Why did you pick the TL SH-AWD over the G37Xs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 09:14 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
Why did you pick the TL SH-AWD over the G37Xs?

I am trying to decide between them but I really like both cars!!! They are nice in different ways, too:

Advantages of the TL SH-AWD:

1. Better interior design
2. More luxurious ride
3. More interior space
4. Better stereo system
5. Better AWD system

Advantages of the G37Xs:

1. Faster!!! Handles a bit better, but both are great
2. Sportier ride
3. Very nice sport seats
4. Exterior design less polarizing
5. Trunk space seems more usable

However, the current G sedan is probably due for a major model re-design in just over a year's time, so if I get it now it will look like an "old model" in no time.......

For those of you who cross-shopped both cars, I would very much like to know why you picked the TL over the G sedan in the end? Thanks so much!
Old 05-25-2010, 09:21 PM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm loyal! SHAWD is killer! My 2 !
Old 05-25-2010, 09:31 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had two 3G TLs prior to buying the 3G. I test drove the Infiniti and the SHAWD TL. The interior of the Infiniti wasn't as comfortable or nice IMO. The car also left like it was constantly searching for gears. It didn't seem as smooth as the TL. Also, I was really excited to get into a car that few have.
As a side note, the 4G SHAWD TL drives much smoother than the previous generation TL. It's a huge difference.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:37 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Better all around vehicle, it's about the sum of the whole and not the pieces and parts. 2 people I know who have the Infiniti are already talking about the cramped interior, dated look, how the engine revs wildly, and something about it not taking curves as good as they anticipate...can you say Super Handling. I truly felt the Acura was a better overall machine than the Nissan/Renault product.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:46 PM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
Needless to say, I'd bet this tread goes in a much different direction than the OP was originally thinking.

I couldn't get a 6MT with AWD on the Infiniti, and when I test drove the AT, it kept hunting for the right gear, very annoying. The interior was small and dated looking. I LOVED the Power, but honestly with my 6MT TL, when I push it hard, it feels just as fast as the Infiniti did. 6MTFTMFW
Old 05-26-2010, 12:03 AM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Negatives of G37x:

Cramped interior due to body's narrow width, smaller driver's foot well space, annoying hump intruding onto front passenger's footwell space, does not offer 6MT with AWD, LOUD engine that sounds like a beehive during hard acceleration, excessive body roll during even a "normal turn," and chassis feels like it'll fall apart when going over expansion joints/bumps
Old 05-26-2010, 12:29 AM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Refinement, interior quality, interior space.

the 7spd auto wasn't smooth and near brutal for a 2010 when in sport mode or "m"
Old 05-26-2010, 12:36 AM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
YOU GUYS ARE ALL STUPID!
Former TL owner, now a G owner - picked up the 2010 6MT G37S Sedan over the TL for the sportier heritage. All in all, I can't agree more with the majority. The TL SHAWD is way more comfortable, and definitely has more interior space. I just bought the G because my butt dyno told me it was faster, to be 100% honest with you. Can't lie though, the G definitely has it's own luxuries in electronics, gadgets, etc. Nissan did a really nice job with the car in terms of DIY things. I was really impressed. Anyways, have you seen the TL w/ the ATLP catbacks?
Old 05-26-2010, 12:38 AM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
^ by the way, some my37 forum members have run 13.4-5 with the X! darn impressive for what it is...!
Old 05-26-2010, 06:41 AM
Drifting

Received 565 Likes on 364 Posts
Both fine cars. I was actually looking for a G37S, but no dealer anywhere near me had one or seemed interested in getting one. Wasn't interested in AWD because of the weight/fuel mileage penalties. Then, after reading some good reviews of the SH-AWD TL I test drove a 6MT, and I was sold. Crazy good handling for a sedan, fast and smooth motor, outstanding sound system and interior.

