What was I thinking, I must be crazy.. I hated the 4G....

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 05:49 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Peter Ubers, I like that idea, sign me up for that mod
Old 02-02-2009, 07:08 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,662 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
why can't they just put all the interior and engine/drivetrain guts of the 4g SH-AWD TL into a 3G Type S shell and sell it to me for $40,000 OTD????! Simple 1 day job, right?
THAT would be a sweet setup!!!
Old 02-02-2009, 09:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
why can't they just put all the interior and engine/drivetrain guts of the 4g SH-AWD TL into a 3G Type S shell and sell it to me for $40,000 OTD????! Simple 1 day job, right?
That's why I have an RL! I was waiting for Acura to put SH-AWD into the 3G TL......I would have paid MSRP for that. I'm really a TL guy at heart....

In any case, congrats Keith! You sure you're going to last through a 39-month lease given your history? You know the 2010 SH-AWD with 6MT is coming....

On another note, I have a FWD non-tech 2009 as a loaner while my RL is in for electrical trouble (two dead batteries in three weeks). Official neuronbob™ 4G TL review coming soon....and I'll have to go back to test-drive the SH-AWD variant soon.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:19 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
Well I finally did it, I agonized between G37 and 4G AWD for last 2 weeks and finally at last minute just when with 4G AWD. I had to go out of state to get it, but dealer met me half way with car (about 120 miles) to get the color I wanted, Palladium Metallic over Ebony. What a tough time finding AWD in SE, there are so few cars, liek a dozen in all of Georgia and half ar elike black on black and the others are taupe or taupe ebony or a few umber. I paid a few hundred more than I woudl have liked but they came down to my max limit since it was the last day of the month and the dealer in TN had 4 AWD cars. I hated the 4G when it came out and honestly while it is growing on me, I doubt I'll ever love it liek my 3G Type-S. The AWD suspension is so refined it is amazing. I do wish they woudl put a bit more resistance ont he electric steering, still too sensitve and numb for my tastes, but tolerable. This AWD sucks gas bad, I used to get 27MPG easily in my Type-S this thing at 75-80 was showing about 24.3 for 100 mile run. I better grow to like it I signed a 39 month lease ;-)

I'll post some pics in a week or 2 when I get the windows tinted.
Hey Keith, congrats on the new purchase! While your comments on the 4G were always mindful and respectful, you were seriously like the last person I'd think to ever get a 4G! Congrats again and post up some pics!
Old 02-03-2009, 03:29 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by blakura
Congrats Keith, I wouldn't worry about the mileage so much right now, my TL-S (6MT) was averaging about 17-19 mpg/city when I got it (8 miles on the odo) but at about 11k miles, I average around 23-24 mpg/city and took a 500 mile road trip during the holidays and averaged 30 mpg/mixed (I took the scenic route home). I have started to consider the 4G TL again, but I'm afraid I'll miss my TL-S that I still look back at when I park it. Honestly, if I go a day without driving, I'll still peek into the garage to look at her
+1! About a week ago there were 3 trade-in TL-Ss, an '07 blk/blk auto, and 2 '08 6MTs, one white/blk and the other blk/blk. Two were trade ins and one was a repo. All 3 were sold in a matter of like 2-3 days, even in this crummy economy.

But yeah, good to hear I'm not the only one who stares at their 3G in the garage/driveway! My neighbors must think I'm nuts but yeah, I love just staring back at the car after I've gotten out of it.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:37 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
But yeah, good to hear I'm not the only one who stares at their 3G in the garage/driveway! My neighbors must think I'm nuts but yeah, I love just staring back at the car after I've gotten out of it.
OMG I do the same. It's like I am in love again. My wife thinks I am obsessed with the car since I got it. The funny thing is I didn't do this much with my 05 TL. There is something about the Type S, maybe the blue color on mine, that just keeps me in my garage more than usual
Old 02-03-2009, 03:37 PM
Advanced

Absolutely! And I agree with your earlier comment about the 4G and the G37. I don't like the idea of replacing the touchscreen with a joystick in the navi, but I absolutely hate the idea of being forced to put the car into "Park" in order to use the Navi, even the voice-activated functions.

