DVD-Audio and DTS Titles In My Collection

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 08:40 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dts cd = 5.1 cd

Originally Posted by sdl13
Posted another thread but should have posted here. Still a newbie.
Before I spend a lot on DVD-A discs. Can someone tell me if DTS discs also play in surround sound or should I just look for the DTS Audio discs.

Thanks,

sdl13
2010 TL Tech

DTS-CD's are 5.1 channels but the audio quality is CD-quality. DVD Audio's are 5.1 but far beyond CD and DVD quality together.

Regards

Luis
Old 04-27-2011, 01:11 PM
10th Gear

DVD-A's for sale right now on E-bay

I have (3) DVD-A's for sale on E-bay. All listened to just a couple times.

Eagle-Hotel California

Fourplay - Fourplay

B.B. King & Eric Clapton - Riding with the King

Bids end in less than 2 days and lots of watchers. Curious to see what they sell for.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by mrstorage

Eagle-Hotel California

Fourplay - Fourplay

Bids end in less than 2 days and lots of watchers. Curious to see what they sell for.
Fourplay on DVD-A?? I like that group, a lot.

I don't go for flea-bay though.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:47 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
Fourplay on DVD-A?? I like that group, a lot.

I don't go for flea-bay though.
They sure do, it was very popular on this forum a few years ago. Tried selling on Craigslist but not a big enough audience as I never received any calls.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:27 PM
Suzuka Master

They sure do, it was very popular on this forum a few years ago. Tried selling on Craigslist but not a big enough audience as I never received any calls.
No offense but I will remix my own for that price. Good luck
Old 04-29-2011, 09:53 AM
CPR
Burning Brakes

Received 277 Likes on 144 Posts
Layla & Other assorted Love songs DVD/A

Anyone hear the above 5.1 version
I won't spend $100 for one disc; don't need the others
Just curious
thx
Old 05-01-2011, 08:46 AM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Can we get a link?

Eagle-Hotel California

Fourplay - Fourplay

Old 05-03-2011, 12:37 PM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Just wanted to drop a post here. I have acquired quite the library in my 3 years of ownership. EBay is really the best place to snag these. I have a saved search & get a report every morning of newly listed discs. I love the format so much that I recently bought a Oppo 93 player for the home (plays DVD-A & SACD).
I saw a few posts back a discussion on Pink Floyd. The good news is Dark Side of the Moon was released on SACD & someone converted it to DVD-A. I have the ISO file & it does sound impressive in the TL. PM me if interested & maybe I can find the time to burn a few.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by GeezerB
Just wanted to drop a post here. I have acquired quite the library in my 3 years of ownership. EBay is really the best place to snag these. I have a saved search & get a report every morning of newly listed discs. I love the format so much that I recently bought a Oppo 93 player for the home (plays DVD-A & SACD).
I saw a few posts back a discussion on Pink Floyd. The good news is Dark Side of the Moon was released on SACD & someone converted it to DVD-A. I have the ISO file & it does sound impressive in the TL. PM me if interested & maybe I can find the time to burn a few.
After seeing the post about the DVD-A's on eBay, I did some searching there... I see a lot of discs that I think may be "homemade" because I don't think all the artists made them... plus they are from eastern europe.

I picked up a couple to test.. Uriah Heep's best of and Gary Moore's disc.

I also picked up Steve Miller's Fly Like An Eagle (DVD-A/DTS) but i think it's screwed up or badly made.. I only hear sound from the front and rear left
Old 05-15-2011, 06:32 AM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 497 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by GeezerB
The DVD-A is NOT the same mix as the SACD. (It's better!)

The DVD-A was sourced from the original 1973 Quadraphonic Master Tape mixed by Alan Parsons. The SACD is a new 2004 mix by James Guthrie. These are very different.

For those interested, both mixes will be available on upcoming Pink Floyd box sets that will be out later in the year, as well as both surround mixes of "Wish You Were Here". Unfortunately, they will NOT be on DVD-A, but on Blu-Ray and SACD.

Bummer
Old 05-15-2011, 02:47 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Speaking of DVD-Audio discs, and Pink Floyd, using the various tutorials from Adobeman on here, I was able to make a working and true 5.1 DVD-Audio disc for my 05TL using my Pink Floyd Pulse concert DVD. DVD Audio Extractor and Cirlinca's DVD Audio-Solo are well worth the money so you can play your concert DVDs in your TL. Other's in my collection (some are DTS): Fleetwood Mac- Rumours, Metcallica- Black, Faith Hill- Cry, Boyz II Men, Hootie and Blowfish- Cracked Rear View, Bon Jovi- Slippery When Wet, Eagles- Hotel California (DVD-A and the DTS concert version...the former is much better), Beatles- Love, Pink Floyd- DSOTM, Pink Floyd- Pulse Concert from London, and a Beethoven DVD-A. You can also get some free samples at SACDLAB.com.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
DTS discs do play in surround sound.
This may sound like a stupid question but I tried finding the info in the manual and couldn't locate it....mind you I just got the car a few days ago so I may have to dig even deeper in the manual.