But I don't think you'll go wrong with either one. Just a matter of preference.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:47 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can’t go wrong with either car. I drove so many models and brands but overall I though the infinity was a bit dated, maybe wait until the fresh redesign. Acura seems to be holding its value better than most brands still and the TL is definitely not a cookie cutter design. Blaze a trail and polarize opinions..Get a TL, then modify it, you will have a one of a kind car.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:46 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The G is a very nice car but way too "vanilla" for me. I literally see dozens every day to work and back. To me, it has become the "Camry" of luxury vehicles. I think it's a good car for those who want performance but just want to blend in.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:58 AM
Registered Member

Received 385 Likes on 234 Posts
IMO i take the G over the 4th Gen TL any day... the way they design the 4th Gen is very fucking ugly but yes its more roomie and has a nice smooth ride to it but talking about Audio Acura sucks on their audio system ELS WTF? inifinti is smart to go with Bose system sounds way better IMO G37S > TL SH AWD
Old 05-26-2010, 09:30 AM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
IMO Bose is so much damn hype. My 01 CL had a Bose system it was pretty good, for my personal use I go with speakers according to the environment they're used in. Listen to Harmon Kardon's next to the a set of Bose and they put those baby's to sleep I keep telling folks to quit sipping on others Kool-Aid and pour your own damn drink. The Acura is a functional artistic design, but class can not be purchased.
For all the giddy up the G puts out it doesn't put it to good use...how is it that it barely is faster than the TL SH-AWD with the extra ponies? That's horsepower abuse homie.
TL SH-AWD, note the Super Handling system that Infiniti can't match.
Acura TL SH-AWD > Infiniti/Renault G37S
Old 05-26-2010, 10:02 AM
The Sicilian

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by docboy
Negatives of G37x:

Cramped interior due to body's narrow width, smaller driver's foot well space, annoying hump intruding onto front passenger's footwell space, does not offer 6MT with AWD, LOUD engine that sounds like a beehive during hard acceleration, excessive body roll during even a "normal turn," and chassis feels like it'll fall apart when going over expansion joints/bumps
+1. My sister owned 2 of the G35X's, a 2005 and a 2007. I have driven both and yes they are very uncomfortable.
My wife had no interest in even test driving the G's.
We actually drove the 2010 Maxima which we found more comfortable, but still ended up with the TL.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:27 AM
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 73 Posts
NOt to say that the G is a bad car...far from it. It was my 2nd choice. But, as others have stated, the G motor sounds coarse compared to the TL's motor. Then, there's that 7-speed tranny in the G. It may have more gears than the TL's, but it certainly gets befuddled very quickly. I never felt it was ever able to find the right ratio, and I test drove 3 of them.

Interior wasn't too bad. It is cramped in comparison, though.

G handles/rides well. TL SH AWD rides/handles better.

Seats in the TL SH AWD were hands down better. Add in the sport seats in the Gs, and the gap is even larger in favor of the TL SH AWD.

Lots of other little things that put me behind the wheel of the Acura, but those were the big ones for me.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:11 AM
Back From The dead

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by DIZAZNDOOD320
IMO i take the G over the 4th Gen TL any day... the way they design the 4th Gen is very fucking ugly but yes its more roomie and has a nice smooth ride to it but talking about Audio Acura sucks on their audio system ELS WTF? inifinti is smart to go with Bose system sounds way better IMO G37S > TL SH AWD
MY TL Tech audio> My Denali Bose
Old 05-26-2010, 11:38 AM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by compewterbleu
IMO Bose is so much damn hype. My 01 CL had a Bose system it was pretty good, for my personal use I go with speakers according to the environment they're used in. Listen to Harmon Kardon's next to the a set of Bose and they put those baby's to sleep I keep telling folks to quit sipping on others Kool-Aid and pour your own damn drink.
+1

Bose sells nice speakers, but over priced and over hyped, with what I would image a good portion of its success due to good marketing. I've listened to Bose home speakers, and they are not worth the extra 100-200% over other comparable speakers such as Onkyo and Cambridge.

Bose tends to sound "too sharp and too bright." Nice speakers and definitely better than your traditional factory speakers, but not worth the extra cost.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:54 AM
Cruisin'

Performance, which is WAY more than just torque/HP/0-60. Interior and exterior styling (I did replace the front grille and rear trim on my TL with the Acura Black Chrome version, which helped a bit with the latter). The ELS eats Bose's lunch.

