MP3 vs WMA for USB

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 10:03 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MP3 vs WMA for USB

Upgraded to a bigger USB drive, got tired of the HDD conversion quality.

I have mp3 128-320kbps mostly right now, but am wondering if worth it to switch to WMA for my CD collection. Tried the WMA "lossless" compression but the audio unit will not play it (reading the manual this is not surprising, oh well).

I'm having trouble discerning between WMA vs mp3 at the same bitrates: mp3 320 vs WMA variable ~340 based on 1 track. I'm going to try a few more songs to see but wondering if anyone has more insight into this....Bmode?
Old 12-29-2009, 08:52 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It will be tough to discern the difference between a minimally-compressed MP3 and "lossless" WMA. If you pay close attention to the extreme highs and lows in a track, and are listening in a quiet environment, at the exact same volume, some people would be able to hear the differences, but not everyone.

Even so called "lossless" compression schemes do cause some loss in quality anyway.

128kbps MP3s will definitely sound worse than WMAs, but 320kbps MP3s are so good, I personally don't think it would be worth the effort to re-rip and convert anything to another format.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:51 AM
Im Broke But Im Ok

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
get a IPOD
Old 12-29-2009, 01:26 PM
Instructor

What does getting an iPod have to do with the compression quality of the files saved on it?
Old 12-31-2009, 07:06 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I guess that's Free's way of saying, make things easier and use and iPod. But the D/A converters on a iPod aren't as good as CD quality from the stock audio head unit.

I'm actually not a good source anymore for this II_22. I'm convinced that any audio on the PC platform is inferior to the Mac, regardless of how good the AV card is. While that's not the topic here, it is in correlation to the WMA format. I've been working and burning music on Windows XP for a few days and it just doesn't sound right. I made a best INXS disc (I know I'm old) the other day from my Windows computer and I tossed it because there were hints of distortion and lack of clarity. I compiled the same discs using iTunes and the CD was cleaner on the Mac Pro? My ears must be seriously bias.

While splurging for a new Mac is not realistic for some, I would suggest getting Quicktime Pro for Windoze and utilize the AIFF or WAV format, then load up that USB drive. It sounds like you can now hear the difference in compressed audio, congrats! Sucks don't it, especially at the 128kps rate on the HDD, which is why mine is still empty. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful or positive.

Happy new year all Acura owners! If you have time, give a listen to my old man chill out music on iTunes entitiled "Bmode's Eclectic Cafe". Shameful plug. :-)
Old 12-31-2009, 08:38 AM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
I don't know if you're going to find a better audio quality than 320kbps MP3 that is going to play on the USB disk in the TL. I have FLAC's of my CD's that I've ripped and you could only tell the difference between those and the comparative 320kbps MP3's with some high end headphones, which brings another item into light. You may try to play a higher quality audio thru the TL's audio system, but the system may not be good enough for you to hear the difference.

I have to agree with the others above and say to stick with the 320kbps MP3's as it's unlikely the VBR WMA will be better enough to discern. Personally, I never liked any VBR to begin with, only because it will drop the bit rate when it can, and I'd rather have a consistent one throughout my song. Maybe I'm just biased.

Bmode, I listed to your stuff on Lala a while ago, It's good stuff, like very chill house music.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:16 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by bmode
I guess that's Free's way of saying, make things easier and use and iPod. But the D/A converters on a iPod aren't as good as CD quality from the stock audio head unit.

I'm actually not a good source anymore for this II_22. I'm convinced that any audio on the PC platform is inferior to the Mac, regardless of how good the AV card is. While that's not the topic here, it is in correlation to the WMA format. I've been working and burning music on Windows XP for a few days and it just doesn't sound right. I made a best INXS disc (I know I'm old) the other day from my Windows computer and I tossed it because there were hints of distortion and lack of clarity. I compiled the same discs using iTunes and the CD was cleaner on the Mac Pro? My ears must be seriously bias.

While splurging for a new Mac is not realistic for some, I would suggest getting Quicktime Pro for Windoze and utilize the AIFF or WAV format, then load up that USB drive. It sounds like you can now hear the difference in compressed audio, congrats! Sucks don't it, especially at the 128kps rate on the HDD, which is why mine is still empty. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful or positive.

Happy new year all Acura owners! If you have time, give a listen to my old man chill out music on iTunes entitiled "Bmode's Eclectic Cafe". Shameful plug. :-)
The DACs in an iPod will have no effect on the audio quality while being played in a car unless an analog cable is used to the connect the iPod. If you use the USB cable and the files stored on the iPod are accessed directly by the TL's audio system, the DACs don't come into play.

The PC to Mac Audio comparison is also incorrect. If you're simply reproducing digital copies of the same files, without re-encoding, it doesn't matter what platform you use, the output will be identical. If, however, you're re-encoding, the format will come into play. At the hardware level, Macs and PCs are identical now--Macs are using the same intel processors and motherboards as everyone else--Apple just charges more for it.

Encoding quality is determined by the codec / format / level of compression, not the platform it's on. Audio output quality from a PC or Mac is determined by the sound card / drivers / speakers. If you use the free integrated audio on a PC or Mac, they're virtually identical. Throw in a high-end sound card and there is no comparison, the PC is far superior to the Mac with consumer level applicaitons. In the professional space, I don't have an opinion, because I'm not familiar enough with the products. All I do is test and write about consumer-class PC products all day though.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:21 AM
Three Wheelin'

So your telling me that an uncompressed AIFF audio file on an iPod at 44.1khz, will sound just the same as a file on the commercial CD? Hmm? I realize the analog cable brings in the DAC, but the OP didn't say how they were utilizing the iPod? Plus not all iPod port connections are equal, especially from car to car. That's just a vague statement.

Regarding the apps, I don't use consumer apps for anything audio, and as for the platform goes, when the Mastering Houses in LA start using PC as their platform, then I'll concede equality. Pro Tools, Sonic Solutions, Pro Logic Studio to name a few are the apps I use daily. Damn right Apple is more expensive, you get what you pay for, that's why I got a TL, and not a Maxima. Writing and testing "consumer-class" PC products all day hardly makes you an authority on quality, especially PC products. We can discuss this all day, but bottom line is that it's all subjective as to what's best, while I respect your opinion, I'm glad I don't follow the "PC pack"! Think different and think for myself is my way of life.

Last edited by bmode; 01-01-2010 at 08:26 AM.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:24 AM
Three Wheelin'

Hey Pete, thanks for the listen! Cheers.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:01 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys, I'll probably stick w/ mp3 320 for now i guess. The USB does not play .wav and not sure if I want to bother w/ iTunes to re-rip all of my music.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:49 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ll_22
Upgraded to a bigger USB drive, got tired of the HDD conversion quality.

I have mp3 128-320kbps mostly right now, but am wondering if worth it to switch to WMA for my CD collection. Tried the WMA "lossless" compression but the audio unit will not play it (reading the manual this is not surprising, oh well).

I'm having trouble discerning between WMA vs mp3 at the same bitrates: mp3 320 vs WMA variable ~340 based on 1 track. I'm going to try a few more songs to see but wondering if anyone has more insight into this....Bmode?
Compressed mp3 will not sound appreciably differenct than compressed wma. As you have found, lossless wma won't play on most devices.

For most music, a well-encoded mp3 (or wma) file will be indistinguishable from the source unless you train your ears to detect certain specific mp3 articfacts.

To learn more about it than you could ever possibly want to know, check out www.hydrogenaudio.org.