Import Phone question - 1000 contacts..

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 02:13 AM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
Import Phone question - 1000 contacts..

I finally tried to import my phonebook into my 2009 TL. it started the process and it kept going and going and going and going.. i must have sat in teh car for 20 minutes..and it kept going.

i gae upa nd cancelled it by jus shutting the car off.

FYI - i have just over 1000 contacts in my phone. I have a huge contacts list.. basically, anytime I contact someonek, that is personal/business related, I put them in my phonebook. businesses I frequent, i add themt o my phonebook.. so in my iphone, I have tons and tons of work contacts, my personal contacts, and quite a few business entries for stores, restaurants, etc.

as a result.. i have a HUGE phonebook.

i really dont' want or need 1000 entries in my phonebook in my car. I Just want to input the 20-30 peopel that I call all the time.. but the system doesn't appear to have any way to manually input them.. it only wnats to import them...

suggestions?
Old 10-17-2012, 04:42 PM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
I somewhat figured this out on my own after playing around with the import phonebook function and the internal settings of my iPhone. I"m posting my own resolution here - so that if someone else has this issue - they can read this and maybe it solves their problem.

i keep tons of contacts in my phone. many of them I rarely call, but I want their info there if/when I need it. As far as my "favorites" go - I have maybe 10 phone numbers that I call over and over...

I was worried that by importing my phonebook - I'd import thousands of numbers that I really don't want in my car's phonebook.

In my iPhone..in the bluetooth settings - you can go into a sub menu for the particular bluetooth device you are syncing with. in this case "handsfreelink". once you select that and go into it's sub menu, there are options you can check / uncheck - and that specifies how MUCH contct info you want to sync.

there was a setting for syncing only favorites. I selected that and deslected ALL contacts.

i then tried to import phonebook - not sure if the changes I made to the iphone would affect what the car tried to import - but it worked. My car took like 10 seconds and said it imported 6 entires. that's all I have in my favorites. it imported the contact name and all numbers associated with that contact.

I then could edit my speed dial entries, and select which number i wante to set.

hope this helps someone - i'm assumign that on other phones like droids, etc - there is probably some kind of simliar setting.. but on an iphone.. you need to go into the bluetooth menu..then go into the submenu for handsfreelink and you can essentially restrict how many phonebook entires it will sync with the phonebook.

which is perfect..because from my car.. realistically..most of us are only calling our "favorite" types people on a regular basis..such that you would want them preprogrammed into the phonebook.
The following 2 users liked this post by 23109VC:
GStar (03-21-2013), Megatron_79 (06-02-2013)
Old 03-18-2013, 11:20 AM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very helpful. I'm going to do the same thing. I don't want all 2000 of my contacts loaded in my car. How secure is that? A short list of favourites (Canadian spelling) is all I really want.