How to wire OEM camera for aftermarket stereo

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 09:07 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to wire OEM camera for aftermarket stereo

If I have an aftermarket stereo with an RCA connection for the backup camera, how can I get my OEM backup camera to work with it? Is it just a matter of tapping into certain wires on the radio harness and splicing them into an RCA cable? If so, which wires?
Old 06-16-2018, 11:57 PM
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts
Have you looked at the TL service manual for a possible wiring diagram? https://acurazine.com/forums/fourth-...manual-956811/
Old 06-19-2018, 04:17 PM
Pro

Received 114 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by EnsignRicki
If I have an aftermarket stereo with an RCA connection for the backup camera, how can I get my OEM backup camera to work with it? Is it just a matter of tapping into certain wires on the radio harness and splicing them into an RCA cable? If so, which wires?
I tried all of exactly what you're trying. It will work. but nothing like you hope it will....its static and not clear or bright
Old 06-20-2018, 09:07 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrphilipanderson
I tried all of exactly what you're trying. It will work. but nothing like you hope it will....its static and not clear or bright
How did you do it? My thought is to splice the camera video signal wire to the positive wire of the male RCA cable. Then splice the camera video signal ground to the negative wire of the RCA cable. But then for my purpose, I need to splice the camera power source wire to a constant source of power. My first thought was to simply splice it to the vehicle accessory wire which is 12 V. But I was looking at the TL service manual and it looks like the camera power source wire is 8 V. Googling, I've seen people suggest using a voltage converter. But I was hoping I could find another wire among all the radio harnesses that carried a constant 8 V so I could just tap into that instead of using a converter. The only one I could find according to the service manual is for the microphone output signal positive. But I don't know if that wire carries a constant 8 V or if it's only 8 V when the microphone is manually activated. Does anyone know or have any other suggestions?