Yet Another MSM Car Mag Worships The 3 And Trashes The TL

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 07:32 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 846 Likes on 526 Posts
come on guys....no more pissing contest...lol...

As I said in my other post, I actually think the article was not that bad. I really don't find it to be very negative when it's talking about the TL. It loses a lot of points in the "gotta have it" category and there's another category beside it that is also subjective. If I recall correctly, those two categories worth quite a bit of marks. Then the ergonomics, you know, the typical comment about the button layout, which I find to be quite simple to use. The article even says the buttons are easy to figure out, so it makes me wonder why it receives the lowest mark in that category. I think they meant to say that the design is not too nice because there are too many buttons. This IMO is a subjective thing, and should be rated under another category.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:36 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
Like Bears post, the article makes great points but is fairly unrealistic considering what Iforyou has brought to the table, unless they are giving away TL's and I don't know about it.

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 05-11-2009 at 07:38 PM.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,600 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Don't really see what is unrealistic about it, its just a simple gut check test.

Anyone who is honest with themselves will know in their heart of hearts at the end of the day that most of the BMW 3's would be taken & most of the TL's would be left behind. In my case if both the TL & BMW-3 are at the end of the driveway the key will go into the BMW 9 out of 10 times. The TL is a very nice competent car. I am glad I bought it but to me its not one of those special ones that I will remember long after its gone.

Its the "gotta have it factor", that indefinable thing that in many cases defies logic that's is called Tier I - in other words why people are willing to pay more for one car then another even if the cheaper car is bigger & has a few more electronic toys.

One thing that I do find funny is how the guys here find these "car rags" are only good for bathroom reading except for the ones that had favorable comments about the TL, in those cases the writer is obviously brilliant & his words need to be repeated here.

Nobody cares what they say, but then no one can pass up the chance to post to the board those with glowing TL accolades.

All these writers are doing is posting hard data where they can - speed, weight, HP, etc & subjective opinion based on there personal basis, likes & dislikes.

In reading the reports where the TL comes up short its in performance & these are performance oriented car guy magazines. Many of the newspaper articles that were favorable seemed to be weighted more toward creature comforts & found the TL to be quick enough for their tastes.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:39 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Two things along these lines.

Patrick Bedard who wrote the test report was a team driver for Jaguar factory racing & also drove in at least two Indy 500's. He may not be the greatest driver in the world but he is better then anyone in this thread.

Second, if you put 50 TL's & 50 BMW 3 series on a lot. Let 50 people take & keep any car they want. At the end of the day how many TL's will be left?
328 or 335? And if it's the 335, am I allowed to sell it and get $45k?
Old 05-11-2009, 11:58 PM
Drifting

You forget the part where in real life people actaully have to go and purchase one and as you know the same random 50 people probably don't have the money to buy one, and if maybe 5 of them did, are they aware of what the TL and others are offering for less than a fully equipped 328i? Will it be their everyday driver or weekend vehicle? Will it see long winters and snow? Strict personal use, or will size be a factor?, etc.

I will never mistaken naiveness, approval seeking insecurity, stature, or low levels of power steering and plenty of negative tire camber as Teir 1 or "gotta have it factor". You know what is my "gotta have it factor", the same damn thing for $20k less. You are right that it is illogical, sort of this undefinable superficial mystique that people put an actual dollar value on, it's crazy, kinda like faith or a belief in relation to religion, except I would give that extra money to the church rather than BMW or MB. Ok, I'm being harsh, this is not fair, I would only spend the money on an S, 7, M, or AMG, or similar, everything else is an insult to my intelligence at those prices, and if I want something else that Acura doesn't exactly offer in the lower segment range, I will buy an Infiniti.

And no matter how qualified he may be at something, you must also realize that at the end of the day Mr. Bedard doesn't own the publication and it's a job that he gets paid to do and if he wants to get paid like any other job he must make someone, somewhere, somehow some kind of money, and in order to do that, he must still do what his boss tells him and also just exactly how to do it.

