New touchscreen head unit for CarPlay

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2022, 01:04 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New touchscreen head unit for CarPlay

I was looking recently on Alibaba and found some really interesting new units since I refuse to buy from Navtool.

I am wondering if anyone else has tried these out. They appear to go on top of the existing upper screen and that you remove the clear plastic over it. Hookup seems similar to Navtool although nobody has shared the documentation with me thus far. I got mixed answers about the ability to use the existing microphone and backup camera or having to provide/install new ones. They say they do support the steering wheel buttons. They are touch screen and support wireless Carplay and Android Auto.

The manufacturer appears to be Shenzhen Meilishu, although it's impossible to find a website for them in order to get additional documentation beyond what Alibaba sellers are sharing. I've seen around 4-5 different sellers / brand names / prices. You can get different amounts of memory for it, but I guess that would only be useful if you installed more native Android apps onto it.

Seems like this would be great, provided it works, can be successfully installed, etc. I am guessing you lose your FM radio but who cares.

Has anyone tackled this? Would love to see how you did.
Old 05-04-2022, 03:21 PM
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 89 Posts
I'd love for someone to take the plunge on this, it looks really good from that view. From the other pics it looks like it has some big plastic socket-type thing that slots right into the cavern where the screen currently resides to hold the whole unit in place. I am personally very weary of dropping that kind of coin on sketchy Alibaba products, but it'd be nice to know if it's junk or not.
Old 05-04-2022, 04:59 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vertigo2
big plastic socket-type thing that slots right into the cavern where the screen currently resides to hold the whole unit in place.
Some of the listings have a side photo. Definitely got me curious.
Old 05-04-2022, 08:21 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...4cbc6b0f2qQahG

It does look nice, but the video demo showing turning the middle knob kinda throws me off though they do say it's "touch"
Old 05-05-2022, 06:59 AM
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 89 Posts
Surely this means that at least one car in North America has it, as these cars were only for the NA market weren't they?