Reverse Camera - Trajectory Lines

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 10:39 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Reverse Camera - Trajectory Lines

Hello,

As we all know the 4th Gen TL's back-up camera does not provide trajectory lines that will shift position as the steering wheel is turned. The lines will simply stay straight as an arrow regardless of steering input. My question is, is there some sort of update/mod that can be installed to have these lines provide the actual trajectory of the vehicle as the driver maneuvers while backing up?
Old 12-01-2014, 12:48 PM
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
im so used to the straight lines... when I had an RLX with curved lines I couldn't get used to it.... threw me off so hard!
Old 12-01-2014, 01:30 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Originally Posted by heavyhitter86
Hello,

As we all know the 4th Gen TL's back-up camera does not provide trajectory lines that will shift position as the steering wheel is turned. The lines will simply stay straight as an arrow regardless of steering input. My question is, is there some sort of update/mod that can be installed to have these lines provide the actual trajectory of the vehicle as the driver maneuvers while backing up?
it's a limitation on the hardware.
so, no software updates will get you trajectory lines.
Old 12-01-2014, 01:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 80 Posts
Yeah I'm use to the straight lines as well. I've used others and while it's cool, I don't really know how useful it is because I'm not even sure if I trust the lines.

I think Acura's reverse cam has got to be one of the best or clearest. My 2014 Camry has it off to one side and seems always dirty compared to mine. My friend's 2006 X6 camera sucks crap. Takes forever for it to kick in. Most of the time you're already reversed in a spot. Even drove a C63 AMG and the lens is so convex that it makes it look distorted and confusing.
Old 12-01-2014, 01:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewcjduong
I think Acura's reverse cam has got to be one of the best or clearest. My 2014 Camry has it off to one side and seems always dirty compared to mine...
That's less a function of the camera, and has more to do with the shape of the vehicle. My wife's Pilot has the same cam as the TL (only the newer models can switch modes between "normal", "wide-angle", and "top-down"), and hers gets dirty if she drives more than a block or so. That's the one thing I like about VW's...the camera tucks away when the car is in forward gear.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by sockpuppet
That's less a function of the camera, and has more to do with the shape of the vehicle. My wife's Pilot has the same cam as the TL (only the newer models can switch modes between "normal", "wide-angle", and "top-down"), and hers gets dirty if she drives more than a block or so. That's the one thing I like about VW's...the camera tucks away when the car is in forward gear.
Another thing to break on that VW
Old 08-02-2018, 12:35 PM
4th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Just wanted to add to this thread for anyone searching in the future, the yellow lines on the screen (when in reverse) must come from the main head unit or monitor itself. I have my camera disconnected right now, (but still have the activation wire connected), so when I put go in reverse the screen is blank, but the yellow lines are there, so they can't be part of the camera.
The following users liked this post:
echodigital (08-03-2018)
Old 08-04-2018, 10:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlet19
Just wanted to add to this thread for anyone searching in the future, the yellow lines on the screen (when in reverse) must come from the main head unit or monitor itself. I have my camera disconnected right now, (but still have the activation wire connected), so when I put go in reverse the screen is blank, but the yellow lines are there, so they can't be part of the camera.
Yes it's overlaid via the navi system. If you put the car in R fast enough, you'll see them pop up after a few seconds of the camera being on. Biggest issue is that I don't believe the rear camera function has access to the steering angle sensor to move the lines.