Trying to install backup camera on base model

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 08:54 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trying to install backup camera on base model

does anyone have information on upgrading a base model with a nav screen with a backup camera? Im not sure where to start, I have a 14 TL but I want to see the options or if can be done
Old 07-18-2017, 09:52 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Might be a lot easier to go aftermarket
Old 03-07-2018, 08:25 PM
4th Gear

What did you end up doing? I'm in the same situation and wanting to replace base TL screen with Nav system, but finding it is VERY difficult because everything is connected and hardly anything works from a Navi system placed into the base TL.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:24 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Aftermarket deck with a license plate (or above the plate) mounted camera. Works great. Pretty easy to integrate with base model stereo. Did everything myself.
The following users liked this post:
echodigital (03-27-2018)
Old 03-22-2018, 12:43 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Forgot to mention, climate controls still display on top screen, however compass, clock and other info is lost and just blank. I usually have my iPhone mounted there so works out really well as you can still see the climate controls when it is mounted. Feel free to ask any questions, I too went through A LOT of researching before I decided on going aftermarket. Very very happy with the outcome though.
Old 03-24-2018, 03:04 PM
4th Gear

Looks great! I'm still plugging along with installing an OEM nav system. I have purchased the following OEM parts (from various salvage yards) head unit, amp, HFL module, XM/Acuralink module, GSP antenna, air vent bezel, navigation screen, cable from passenger MICU to head unit and cable from passenger MICU to amp in truck. All of it currently connected and running on the floor of the passenger side (Nothing installed in the dash yet)... still way too many "little things" that need to be figured out. It is working (except roof microphone and rear camera).
Old 01-21-2022, 07:00 PM
3rd Gear

Hey is there any DIY video you watched am ready to try this out. Any diagram?

Originally Posted by TLTesh604
Forgot to mention, climate controls still display on top screen, however compass, clock and other info is lost and just blank. I usually have my iPhone mounted there so works out really well as you can still see the climate controls when it is mounted. Feel free to ask any questions, I too went through A LOT of researching before I decided on going aftermarket. Very very happy with the outcome though.
Old 05-14-2022, 07:44 PM
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TLTesh604

Aftermarket deck with a license plate (or above the plate) mounted camera. Works great. Pretty easy to integrate with base model stereo. Did everything myself.
Man, I wanted to go with an OEM solution, but that looks slick! As for the backup camera, I’m hesitant to mount it so low. Also, in Arizona, they passed a law where the state where your plate is from cannot be obstructed. How did that affect your factory Hands-Free Bluetooth, and steering wheel controls? Also, what head unit is that? I want to add CarPlay, and a backup camera, but I cannot afford to break the bank.