was it a considerable improvement or will I need to go all out speakers/amps and some integration.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:51 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You're talking about a base model or tech package?
Old 07-28-2012, 11:10 PM
Racer

It would be for the tech package.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:22 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
There will always be "something better" out there: better speakers, better amps, etc. However it's bang-for-buck that you're probably after, which is why you're asking the question. If you just had money to burn you'd have already done it.

I will say that I'm a real stickler for audio quality. Too many cars today have boomy, loud systems that really just pump a lot of bass and shrill highs and people think it's a good system because you can hear it from 2 blocks away. I'm a musician, and I like to hear a balanced sound out that is representative of the way the songs were recorded.

That said, the Tech Package has one of the nicest, most balanced, sound systems I've heard in a car. Sure you could spend thousands of dollars to upgrade the speakers and amps, but I'm not sure you'd feel like you got your money's worth afterwards. Every car I've ever owned, and in many of my friends' cars, I've thought the stock sound systems was average to poor. The TL Tech is the first stock sound system I've sat in where I've been completely happy with the sound once I've dialed it in (I basically flat-line all the tone controls and have subwoofer at +1).
The following users liked this post:
Ant$ (08-24-2012)
Old 07-29-2012, 10:34 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't disagree with what's already been said. I used to be pretty into car audio back in the late 80s and 90s. Was planning on putting some kind of system together in here likely with some cool vintage amps or something. Honestly, it sounds solid and balanced. I could make it significantly better but man that would be time and money. This is probably the only factory system I've seen that I can say that about (I just nod politely to friends when they ask me to tune/setup their upgraded stock systems from other brands).

Anyway if I was going to do one thing it would be the low end bass. The stock free air sub doesn't have enough punch for the higher ranges and can't hit the deep bass notes. For most listening it's fine but this is the weak point in the system. A few threads on aftermarket subs and integration. I still toy with this idea from time to time. If I didn't have kids/family and work a lot I'd probably do it but I'm okay for now.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:10 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
The problem with most stock systems is a lack of power which leads to a lack of dynamics and the ability to play from 20hz to 20khz and do so with authority. It should faithfully reproduce the source material which requires lots of power and cone area. Ive got 800w available for the front stage and its barely enough. Not to get annoyingly loud but to produce the dynamics of modern recordings. A system drawing 50w rms may require 500w on the peaks to accurately reproduce the source material.

Ive changed mine several times over the years to produce life like sound and I'm finally there. 800w on the front stage which consists of Dynaudio mw182 10" midbass in the doors, 3.5" Dyn 430 midrange and Dyn 102 tweeters. Subs are a pair of infinite baffle 15s and amps are JL HDs that fit under the seats.

This is what I feel is required for realistic, accurate sound reproduction at almost any volume. The best part is no space is taken up except for maybe 10% of the trunk.

I would not do aftermarket speakers without aftermarket amplification, they go hand in hand and compliment one another. In car audio bigger is usually better when it comes to speakers whether you're looking for spl, sound quality, efficiency, or all of the above.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:07 PM
Racer

Definitely looking for SQ. My previous car was 2006 Jetta 2.0T in which I had done a full system in Focal speakers and Clarion amps. I though I could live with the TL system, agreeably one of the better on the market but the more I listen the more I want to improve it. Even my wife is saying I should look into it, and she is so not into spending money or modifying things in a car.

I got the tones flat as recommended by some here it is not bad but I noticed the louder I play there is quite a bit of distortion coming in from the sub, or back of the car. I think that sub is fighting to reproduce too many frequencies. I wonder what it is crossed over at.

Would it be somehow possible to use the signals from the factory amp run them into aftermarket amps and then to speakers? It should give them more cleaner power and more options for setting up better crossover points. Hmm a custom harness would be nice.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:49 PM
Drifting

Received 671 Likes on 541 Posts
The only change i made to my stock system is the sub.I think that it was the only area that was lacking since the oem sub is not capable of reproducing certain low frequency.