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 05-12-2009 at 12:00 AM.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:56 AM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
BTW, i see plenty of Acura advertisements in these magazines...so, Acura is doing their fair share of contribution to these rag mags. I agree with BEAR...you guys praise how accurate a review is when it is all glory for the TL, then bash how unfair and corrupt a review is when it puts the TL in a negative light. How are you guys not seeing this profound bias???

Winstrolvtec, you mentioned that BMW and MB owners are "naive, approval seeking insecurity, blah, blah"...yet, you do not see what you have said in this (and the other) thread as being very much of what you just described!

You stated that Acura is the last of the car manufacturer that is honest and only care about their core customers. Are you serious? How long did Acura deny the transmission issue to their "core" customers?? And i have noticed that Acura has seriously upped their advertisements in magazines the past few years...so, they have paid into the system as well.

Could it be that some Acura owners buy Acura because they want to feel superior too?? Maybe they could have done just as good by buying a Honda or a Toyota, but wanted the approval seeking insecurity of having an Acura?? Hell, in this very thread, YOU have mentioned how somone cannot afford a TL SHAWD and how "prosper" you are for being able to pay a loan on your car. How is this not being snobish?????? It is cool that you have "finally" reach a level to be able to pay a loan to buy an Acura, but trust me, you are not the first nor the last person on this planet able to do this feat!

Isn't overboosted artificial feeling steering equally as bad as low levels of power steering??

Or how about cheap paint?? Is that good also? Or is that part of the "I have an Acura, and i don't care because i don't seek your approval" thing??!!

Honestly, have you OWNED (not a 5 min testdrive) a BMW or a MB before?? It seems like the Acura TL that you have is the first "big purchase" of your life. There are more things to love in a car than just what is written in a brochure.

BTW, some of us MB owners (e.g. me) don't buy cars for status or approval either...so, i would get off your high horse.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:03 AM
Racer

Or how about leather that creases just by looking at it?? You should make a sticker, "It's an Acura thing, you wouldn't understand it!"

Some of us owned many brands out there...it ain't a bad thing to appreciate the different brands for their "flavor."
Old 05-12-2009, 06:06 AM
Drifting

All due respect, you don't know me so don't act like it, this is my 2nd 3G TL, that's how much of an advocate I am for the car. It's not about finally being able to afford anything or weather or not someone needs to be qualified to make such judgements, it would be easy for you to make it appear to be the case, most people on this board are smarter than you give them credit for, that's smobbish. While I have done nothing but try to stick to the topic and keep it my opinions in accordance to facts, I have been called out personally for accusation of not knowing the difference becuase I can't afford one, then I defend myself while stating I didn't want it to go there for this exact reason and it goes there anyway, don't you see that? or maybe you think you are just slick and can use it?

Point is we come here to get the real scoop on this car, not what a magazine says, real experiences that include problems, benefits, performance, etc., but don't think for a minute we don't also consider the bad stuff as well, that is much more important to me when I consider a possible new purchase, wouldn't you agree? Now I'm not saying that other people don't come here without a true purpose but it would seem that at times it's just to discredit the TL, going against many of the owners and people who actually know more about the car than you. As a result they develop a greater enthusiasm for it's fitment to their lifestyle and needs, agianst others who appraoch it as just another car, but it doesn't mean we are necessarily biased, maybe but strongly opinionated, yes, and don't forget that bias goes the other way too. God forbid, there should be any Acura bias on the Acura forum.

You talk about the tranny this and tranny that, but the fact is every car company has a f'up that they don't want to readily admit, but if you know the Acura case most of it had to do with misuse. The steering is a matter or preference just as the whole car is, my TLS steering doesn't suffer from either, it's a perfect blend by both measures, and it should be the case with the upcoming 6MT, I can make this assumption cause I own one. Have you owned a TLS or 3G, or own an 09 TL?, to fairly make the same argument you do. We are not the only brand forum to make those claims against the magazines, you know, take a look around. I guess the majority is wrong and the few precious are just special. I am in the MB and BMW that I mention several days out of the week and have driven both to the extent of being able to say I have practically owned those cars for about a month each, these guys and myself included have also owned some pretty varied and popular car makes and models over the years, so we know the strong and weak suites of a lot of cars, but I will not say that I am any more qualified to form a valid opinion if someone doesn't have the same experiences or less just cause someone has more, nor anyone else for that matter.