Question: When playing a DVD-Audio that is in DTS, anything I need to do to benefit from thi splayback format or the system plays it automatically?
Additionally, I saw the little DTS logo decal on the stereo but is there a little DTS light that should light up the the playback is played in DTS?

Thanks in advance
Old 06-12-2011, 09:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
It's all done automatically.

On my 2011 TSX it will say DTS-CD where it will otherwise say AM/FM/XM/CD for example.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:11 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 497 Likes on 230 Posts
The Acura will always play the 5.1 DVD-Audio tracks as a default. You don't need the DTS tracks played in the car on a DVD-A, because they are inferior in sound content. They are on the disc to make them compatible with DVD players that do not read the AUDIO_TS folder on the disc (the DVD-Audio portion)

I haven't figured out how to change groups in the TSX wagon, but in the TL's there is a way to switch between DVD groups on a DVD-A so you could chose the DVD-A, the DTS, or the stereo tracks if you like.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Originally Posted by oblio98
The Acura will always play the 5.1 DVD-Audio tracks as a default. You don't need the DTS tracks played in the car on a DVD-A, because they are inferior in sound content. They are on the disc to make them compatible with DVD players that do not read the AUDIO_TS folder on the disc (the DVD-Audio portion)

I haven't figured out how to change groups in the TSX wagon, but in the TL's there is a way to switch between DVD groups on a DVD-A so you could chose the DVD-A, the DTS, or the stereo tracks if you like.
...and how do you that? When I played my DVD-Audio, it showed DVD-A on the display but not sure how I can get to select DTS? I was under the impression that DTS was providing a better quality sound. It may or may not be the case but if there is such an option for playback, I'd like to know how to do it.

I am confused because Ken (moderator) just said its all done automatically.

Thanks to both for answering....I just trying to get the best of the ELS system.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:43 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Weather, DTS is the company and the process used to put together the 5.1 surround sound effect. My home stereo has a button that allows you to choose between Dolby Digital or DTS. Since the DVD Audio disc is processed possibly, the ELS System knows that and you hear the benefit thereof, because of that processing.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:51 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by weather
This may sound like a stupid question but I tried finding the info in the manual and couldn't locate it....mind you I just got the car a few days ago so I may have to dig even deeper in the manual.

Question: When playing a DVD-Audio that is in DTS, anything I need to do to benefit from thi splayback format or the system plays it automatically?
Additionally, I saw the little DTS logo decal on the stereo but is there a little DTS light that should light up the the playback is played in DTS?

Thanks in advance
Okey... listen...

DTS cannot exist on a DVD-Audio content, as someone said, it's on the DVD-Video content for the ones that do not have a dvd-audio player.

In fact, DTS is better quality than Dolby, DTS can do 24 bit 96 khz and dolby can only do 24bit 48khz, that's why it's better, but it's not better than DVD-Audio because even DTS is compressed (like an MP3 of 480 kbps (very high quality but still compressed) and DVDAudio is lossless.

DTS logo on the stereo means it's capable of playing DTS-CD's, there are a few of them, and in deed the display shows DTS when playing one of these discs, it's one bit lower quality than Standard CD! but it's true 5.1, not like the Dolby prologic II attempt to guess the front and the rear channels out of a stereo source.

When you are playing a DVDA it will only show "DVDA", unfortunately you cannot know how many channels it's playing, some DVDA's have different Groups with different mixes (5.1, 2.0), as a standard always the Group 1 is the 5.1 mix and the acura will always start playing Group1 so, dont worry about that, you may worry when your disc has bonus tracks on other groups like Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road - Group 4 - Track 4: Candle in the Wind (Acoustic Version)

To change groups in a 3rd gen TL just press SCN and RPT (the first two from left to right) at the same time for 2 seconds.

Are we clear? If you need any more help, just ask.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:20 PM
ELS
2nd Gear

good information exchange on dvd-a and the ELS Surround system. if you feel like sharing we get quite a few contributions about dvd-a on our facebook and website as well. http://www.facebook.com/pages/ELS-Su...o/172882670311
Old 07-14-2011, 11:18 PM
Rowing my own

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Just picked up Santana, Metallica and The Who

Also going to see if I can figure out how to take the audio files from a concert DVD, to FLAC, then make them playable in the car, which may have to wait a few months since I don't pick it up till Sept, we'll just call this early planning.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:41 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Originally Posted by ELS
good information exchange on dvd-a and the ELS Surround system. if you feel like sharing we get quite a few contributions about dvd-a on our facebook and website as well. http://www.facebook.com/pages/ELS-Su...o/172882670311

Elliot, is that you?
Old 07-16-2011, 06:43 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Elliot, is that you?
Somehow, I don't think so.. though it would be nice if it was
Old 11-21-2012, 04:38 AM
Irish_Viking

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Has anyone found a "how to" to create a DVD-A from a concert DVD?