I feel that an aftermarket sub/amp combo is a good start to what is already an otherwise very good system.

Perhaps the most difficult thing to do is create a good front stage where the music seems to be coming to you rather than from behind you,atm i am very happy with my current setup and while there is a lot of room for expansion/improvement i feel it is not necessary for my requirements.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:56 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'll be adding an amp and sub to my car tomorrow. Nothing big, just a little extra oomph for the low frequencies. Other than that, I am completely happy with the stock sound.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:06 AM
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by sympley
Definitely looking for SQ. My previous car was 2006 Jetta 2.0T in which I had done a full system in Focal speakers and Clarion amps. I though I could live with the TL system, agreeably one of the better on the market but the more I listen the more I want to improve it. Even my wife is saying I should look into it, and she is so not into spending money or modifying things in a car.

I got the tones flat as recommended by some here it is not bad but I noticed the louder I play there is quite a bit of distortion coming in from the sub, or back of the car. I think that sub is fighting to reproduce too many frequencies. I wonder what it is crossed over at.

Would it be somehow possible to use the signals from the factory amp run them into aftermarket amps and then to speakers? It should give them more cleaner power and more options for setting up better crossover points. Hmm a custom harness would be nice.
A few of us have already changed our system by adding processors, amps and speakers. Do a search and you will see plenty of options.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:52 AM
WINNING

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tenstrum
I'll be adding an amp and sub to my car tomorrow. Nothing big, just a little extra oomph for the low frequencies. Other than that, I am completely happy with the stock sound.
I am just wondering,...
with a new sub and amp..
the amp has to be powered from the battery....then the aftermarket sub gets powered up to the system how?
Can someone just explain..sorry for a dumb question
Old 08-23-2012, 01:57 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I have customized the sound system in every vehicle Ive ever owned. Then when I got my TL tech I was satisfied for the first time with the sound. Its enough for me. Plus Im not sure if messing with the electrical system on the car voids my warranty or not.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:51 AM
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by DopeAcura
I have customized the sound system in every vehicle Ive ever owned. Then when I got my TL tech I was satisfied for the first time with the sound. Its enough for me. Plus Im not sure if messing with the electrical system on the car voids my warranty or not.
Voiding the warranty will depend on how you connect your aftermarket components to the OEM system. As long as you integrate after the OEM amp and not modifiy the electrical wiring your warranty will not be voided.

Last edited by Brew0360; 08-24-2012 at 09:59 AM.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:40 PM
Intermediate

I second DopeAcura's reply. Have installed new systems in every car for over 30 years (3 prior Acuras) and this system is about as good as it gets. Heard some Levinson in other cars and this is close. If you have DVD-Audio discs, it is truly engaging. As an audiophile, I am very satisfied with the system.
To change out 10 speakers! The system is highly tuned with the speakers and amplification to each car Acura makes.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Audiophile here too. I owned Krell equipmnt at home and played in a band. I've always upgraded my sound system to satisfy my golden ears. I owned a wonderful 2006 TSX will my sales guy begged me to test drive the 4g. It was the audio system that made me buy it. Not the best, but one of he best stock systems I had heard. I have a Marvin Gaye greastest hists DVD and the song Aint that paculiar is just awesome in 5.1. Been playing the song for years and NEVER heard it like that. It was like hearing it for the first time. If I was to upgrade the audio systme in my tech, I know I would spend a small fortune to get it right for my ears. So I'm relly happy with what we got stock.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:20 PM
1st Gear

I just upgraded the speakers in my TSX with Nav/Tech package.

FRONTS: Polk Dxi650s (Shallow mount)

REAR DECK: Focal IC165.

REAR DOOR: Left stock speakers in pace-no upgrade.
These made a noticeable difference in the clarity, bass and overall soundstage. I couldn't accept the limited and poor quality of the stock speakers.