The problems you mention as being cheaply manufactured are not free from any vehicle. Soft, sutble, leather does crease, the sandpaper feel material you call leather on the other hand won't. Cheap paint, as if all german products come perfectly painted with no defects, maybe you got lucky, but do check in with you dealer cause you never know, and do they still have that problem of not painting all their exterior panels and parts? What is up with those large seem bodyline gaps on the Mercedes? How about poor elctronics and a dead battery for every day the car is not started, outdated tech, etc., anyone can play this game, but it's piontless, bottom line for the money they are not free of their own issues, but in one it's expected, but shouldn't be the case for the other.

The bottom line is that every kind of car and make will give you something different. My point that you have amazingly missed is how that all relates to price. It seems you keep coming back becuase you of what, your wife's TSX?, ya ok, it's a TL forum on a message board for the 4G, I have a feeling it's to justify the value you put on the MB purchse you made and didn't make by not getting the C class your wife wanted, but that's none of my business, just the same. I get it, you don't want anyone to knock you off your high horse with the MB emblem stuck up it's ass, but who am I to say, afterall I only own a fancy Accord.

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 05-12-2009 at 06:09 AM.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:33 AM
Racer

I am confused...do you have a 4G TL??? I thought that you have one already...and that you are making monthly payments ($700) as we speak??? So, you don't have a 4G TL? Instead you have a 3G TL? If not, then WTF are you talking down to another member about not being able to afford the 4G TL??!! Are you still making payments on your 3G TL? And you "joke" around about my cars being "old"?? Did you just talk yourself out of this thread??

I may not know you, but plenty of people see your arrogant attitude against another member.

Oh yeah, since you don't own a 4G TL, i think that we are on equal footing in this forum with our knowledge. And if you care to search, i have posted plenty of "wows" about the 4G TL's NAVI and stereo system...yes, even defending the TL!

Real life problem & benefits? So, you get how a MB or BMW performs by cursing it out on an Acura forum??? Really? Why trust a 3rd party when you can get all the plus and minus of a vehicle on this forum, right?!

So, the tranny issue is from misuse?? Come on, are you freaking kidding me?! READ UP ON THE ISSUE. It is NOT from misuse...are you really this blind?! My wife's father (in his 60s) blew his tranny at 70k miles..and lets just say that he ain't a stoplight racer! The replacement tranny is getting "rough" at 105k miles.

I am confused...so, when you get a 6MT, your steering gets better???? That is news to me! Do you realize that the 4G steering is NOT the same physically or mechanically as your 3G??? I can tell you that there is NO difference b/w TSX steering between MT and AT...and that is with the new electric steering unit. How can you make an assumption on a system that you do NOT have???

Ahhh, so Acura must use the highest quality leather, right?? Hey, this means that my Sienna's leather is of equally high quality leather too! Oh no, those Lexus LS semi-aniline or my MB G-wagen full-thickness leather must be crap because they don't crease with age and wear! Damn those hides! Oh yeah, and those real wood panels must be a lot cheaper than those fake plastic you call "aluminum" or "wood" (in other Acura models).

Actually, my wife wanted either the TSX or Camry V6 XLE. She doesn't like the C-class ride. We chose the TSX for the HIDS and safety ratings. And when did i claim that the C-class was any good????? I even stated that i was/am disappointed with the C-class (at least the C300, never drove the C350). Which part of this discussion did you not understand???

Last edited by Tigmd99; 05-12-2009 at 06:38 AM.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:42 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by winstrolvtec
I get it, you don't want anyone to knock you off your high horse with the MB emblem stuck up it's ass, but who am I to say, afterall I only own a fancy Accord.
I would even go farther to say that i would be hesitant to recommend any MB cars or unibodied SUV. However, at the same time, i would not go as far to say that Acura vehicles are better than them, regardless of price or class. That would be ignorant of me to say.

