Daylight running lights LED

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2014 | 12:17 AM
Advanced

Daylight running lights LED

What do you guys think about these?

http://store.ijdmtoy.com/9005-LED-Da...a-p/90-002.htm

I don't like the yellow color that we have on the lights. btw, how do I turn them off?

Do you guys/gals have any other suggestions as to which other LED daylight running lights to get and install?

Thanks
Old 05-09-2014 | 01:19 PM
Burning Brakes

These might give you the color you're looking for, but I'd be curious about how much light they actually throw. A nice white color won't help much while you're plowing into a deer going down the highway.
Old 05-09-2014 | 01:54 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by mazymus
btw, how do I turn them off?
Just pull the fuse shown below. You'll lose the DRL's but still be able to use the high beams.

The following users liked this post:
mazymus (05-09-2014)
Old 05-09-2014 | 09:18 PM
Cruisin'

Im also having a hard time picking what led DRL to go with i hate the factory color.
Old 05-09-2014 | 11:48 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ucf_bronco
Just pull the fuse shown below. You'll lose the DRL's but still be able to use the high beams.

thanks man, i'll do that if i can't find any nice LED's.

This is just for daytime lights anyways, so not sure if I have to worry this at tonight. The headlight will not be affected. I think the whole point of the daylight is to make you (TL) more visible to other cars anyways.

Thanks again

If you guys know of any other good LED's lamp replacement, or any add on LED's, please let us know.

Also, any good place to buy them?
Old 05-11-2014 | 05:22 PM
Advanced

How about those audi type stripe LED's for our cars?
Old 05-11-2014 | 09:14 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by sockpuppet
These might give you the color you're looking for, but I'd be curious about how much light they actually throw. A nice white color won't help much while you're plowing into a deer going down the highway.

That's actually a good point. Maybe I can just disable the daylight running light and have the safety of better high beam when needed
Old 05-13-2014 | 09:17 AM
Advanced

ordered mine. will post once i get it installed. i'll also check out the high beam vs the two and see how much less is it. if it's drastically less strong high beam, this thing will go back
Old 05-13-2014 | 09:20 AM
rock the block

Just ordered and installed that exact product over the weekend, very happy with mine. Almost no actual light output, same as the yellows, just a nice color to run around town with during the day. Install took 20 mins, well worth it imo.
Old 05-13-2014 | 11:26 AM
2011 SH-AWD TECH PM

ordered mine. will post once i get it installed. i'll also check out the high beam vs the two and see how much less is it. if it's drastically less strong high beam, this thing will go back

As DRL's these are great, as highbeams no way. If you need your highbeams for where you live and use them often then save your time and money. I have these as DRL's and have HID's in my fogs so I have a good amount of light at night. You can still use the highbeam function for flash to pass but it won't help with visibility.
Old 05-14-2014 | 10:39 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Sdot
As DRL's these are great, as highbeams no way. If you need your highbeams for where you live and use them often then save your time and money. I have these as DRL's and have HID's in my fogs so I have a good amount of light at night. You can still use the highbeam function for flash to pass but it won't help with visibility.

Good to know. I rarely use my high beams, but like to have that if needed.. I have the fog lights but not sure if it has the HID's.. Did you put them in yourself?
Old 05-15-2014 | 12:37 AM
Pro

Good to know. I rarely use my high beams, but like to have that if needed.. I have the fog lights but not sure if it has the HID's.. Did you put them in yourself?
The Fogs aren't HID by stock. You have to install them yourself.
Old 05-15-2014 | 08:36 AM
2011 SH-AWD TECH PM

Yep, didn't take much time to do. Maybe and hour and change and I'm no mechanic. Just used the DIY thread on here for it.
Old 05-15-2014 | 11:51 PM
Advanced

just go them. will try to change it in a few days. i'll look into the HIDs for the fog light. top of your head, any idea how much it'll put me back to the HID's for the fog?

Also, I assume I have to find HID's that would match the daylight and night light colors (obviously don't have to but would be nice.) did yours match the new daylights?
Old 05-16-2014 | 07:59 AM
2011 SH-AWD TECH PM

just go them. will try to change it in a few days. i'll look into the HIDs for the fog light. top of your head, any idea how much it'll put me back to the HID's for the fog?

Also, I assume I have to find HID's that would match the daylight and night light colors (obviously don't have to but would be nice.) did yours match the new daylights?
I opted for the 3000k fogs which are yellow, I personally like that look but I believe the factory headlight color is 4300k. The DRL's and the headlights don't match but they arent on at the same time, they have a slight bluish tint.

I got my kit from DDMtuning. Some people love/hate them. I've used them on 5 different cars and only had one bulb fail on me but that was due to moisture in the headlight housing I think. If I remember right I got the 35w kit for about $45 shipped.

Here's a pic of my DRL's and switchbacks on together..

mazymus (05-16-2014)
Old 05-16-2014 | 11:04 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Sdot
I opted for the 3000k fogs which are yellow, I personally like that look but I believe the factory headlight color is 4300k. The DRL's and the headlights don't match but they arent on at the same time, they have a slight bluish tint.

I got my kit from DDMtuning. Some people love/hate them. I've used them on 5 different cars and only had one bulb fail on me but that was due to moisture in the headlight housing I think. If I remember right I got the 35w kit for about $45 shipped.