Re performance, since that seems to be what drives many of these discussions:
1) Clutch/shifter on Infiniti 6MT (not available on the X, by the way) just abominable.
2) Infiniti sprung way too soft for the amount of power it has. Body all over the place in anything like real driving.
3) I also tried the 7-speed "flappy paddle" version of the G37 (since that's all you can get with the AWD xS version). What a joke. Does OK in straight line acceleration run, but hopeless in any kind of real driving situation with curves requiring multi-gear changes.

Truly, the only thing the G37 maybe does better than the TL is "feel torquier" in a straight line (and even that I'm not so sure about, once you learn how to keep TL in the sweet spot). Might I suggest that if you want a car that feels torquier in a straight line than the TL, and has a Bose stereo, you try a Camaro SS. I'm not being facetious. My father-in-law has one and, for what it is, it is totally badass (and cheaper than a G37). It doesn't work for me at this stage in my life (I need a car I can use for business stuff), but if it works for you it might be a better choice than the TL, and is certainly a better choice than the G.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:23 PM
Back From The dead

Originally Posted by TandooriChicken
Performance, which is WAY more than just torque/HP/0-60. Interior and exterior styling (I did replace the front grille and rear trim on my TL with the Acura Black Chrome version, which helped a bit with the latter). The ELS eats Bose's lunch.

Re performance, since that seems to be what drives many of these discussions:
1) Clutch/shifter on Infiniti 6MT (not available on the X, by the way) just abominable.
2) Infiniti sprung way too soft for the amount of power it has. Body all over the place in anything like real driving.
3) I also tried the 7-speed "flappy paddle" version of the G37 (since that's all you can get with the AWD xS version). What a joke. Does OK in straight line acceleration run, but hopeless in any kind of real driving situation with curves requiring multi-gear changes.

Truly, the only thing the G37 maybe does better than the TL is "feel torquier" in a straight line (and even that I'm not so sure about, once you learn how to keep TL in the sweet spot). Might I suggest that if you want a car that feels torquier in a straight line than the TL, and has a Bose stereo, you try a Camaro SS. I'm not being facetious. My father-in-law has one and, for what it is, it is totally badass (and cheaper than a G37). It doesn't work for me at this stage in my life (I need a car I can use for business stuff), but if it works for you it might be a better choice than the TL, and is certainly a better choice than the G.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:09 PM
8th Gear

I came out of an m35 and looked at both the new m and g. Waited a year for the M before buying the TL. It was simply no contest. Other than cutting a few corners and some glaring phone implementation issues, the TL beats both of them across the board.

Better handling(m and g overrated based on my 4years in the M) equal acceleration, far more quiet. Infiniti tech (Nav and bluetooth) far superior-Acura is an abomination here. Better sound in TL. Style Infiniti safer;I actually like the TL grill and all.

TL is just the better value for money vehicle. More space than the G;12 grand cheaper than the M. Last 4 cars were BMW,MB Lexus, and M. Frankly I'm enjoying this car more than the others except the 5 series which performed a little better but was so uncomfortable (lousy seats,too small) that I would never own one and avoid being a passenger except for a very short ride.

I have the luxury of buying pretty much any car I want and I couldn't be more pleased with my choice.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:55 PM
Drifting

WOW! So many responses! Thank you so much everyone for your input! Like one poster said, many of your responses certainly took this thread to a direction that I had no expected!!! LOL! Still, I really enjoy reading all of your responses, and have found your insight to be most helpful. Thank you!

To be honest with you, I am leaning more towards the TL SH-AWD. Even though it may be slightly less fast, I really liked the quieter interior, and the better sound system. Also, having been spoilt by the large 8" navi screen of my TSX, all the other brands' navi screens seem so small! LOL!

Alright, so it does not have a fold-down rear seat (which is something that I regret) but then neither does the G Sedan.

Now, if the 2011 model comes with 6AT then I probably will wait a little bit.... thanks again everyone!
Old 05-27-2010, 02:45 AM
Instructor

1 reason - Felt like I was in an altima
Old 05-27-2010, 02:26 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
One big reason for me is how Infiniti nickel and dimes you for EVERY option.

Want nav? There's a price for that. AWD? Add it on! Premium leather, yup there's a fee. Gas tank? We'll charge you! How about those wheels? Ka-ching!

