Delphi Car Connect -- 4G LTE Remote Start??

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 01:03 AM
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts
Delphi Car Connect -- 4G LTE Remote Start??

Has anyone read up on it? http://www.delphiconnect.com/

It seems like it's along the lines of Viper SmartStart or Drone Mobile, but way more bad-ass. You can do text alerts for geo-fencing, overspeed, live tracking in cases of theft, etc. It'll give you vitals on the car (i.e. battery voltage, engine temp, etc), and translate any code you're throwing. Bunch of other features I'm forgetting, but demo'd in the video at the bottom. Just a simple plug-and-play for OBDII, and a $5/month subscription.

What interests me is the remote start function on the Virtual Key Fob. It says the Fob function (As a whole...lock, unlock, trunk, etc) works if your vehicle supports this...whatever that means. There's a compatibility guide, and while it says it should be compatible as it is an OEM keyless system, it doesn't specifically mention the remote start feature directly when I looked it up for the 2012 SH-AWD Tech. Here's the thing I thought when I first started it...maybe you need a remote start unit already installed for the feature to work on Delphi's system, since it says it only replaces your current Fob. That wouldn't make sense though, since the website says it only works with OEM systems. Confused.

From Delphiconnect.com...no mention specifically of remote start, but that function is part of the Key Fob.
I have an aftermarket keyless entry system. Will this affect the key fob function on my phone?

The Delphi Connect system is currently only designed to operate factory (OEM) remote keyless entry systems. You will not be able to activate the Key fob function with your aftermarket remote keyless entry system.
The 2014 CES video demo shows some features being grayed out on the two smartphones the demo'er is using...on one, the remote start is grayed out, on the other, it seems lit up. The demo'er said that the system knows which features is has available to it, and grays them out accordingly. As for the site saying Remote Start works if your car "supports this"...I'm hoping that this just meant that if you need a physical key to start your car, this feature won't work, since remote starts on vehicles with actual keys need to physically electronically bypass the key-start. If you have push-to-start (as the Tech does)...is it too much to hope the Remote Start feature would work?? As far as I know, since Push-to-start is 100% electronic, and since the signal is routed straight through the OBDII port, there would be nothing stopping an authorized connected OBDII device from sending a signal to the engine to start up on a push-to-start SH-AWD Tech...right?

Man...for a $100 for the plug-in hardware ($150 for the version that lets you use it as a hot spot), $5/month, and already being on a compatible Verizon shared plan, I'm already in just for the other features. All that in a package that you can just yank out when you upgrade to another car. If it gives me OTA remote start (with direct Bluetooth backup for any zany scenario where I'm outside of coverage), I'll buy a crate of them.

Video demo here
http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/08/d...ands-on-video/

Last edited by 121traffic; 01-14-2014 at 01:17 AM.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:13 AM
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts
Disregard. Not compatible with SH-AWD Tech fob anyway....