(BTW, my G-wagen is not included in the list above for obvious reasons.)
Old 05-12-2009, 02:04 PM
Drifting

Tig, actually I don't talk down unless someone does first, not like yourself, good , I'm glad we got that out of the way. You know the answer to the question of why I don't have a 4G, for the record, I am buying a 6MT when it becomes available in the fall, where have you been? I guess you also missed the part about not investing all your money into a depreciating asset, but it's a choice. My 3G TLS is a little over 2 years old, and it's the longst time I have owned any of my cars, again I am waiting on the 6MT.

I will definately take your word for the arrogant attitude part, you do know best about this subject, afterall.

What the hell are talking about? Real life problems and benefits of the "4G TL", I made my mind up about lower segments of BMW and MB a long time ago, and the only thing I am cruising is the 4G, that is until it arrives, and do you know of a better place?

Again you missed the point, every car brand has had an issue from time to time. Not every Acura tranny blew up you know, plenty of people didn't have the problem at all.

Yes the steering does improve with the maual model, since you don't own one let alone two 3G TL's you wouldn't know this. The 4G 6MT will have plenty of tweaks and mods that the auto doesn't, I do my homework, the difference is I actaully plan to buy one. Are you familar with the diffeence in feel from a base 3G to the TLS? Are you suggesting that 4G MT can't change cause the other setups are like that?

What don't you understand about price? In presenting value a line has to be drawn. I will pass cause $20k for real "processed" wood and a cow's raw ass for my seat won't do it. Are you aware that the 4G TL is comprised of mostly pure organic materials? More homework. Cheaper or not most prefer the softer leather, which of the two is often used in fine leather jackets?

And do you think that you would have been more satisfied with the C350, when you could have also spent that money on a TL? You already chose the Acura TSX over the C300. The FWD would have been more suitable for the ride, but I don't think your wife would have taken to well to the look, not many do, add one more reason to why a lot of 4G owners are a little deffensive.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:11 PM
Drifting

Well guys we are gonna have some more upset individuals, but the truth hurts.

Acura wins top value award and earns highest safety ratings

Acura Financial Services launched April 20, 2009
Acura has the highest expected resale value of any luxury brand
As the winner of the 2009 Automotive Leasing Guide (ALG) Residual Value Award for Overall Luxury Brand*, Acura vehicles have earned the distinction of having the highest expected resale value of any luxury brand. With such meticulous engineering, craftsmanship and forward-looking technology, it's little wonder that Acura vehicles are built to last—and that Acura was awarded the top prize.

The only brand to receive top safety ratings from IIHS and NHTSA across all models Acura is the first car company ever to receive Top Safety Pick designations from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) for every one of its vehicles. All five 2009 Acura models, both passenger cars and SUVs, earned "good"—the highest score possible—on frontal, side and rear crash tests. In addition, Acura is the only luxury brand to receive five-star crash test safety ratings from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)** for all of its models, as a result of the government's front and side impact tests.

But impact tests are only part of Acura's safety success story. Our myriad of advanced technologies help prevent collisions from ever happening, thanks to state-of-the-art features like Active Front Lighting System (AFS), Brake Assist, Electronic Brake Distribution, Vehicle Stability Assist™ (VSA®), and Collision Mitigation Braking System™ (CMBS™).

