09 tl nav disc....

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 09:13 AM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
09 tl nav disc....

can someone with an 09 nav look at their disc and tell me what version and color the disc is....thanks
Old 12-11-2008, 11:07 AM
B A N N E D

Location: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by vinnier6
can someone with an 09 nav look at their disc and tell me what version and color the disc is....thanks
I might be wrong but I think the 09 TL does not have a nav disk its all stored on its hard drive@
Old 12-11-2008, 11:25 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yep, no disk, hard drive based and the version # has change. I looked it up on my Nav diag screen and it's a # that no longer correlates to the old versions.
Old 12-11-2008, 03:52 PM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Updates can still be obtained but I think my dealer said they do them for you at the shop
Old 12-11-2008, 04:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Man I have no idea what he's asking here. If you want a direct answer, ask a direct question. Disc is media, disk is hard drive. We gotta start somewhere with all the miss used terms. I thought he was asking about the bottom of the Demo disc, and what color that is?
Old 12-11-2008, 04:22 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
Updates can still be obtained but I think my dealer said they do them for you at the shop
I thought you could download updates & do it yourself with a USB flash drive. Maybe someday.
Old 12-11-2008, 04:28 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Wavehogger
yep, no disk, hard drive based and the version # has change. I looked it up on my Nav diag screen and it's a # that no longer correlates to the old versions.
lol oops, was in a hurry, I should have said no 'disc', not 'disk'. And when the updates come out you will be able to purchase them from www.acuranavi.com. The dealer said you'll just put the update disc into the cd player just as you update other Acura vehicles now, and it will download it to the hard drive and update it. So i'm told... I make no promises..
Old 12-11-2008, 04:53 PM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by bmode
Man I have no idea what he's asking here. If you want a direct answer, ask a direct question. Disc is media, disk is hard drive. We gotta start somewhere with all the miss used terms. I thought he was asking about the bottom of the Demo disc, and what color that is?
are you serious....i dont know what car you are driving, but previous model years nav had a disc that went into a seperate disc drive in the trunk and it could be replaced with a newer updated version....

from what these guys are saying there is no disc for the 09 car its on the hard drive...

just because you didnt understand the question doesnt mean i dont know how to ask one....
Old 12-11-2008, 05:03 PM
Racer

Vinnier6 I think you already understand what I am about to say but to be more detailed for everyone;

I should have been even more clear, before the 09 TL you would insert it into the seperate CD drive just for the Navi to update and leave it in to operate.

In the 09 TL you will insert the future update disc into the cd player, because there is no seperate CD drive now for the Navi, with the hard drive holding the data, and it will update and you will remove the cd.
Old 12-11-2008, 05:10 PM
Go Big Blue!

All seem like reasonable possibilities. I'd be curious to know if this is written somewhere or we're all just speculating. Anyone see authoritative info on this subject from Acura?

Thanks for rasing the issue vinnier6, eventhough you got beat up a bit for it - which I don't understand why
Old 12-11-2008, 05:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

Vinnie you need help. If your posting for help, you must be clear on what your trying to achieve? Acronyms and missed used terms will not get you to where you want to be? We all need to be very clear on terms and descriptions. What's a Nav disc? I've never had a Nav disc before? To me that means there is a disc for the Navigation system? A disk is a HD. You're assuming quite a bit. The other members who posted the popular "I think" are not helping us at all...:-)

Last edited by bmode; 12-11-2008 at 05:16 PM.
Old 12-11-2008, 05:25 PM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by bmode
Vinnie you need help. If your posting for help, you must be clear on what your trying to achieve? Acronyms and missed used terms will not get you to where you want to be? We all need to be very clear on terms and descriptions. What's a Nav disc? I've never had a Nav disc before? To me that means there is a disc for the Navigation system? A disk is a HD. You're assuming quite a bit. The other members who posted the popular "I think" are not helping us at all...:-)
You sound like you need a drink. The guy didn't do anything wrong. We all knew what he meant. Relax
Old 12-11-2008, 05:28 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
All seem like reasonable possibilities. I'd be curious to know if this is written somewhere or we're all just speculating. Anyone see authoritative info on this subject from Acura?

Thanks for rasing the issue vinnier6, eventhough you got beat up a bit for it - which I don't understand why
It is written in the 09 TL owners manual
Old 12-11-2008, 05:33 PM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by Wavehogger
It is written in the 09 TL owners manual
Great! I'll accept that answer. Thanks Wavehogger.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

Alright, I'm an A-hole, but get past that for now so we can move on, but I'd still like to know what we're talking about? I'm envious to the fact that you get it, but I don't? What is a Nav disc? My last TL did not have a Navigation system? Someone break it down for the idiot(me) over here? To convey my sentiment, I'm not being hostile or sarcastic, I really don't know what your talking about? Help please.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:35 PM
Go Big Blue!

LOL. Ok, since you said it that way then here's the scoop.

In past years (and on all other Acura's) the nav system data and software is stored on a DVD in the trunk. The system is upgraded by simply buying and inserting a new DVD. The DVD stays in the DVD drive permanently.

The 09 TL is HDD based. The OP was asking how you would update these new systems. Wavehogger seemed to know the answer. We will still buy a DVD, but now load the hard drive one time by inserting it in the main DVD drive in the dash. I suppose you can store the DVD for future reloading if necessary.

Hope that lays it out

Last edited by SpicyMikey; 12-11-2008 at 06:39 PM.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Yeah I think I got it now, so future firmware updates will be done through the disc drive and will update the entire Navigation system. The hell if I'm paying for that by the way! I was all up in the Kool aid and didn't know the flavor, but most posters assume quite and bit and leave out important information. Thanks for posting that Mike. What's "OP" by the way? Is that other person?
Old 12-11-2008, 07:34 PM
Go Big Blue!

Glad I could clear it up for you.

OP = Original Poster of the thread