lost key but car still turns on! help please

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 12:13 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lost key but car still turns on! help please

Today i misplaced my key for my 09 acura tl that has push start. I looked for it but couldnt find it. The car still turned on with the push start and i was able to drive it . is the key somewhere in the car since its turning on? I also tried locking the car and when i closed the door it unlocked on its own. At night i left one window open just incase the car locked. In the morning i tried to get in the car but it was locked i got inside and the alarm went off . i tried push starting it but now it asked to enter the key. Can anyone help me
Old 12-21-2015, 07:59 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes the key fab has to be in the car somewhere. Keep looking!
Old 12-21-2015, 10:09 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Vanderjdm
Yes the key fab has to be in the car somewhere. Keep looking!
But now the car doesnt turn on itsays to insert the keyin slot.
Old 12-21-2015, 11:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
Maybe check yesterday's pockets?
Old 12-22-2015, 10:56 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts
Running the same topic in two separate sub forums is bad internet manners.
Old 12-22-2015, 09:52 PM
Pro

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
When the key is away from the car it is in the receive mode only which uses very little battery power. As you get close to the car, the key receives a signal being transmitted by the car and it in turn begins transmitting it's ID code required to unlock the doors and start the engine.

The transmitting key uses much more battery power than it does while receiving. Once the engine is started the key returns to the receive only mode.

I believe that your key is inside the vehicle, and the constant transmission of ID codes killed the battery overnight. That resulted in your car once again behaving as if the key was not present.

You need to find the key and replace the battery.
The following users liked this post:
sockpuppet (12-23-2015)
Old 12-23-2015, 08:18 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by sockpuppet
Running the same topic in two separate sub forums is bad internet manners.
Show me where it says i cant do that and ill delete it.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:20 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by RDX-Rick
When the key is away from the car it is in the receive mode only which uses very little battery power. As you get close to the car, the key receives a signal being transmitted by the car and it in turn begins transmitting it's ID code required to unlock the doors and start the engine.

The transmitting key uses much more battery power than it does while receiving. Once the engine is started the key returns to the receive only mode.

I believe that your key is inside the vehicle, and the constant transmission of ID codes killed the battery overnight. That resulted in your car once again behaving as if the key was not present.

Thanks very much im going to keep looking
Old 12-23-2015, 09:46 AM
Intermediate

Whatever. The guy is in a bind and needs advice. Can't expect him to waste time reviewing the entire board.
Exactly why I review forums often for tips and tricks but very rarely post anything.
Old 12-23-2015, 09:48 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dizzie23
Thanks very much im going to keep looking
Beautiful and helpful response. Just learned more than I ever knew about keyless entry.
Old 12-23-2015, 10:50 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX-Rick

That's some new information to me. So you mean to say that the key fob if left accidentally in the car will lose its charge in one night. That's so strange.
Old 12-23-2015, 10:59 AM
Pro

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by Comfy
So you mean to say that the key fob if left accidentally in the car will lose its charge in one night. That's so strange.
Not saying it will happen overnight, but it will shorten the battery life considerably. I'm assuming the OP's key was not at 100% full when he lost it.

I know of one person who parked his car with a valet service for about 8 hours every day. The valet left the key in the car for convenience. The battery had to be changed about every 3 months compared to the normal 1-2 years.

Also storing your key near a source of electro magnetic radiation ( for example a TV), can trigger the key into transmitting mode, and therefore also reduce the battery life.
Old 12-23-2015, 11:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by Vanderjdm
Whatever. The guy is in a bind and needs advice. Can't expect him to waste time reviewing the entire board.
Exactly why I review forums often for tips and tricks but very rarely post anything.
I didn't suggest he search before posting; that's another topic altogether.

I suggested that is was bad manners to post in the general 4G forum, wait 8 minutes, and then post the same question in a subforum.

Part of the reason that searching is such a pain is because of all the duplication. Some of this comes from users posting questions that have already been asked and answered. It seems a waste to further muddy the forum with multiple posts by the same user concerning the same question (ron?).

If OP posted, and then realized it should have been in a different area, he could have simply asked a mod to move it.