And what if you want some features but not others that are included with the features you want? And what if the dealer doesn't have a model with the specific features you want? It's IRRITATING!

With Acura, the pricing is so utterly straight forward it's almost too simple.

1. Pick model.
2. Auto or manual.
3. Base or navigation.
4. Select your color combination.

Sold!
Old 05-27-2010, 03:48 PM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by jzacuto
One big reason for me is how Infiniti nickel and dimes you for EVERY option.

Want nav? There's a price for that. AWD? Add it on! Premium leather, yup there's a fee. Gas tank? We'll charge you! How about those wheels? Ka-ching!

And what if you want some features but not others that are included with the features you want? And what if the dealer doesn't have a model with the specific features you want? It's IRRITATING!

With Acura, the pricing is so utterly straight forward it's almost too simple.

1. Pick model.
2. Auto or manual.
3. Base or navigation.
4. Select your color combination.

Sold!
Wow, you just nailed on the head the reason I got my first Acura, an 04 TSX.
Old 05-27-2010, 04:02 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by ostrich

...To be honest with you, I am leaning more towards the TL SH-AWD. Even though it may be slightly less fast, I really liked the quieter interior, and the better sound system. Also, having been spoilt by the large 8" navi screen of my TSX, all the other brands' navi screens seem so small! LOL!
Not to pick nits, but there are very few situations where the TL SH-AWD, at least in its 6MT incarnation with the Pilot Sports (high performance tire package), is "slightly less fast" than the G37S 6MT, let alone the xS with semi-auto. On any kind of road course, torque-vectoring AWD should beat the G. If you haven't driven one fast yet, you owe yourself the pleasure!
Old 05-27-2010, 04:06 PM
Cruisin'

I don't recall if 6MT was an option you are looking at, but if you want to go auto might be worth waiting. I was not crazy about the 5-speed auto currently on the SH-AWD when I test drove it. That being said, I am not a fan of automatic transmissions in general.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:53 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
The TL mostly because of the 6MT AWD combo. The SH is a more capable AWD system when you consider active torque vectoring and it fits my demographics and intentions for use better than Infiniti's. Also the TL is just a bigger car with a more spacious interior that I find more comfortable. The G does well in passenger volume for it's class but it's narrow and tall with a lot of space up top and I don't find that very usable.

Cargo is 1ft larger in the G compared to the SH but that has never been an issue for me. Anything I would ever think of putting in the trunk fits nicely on the font/rear seat(s) or the floor and I have access to an SUV and a van for the big stuff when needed.

Getting older, I can't see myself in the smaller sportier car type anymore but I didn't want to sacrifice the performance you get out of that type of vehicle either, the TL SH (especially 6MT) solved that problem. This car often does one better in the handling and braking departments compared to the G and most of it's competitve set and gives up next to nothing in straightline acceleration, with exception.

Then there is just how much more refined most of the car is and feels in comparison to it being as capable as it is. In other words, I love the idea that the bigger (heavier) car can be as capable and in some ways more, while feeling more like a luxury vehicle as opposed to a sports car. A few examples, the steering in the TL is very direct and responsive, great for a sports application but it's lighter feeling and not overly weighted. The tranny and engine feel smoother, as is the ride. Where the G focuses more on being a smaller, better balanced, more aerodynamic and just a sportier feeling car all around.

I find the interior to be a bit nicer and prefer the stereo and navi in the TL. A lot of this is subjective though. Again, spend some time with each deciding how you feel about them and I would do as others suggest and see what they plan for the 2011 TL before you make a decision. Since the 6AT is even going into some of the 2011 Honda lineup there is a good chance it ends up on the TL. It should be worth the wait to at least have the option of comparing.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:10 PM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
The 6MT is just as fast as the G37s so if speed is important there really is no difference between the TL 6MT and G37s but it is faster than the G37x for sure but we are talking tenths of a second here. The 6MT will do 0-60 about .8 to 1 second faster than the automatic TL will.

I can't remember the review that pitted the TL 6MT against the G37s, BMW 335i and Audi S4 but the TL did do a 0-60 in 5.2 seconds.

