IPhone through USB stops playback suddenly

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 08:37 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IPhone through USB stops playback suddenly

I have a brand new 2010 TL w/ TECH.

I plug in my iPhone through the USB jack and the audio starts playing through the stereo. Then moments later (seemingly randomly) it'll stop and won't restart. Nothing I do will get it to restart. I have to unplug it and re-plug it in though the USB cord to get it to start playing through the stereo again. I assume this is a conflict with the bluetooth audio.

Anyone know how to fix it?
Old 01-05-2010, 09:33 PM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Maybe the Iphone is running low on free memory. I'd restart the iPhone (holding the home and top buttons down until you see the Apple logo) and then reconnect. I don't believe the BT audio will have a conflict if you have selected the input to use the USB/iPod.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:50 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by WRXhokie
I have a brand new 2010 TL w/ TECH.

I plug in my iPhone through the USB jack and the audio starts playing through the stereo. Then moments later (seemingly randomly) it'll stop and won't restart. Nothing I do will get it to restart. I have to unplug it and re-plug it in though the USB cord to get it to start playing through the stereo again. I assume this is a conflict with the bluetooth audio.

Anyone know how to fix it?
I am having the same problem and was just going to post the same question. My Iphone(3gs), has plenty of memory and the latest software. What I realized is, I have to plug it in and wait for a minute or so then it works. However, it has stopped playing the sound(track still advancing) a few times.

I also get a screen on my iphone when I first plug it in that says "this accessory is not supported" then it starts working.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:53 PM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by fastmd
I am having the same problem and was just going to post the same question. My Iphone(3gs), has plenty of memory and the latest software. What I realized is, I have to plug it in and wait for a minute or so then it works. However, it has stopped playing the sound(track still advancing) a few times.

I also get a screen on my iphone when I first plug it in that says "this accessory is not supported" then it starts working.
I have the same thing happen. I think they just can't keep up with the quickly evolving iphone software updates. Where the normal iPod doesn't have a constantly updating software.

Just a guess though...
Old 01-05-2010, 11:28 PM
I am a bullet proof tiger

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have had the same problem for over a year now with my 09 TL, and 2 different Iphones, the first gen iphone and 3G-S. My ipod never has an issue, I also get the warning on the iphone that the accessory is not supported.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:14 AM
Advanced

I had this issue the other day.......my problem was the bluetooth had turned back on and had sync'd to the car. So it was playing on the bluetooth link. I had to go in and turn the Bluetooth off and it has been working again no problem.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:18 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by thurley42
I had this issue the other day.......my problem was the bluetooth had turned back on and had sync'd to the car. So it was playing on the bluetooth link. I had to go in and turn the Bluetooth off and it has been working again no problem.
Thats exactly what is happening to me. It sync's via the bluetooth and automatically switches to output its audio over the bluetooth link instead of though the dock connector. Its annoying. Other than disabling bluetooth I guess there's no way to stop that from happening.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:26 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by petec2010
I have the same thing happen. I think they just can't keep up with the quickly evolving iphone software updates. Where the normal iPod doesn't have a constantly updating software.

Just a guess though...
What we'd need to do to verify this is to get a comment from someone who's using the iPod Touch via USB. If the iPod Touch gives the same error message, then it is related to the 3.1.2 firmware.

I was disappointed to see that message on my iPhone, but it has not affected playback in iPod mode so far.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:00 AM
10th Gear

Been using an iPod Touch with 3.1.2 firmware since I got the car and I have had 2 instances where the iPod would not play at start up. I just disconnected and reconnected and all was good. Never had an instance where the iPod would play, and then stop. Just FYI.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:34 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by George Knighton
What we'd need to do to verify this is to get a comment from someone who's using the iPod Touch via USB. If the iPod Touch gives the same error message, then it is related to the 3.1.2 firmware.

I was disappointed to see that message on my iPhone, but it has not affected playback in iPod mode so far.

Sorry, I was using a Touch..not an iPhone...no error messages, just the bluetooth problem.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:26 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm pretty sure it's the bit rate problem. I have no problem playin mp3 files with 128kbps anything over that bit rate, the audio cuts off and I have to replug. pretty lame.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:37 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by StuartMMVITL
Maybe the Iphone is running low on free memory. I'd restart the iPhone (holding the home and top buttons down until you see the Apple logo) and then reconnect. I don't believe the BT audio will have a conflict if you have selected the input to use the USB/iPod.
Do you really think that it's possible for an iPhone's application memory to run that low?

Apple require that all approved applications terminate when you push the main menu button.

Mail, iPod, Safari and Phone can remain resident in memory, depending on what you are doing. But everything else automatically removes itself from memory unless you're jailbreak + Backgrounder, or something like that.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:40 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by thurley42
Sorry, I was using a Touch..not an iPhone...no error messages, just the bluetooth problem.
That's too bad. This probably means I'll experience the problem at some point.

Originally Posted by fusiongt
I'm pretty sure it's the bit rate problem. I have no problem playin mp3 files with 128kbps anything over that bit rate, the audio cuts off and I have to replug. pretty lame.
Also too bad, since everybody's into recording at the higher bit rate whenever they can. :-)

Still... It seems to me the iPod and iPhone work better than most other possibilities, don't they?

Or do they?
Old 01-07-2010, 12:23 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by George Knighton
Still... It seems to me the iPod and iPhone work better than most other possibilities, don't they?

Or do they?
To tell you the truth, I eventually stopped using my Touch after a while since my Droid works so well over the Bluetooth link. Now the Touch just sits in the center console...