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 05-12-2009 at 02:13 PM.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:13 PM
Racer

I guess you also missed the part about not investing all your money into a depreciating asset, but it's a choice. My 3G TLS is a little over 2 years old, and it's the longst time I have owned any of my cars, again I am waiting on the 6MT.
Sorry to pick on you again, but the above quote makes absolutely no freaking sense!!
Old 05-12-2009, 02:16 PM
Racer

Well guys we are gonna have some more upset individuals, but the truth hurts.
But then again, Honda Fit used to be able to claim all of this too.........until they changed the test parameters and it failed miserably! Yes, we all use these ratings in our purchase decision...thus, we bought a TSX over a Camry. However, although these tests are cool and informative, you should always keep things in perspective in the back of your mind. These tests don't test everything that happens in the real world.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:19 PM
Drifting

These tests don't test everything that happens in the real world
Would you like to volunteer?
Old 05-12-2009, 02:21 PM
Drifting

Well guys we are gonna have some more upset individuals, but the truth hurts

Didn't I say it, huh, come on, I called it, right?
Old 05-12-2009, 02:25 PM
Racer

Not every Acura tranny blew up you know, plenty of people didn't have the problem at all.

Yes the steering does improve with the maual model,

I do my homework,

Are you aware that the 4G TL is comprised of mostly pure organic materials? More homework. Cheaper or not most prefer the softer leather, which of the two is often used in fine leather jackets?
Ahh, so you now have retracted your comment about tranny blowing up due to "misuse". Thank you because i know of several people personally who think that you are FOS for saying that! You are doing your homework, right?

Where does it say that the 6MT 4G TL will have better steering????? You did the homework...can you point me to an Acura/Honda link that states this??? How do you know so certain?? I am honestly curious.

Pure organic material?? What the hell does that mean?? Can you elaborate please?? Does the RL fake wood also "organic" too?? Is the fake aluminum "organic"?? I am not sure what you mean. Burl walnut wood panels are as organic as i can think of.

Ahhh, so you now compare Acura TL's leather to fine leather jackets?? Why not compare them to fine Italian furniture leather too while you're at it??!! Are you that naive to think that?! You want soft leather that lasts? Visit your Lexus dealership and look at "semi-aniline" leather option in the top models. Or you can stop by your local mercedes dealership and look at an old G-wagen leather and see just how soft and crease-free it is! But hey, these examples are definitely not as good as a $40k Acura because Acura leather is comparable to a fine leather jacket!! Dude, you need to get out more, but more importantly, get your nose out of Acura's ass!!
Old 05-12-2009, 02:27 PM
Racer

Would you like to volunteer?
Sure, would you like to be in your TL when i crash my G into you straight on?? I will crush you into a little ball.

Hint: see how a Honda Fit holds up to an Accord on IIHS website...it wasn't pretty! Imagine how your TL would hold up against a fullsize tank (aka G-wagen).
Old 05-12-2009, 02:52 PM
Drifting

The tests are based on the same segment basis. Not a freakin tank vs. Honda Fit. Your argument is fraud.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:02 PM
Drifting

Again you alluded my whole basis for argument, the product in relation to the price. You obviously have a vandetta against Acura, what gives?, did it abuse you as a little boy? Did everyones tranny go?, huh, did it? As far as I am concerned, I own an Acura, have had several, never a problem, like it for the same reasons the loyals bought one, and more impotantly my opinions join the many others here as being similar, so it is safe to say that like minded people come together to form this board, looks like you are outside just looking in.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:28 PM
Racer

Vendetta? I own a 2009 TSX. But, i also own other vehicles of other brands. So, i tend not to be blinded by one brand.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:37 PM
Drifting

It's not blinded when you look at my sole purpose for argument, again and again, product in relation to the price. I never said anything else was a bad product, just that I wouldn't spend the money where I didn't feel it was justified, and my opinion still stands, don't waste money on any low segment German product. Tig, you even know this much, hence the TSX you own. I do plan to own an M or AMG product when it's a more pratical time for me to do so. That's were I am at, I am not going to argue more that, you are not going to change my mind or vice versa, so just let it go, I am sure you as well as I have better things to do.

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 05-12-2009 at 03:40 PM.
Old 05-12-2009, 05:11 PM
Racer

Agreed...nothing personal on my end. I hope that you take it the same.

It was a good (heated at times) discussion.

Have a good day.
Old 05-12-2009, 05:14 PM
Drifting

No, it's cool, that goes without saying, with me, at least we spiced up the board a little.

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 05-12-2009 at 05:18 PM.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Now kiss and make up you two.