BTW the ELS system in the tech TL is fare superior to the the G's Bose system. Also this is not the 3G TL's ELS system... it is much much better. Now where the hell is that review on OEM stereo systems that the ELS system was rated the best?
Old 05-27-2010, 08:26 PM
Back From The dead

Fast can't be the only bench mark...My Yukon is just as fast as my SHAWD?!
Old 05-27-2010, 08:55 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ostrich
I am trying to decide between them but I really like both cars!!! They are nice in different ways, too:

Advantages of the TL SH-AWD:

1. Better interior design
2. More luxurious ride
3. More interior space
4. Better stereo system
5. Better AWD system

Advantages of the G37Xs:

1. Faster!!! Handles a bit better, but both are great
2. Sportier ride
3. Very nice sport seats
4. Exterior design less polarizing
5. Trunk space seems more usable

However, the current G sedan is probably due for a major model re-design in just over a year's time, so if I get it now it will look like an "old model" in no time.......

For those of you who cross-shopped both cars, I would very much like to know why you picked the TL over the G sedan in the end? Thanks so much!
1) Well, no close Infiniti dealer near my home;
2) better interior in the TL;
3) Better handling in the TL;
4) Rough engine noise at high RPM;
5) Nagging 7AT (hunts for gear non-stop, DS mode not great, not as much fun as the S mode in the TL);
6) more space for my tall legs and feet;
7) Simple package structure (Tech/Non tech, SHAWD/NonSHAWD)
8) Great Acura dealer in my city, 3 minutes from home;
9) Speed deficiency corrected easily by the Takeda intake and lighter wheels.

G37X is a perfectly fine car and a cohesive package. I loved the coupe but for a 50 000 $CDN + sales taxes, I expected much more brutal acceleration from it since it's always praised by the car rags as a quick car...well it's quick but a TL 6MT or a slightly modded 5AT will be as quick while keeping the sweet J37 engine of the TL.

Actually, I made 3hrs road trip without any music besides the sound of the 3.7 engine in the TL.

My respectful , ymmv!
-YetiTL
Old 05-27-2010, 09:13 PM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
you have to go drive them. trying to pick a car based on which is "faster" is pointless. are you going to drag race to work every day and "win" if you get there .1 seconds faster???

my boxster is NOT as fast in a straight line as either the TL or the G - but if you wanted to go have PURE FUN in a car - the boxster beats both those by a MILE, despite being "slower"... it's about the whole car - the sum of it's parts.

alll the above comparisons and observations are mostly true - and just remember it is all subjective. you have to drive them both. drive them back to back. think about how you will really use the car and not get wrapped up in magazine specs.

0-60 and 1/4 mile give you an idea as to the cars capability - but how the seats feel, how it takes turns, how it accelerates at speed, interior sound level, rear seat leg room, etc .. are all things yhou have to think about.

you also may want to think outside the box and test ddrive some stuff that you never considered. test drive a Hyundai Sonata (awesome looking car!) or Geneis, a new Accord, a Camaro, etc.. etc.. if you have the time, go look at them all. the more you look at the more educated you become on things you like and things you don't like..

i always analogize cars to women. if you were going to pick one woman to be with for a long long time - would you want to make that choice after datings only TWO or would you want to "try" them all... try out a whole bunch... see what you like, what you don't..and then when you do finally pick one - you'll know it was an informed decision.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:40 PM
Drifting

Thanks again everyone. BTW, 23109VC, I made the above observations based on having driven both cars already. So I was not just shopping on paper. Speed is not really my main criteria, I think the superior refinement and luxurious appointment of the TL SH-AWD is surely winning me over now :-)

I saw one black TL SH-AWD on the freeway today - wow, that thing surely has presence on the road! I loved it!!! On the other hand, the black G35X that I saw on the same freeway today did not really stand out.

I will go back and test drive the TL SH-AWD some time soon. Now, since it's likely that the 6AT may make it to the 2011 model, I may just wait for a few more months...

Thanks again!
Old 05-28-2010, 10:39 AM
WDP 4G

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts
I've had my time in a G before I got my 4G. The G was fun to drive but damn it was uncomfortable. Especially on long trips I felt so cramped with passengers in the back. I felt worse for the passenger though. The TL was my choice because G37's are all over the place just like bmw's. I guess individuality and the styling grew on me. I don't regret getting the TL(I don't have an SH)