Here's a pic of my DRL's and switchbacks on together..

Thanks for the pic. that looks super slick and clean.

Do you feel that having your fog lights on at night would supplement not having true high beams with the new DL? I'm starting to have second doubts re need to have good high beams. I really do like how clean those look though.

are your switchback lights aftermarket too?
Old 05-16-2014 | 11:23 PM
2011 SH-AWD TECH PM

Thanks for the pic. that looks super slick and clean.

Do you feel that having your fog lights on at night would supplement not having true high beams with the new DL? I'm starting to have second doubts re need to have good high beams. I really do like how clean those look though.

are your switchback lights aftermarket too?
To be totally honest if you need high-beams at night I wouldn't get these LED DRL's. They just look pretty, no real performance out of them. I'd do like others mentioned and just pull the DRL fuse and you'll still have functioning high-beams.

The switchbacks on the other hand are great, I also got those from iJDM. You have to wire in some resistors but not bad at all. There's also a nice DIY write up on that on here as well.
mazymus (05-17-2014)
Old 05-18-2014 | 11:28 PM
Advanced

silly question. where exactly is the interior dash fuse box?
Old 05-19-2014 | 10:49 PM
Advanced

Actually never mind, found it and removed the fuse.
Old 05-19-2014 | 11:05 PM
Advanced

well, i've decided to return them since it's much more important for me to have safe high beam at night as opposed to having white daylights (although they do look pretty sweet.) i'll just pulled the fuse and turning the daytime lights off. i didn't even install the new bulbs yet but from what i'm hearning, the high beam from the LED's will be pretty weak so I'll save myself the hassle.

thanks everyone
Old 05-26-2014 | 09:14 AM
Pro

Yea thats one of the First mod I did on my car. I love it to. I always get ask where I get my DRL from.
Old 05-30-2014 | 12:42 PM
4th Gear

I'm looking for some inline LEDs....

That many of the new cars have. Seems like the slot in the headlight cover (at the bottom) would be a great place for them. Anybody see or tried this?
Old 08-21-2014 | 08:41 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by lift3d_
Just ordered and installed that exact product over the weekend, very happy with mine. Almost no actual light output, same as the yellows, just a nice color to run around town with during the day. Install took 20 mins, well worth it imo.
think i might purchase these but would like your thoughts on it. would you still recommend these today?
Old 08-22-2014 | 09:27 AM
rock the block

Originally Posted by JTL12
think i might purchase these but would like your thoughts on it. would you still recommend these today?
absolutely, I get a lot of compliments on them and i've had no issues so far. I was checking out the resistors that are loaded into the circuit the other day, no problems with them either.
Old 08-22-2014 | 12:00 PM
Instructor

Had em for a while (installed by some guys in Alhambra, CA). They looked cool (pun intended) but yeah your high beams go away. After a year or so they developed a flicker (probably faulty wiring in the relay harnesses they installed) so when I couldn't resolve it I just went back to the standard DRLs. Recently visited a friend up in the Malibu canyons area and was I so glad I had my high beams back!

So bottom line, while I miss the coolness factor of bright white LEDs, I'm glad to have my high beams back. Ultimately I've gotten over the LED envy of Audi and the halo eyes of the BMW. Have a friend who is getting seriously into car mods, and if he and his buddies ever figure out how to create modified headlight assemblies for TLs with either the LED strip look of an Audi, or the halo eyes of a BMW, I'll pay whatever price they're asking for (within reason). But not sure that's ever going to happen...
Old 08-22-2014 | 12:38 PM
rock the block

Originally Posted by FirstTL12
Had em for a while (installed by some guys in Alhambra, CA). They looked cool (pun intended) but yeah your high beams go away. After a year or so they developed a flicker (probably faulty wiring in the relay harnesses they installed) so when I couldn't resolve it I just went back to the standard DRLs. Recently visited a friend up in the Malibu canyons area and was I so glad I had my high beams back!

So bottom line, while I miss the coolness factor of bright white LEDs, I'm glad to have my high beams back. Ultimately I've gotten over the LED envy of Audi and the halo eyes of the BMW. Have a friend who is getting seriously into car mods, and if he and his buddies ever figure out how to create modified headlight assemblies for TLs with either the LED strip look of an Audi, or the halo eyes of a BMW, I'll pay whatever price they're asking for (within reason). But not sure that's ever going to happen...
i've heard mixed feedback on the flickering issues, some have it some don't. you get what you pay for with LED towers, so I'm keeping an eye on mine and haven't had any issues.

Have you looked at HID DRLs? you can still achieve the 6000k look (coolness factor as you put it) and maintain the highbeam functionality.
Old 08-22-2014 | 01:32 PM
6G TLX-S

^^^^^

Can you also run the HID DRL at reduced power (and brightness) as for the DRL usage ?

The DRL is running the high-beam headlight at reduced power, so as not to blind the oncoming traffic.
Old 08-22-2014 | 02:09 PM
rock the block

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
^^^^^

Can you also run the HID DRL at reduced power (and brightness) as for the DRL usage ?

The DRL is running the high-beam headlight at reduced power, so as not to blind the oncoming traffic.
I`m sorry, I don`t actually know the answer to that. I poked around a bit on Google and couldn`t find a clear answer. I`d suggested contacting the CS at TRS (they have been very helpful thusfar) and inquiring on that.