Acura was wrong to do away with the high-beam xenons and to not offer a power tilt steering column, but the one thing I hate about the G37 (aside from the "frozen" navi) is how the 6-speed shifter vibrates when the car is in neutral. The '07 G35 6MT sedan and the '08 G37 coupe both had the same problem, something my TL never did, but I'm assuming the '09 G37 sedan has it since the tranny is still a carryover. Alot of guys on the G35 forums shrug it off as a non-issue but those little details drive me crazy.

I'd like to see what RonJon could come up with as for front and rear fascia options for the 4G, but I doubt I'd stare back at a 4G in my driveway the same way that I do with my current 3G.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:45 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Audioholics
OMG I do the same. It's like I am in love again. My wife thinks I am obsessed with the car since I got it. The funny thing is I didn't do this much with my 05 TL. There is something about the Type S, maybe the blue color on mine, that just keeps me in my garage more than usual
"If I were married my wife would likely divorce me, accusing me of having an affair with the family 3G TL."

You've got the kinetic blue TL-S? Whoooaa! (said like "Joey" from the 90s sitcom "Blossom") That was my first choice insofar as the TL-S was concerned. Problem was that there were so few of them and most of the the ones they had in KBP were in automatic, which I hate. I have an '05 6MT, which I love, but I'm really kicking myself now for not having upgraded when they still had a few '08 TL-S 6-speeds on the lot just a few months ago.

Anyway, post up some pics of your KBP! (In the 3G forums, of course!)
Old 02-03-2009, 04:10 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Originally Posted by Audioholics
Dude...I'm right there with you. I know EXACTLY what you mean. After a full year, I'm still in the "honeymoon mode" with my Type S. My girlfriend thinks I love the car more than her. And don't even get me started with the time I spend on Acurazine....whew !!!!

Having this TL has renewed my enthusiasm about automobiles.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:13 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Dude...I'm right there with you. I know EXACTLY what you mean. After a full year, I'm still in the "honeymoon mode" with my Type S. My girlfriend thinks I love the car more than her. And don't even get me started with the time I spend on Acurazine....whew !!!!

I could of sworn this was a topic about someone buying a new 4G in the 4G community. No problem to love your car...just wish ya'll would do it in the 3G community.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:41 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
I finally got a chance to test drive the SH-AWD TL this past weekend while car was at the dealership for the state safety inspection. I have to say, it does drive relatively well. The electric power steering feels much better than the steering in the new TSX, though it is still too light for my tastes. The car, despite being substantially longer and a bit wider than my TL-S, did not feel nearly that big while being driven, a sign that the suspension is well tuned and the SH-AWD is doing it's job.

Funny enough, as I was digging around in the interior of the car that was sitting in the showroom waiting for the sales guy I know to pull the keys for the car, I overheard a conversation between another salesperson and the sales manager. The poor lady had to tell her manager that she was going to lose a sale to Jaguar because the couple that had expressed interest in the RL hated the grille and thought it was too ugly.

I certainly hope those types of stories are filtering up to Acura.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Mpunk
Hey Keith, congrats on the new purchase! While your comments on the 4G were always mindful and respectful, you were seriously like the last person I'd think to ever get a 4G! Congrats again and post up some pics!
Trust me I am still in shock!! I will always doubt my decision as I loved my 08 Type-S, I mean it is till liek post partem depresson But there is no turning back and while I find the G37 to be a way better looking car in every way, it is lacking in other ways, the Navi just down right sucks, the sound system while good is not in same league as the ELS in the 4G and the total lack of voice commands for anything other than basic NAV and Bluetooth is too much for me. Also the interior while nice is a tad snug and the trunk is rather small. The TL looks have grown on me and I think when Ron Jon releases his grill I will be right there getting it and I think the car will look great from the front then, the back is still quiestionable as it is too busy, but tolerable. I honestly think the 3G TL will go down in Acura histroy liek the original Legend, a great awesome car perfectly packaged and an act that is hard to follow.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:10 PM
Yea, It's Me!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Trust me I am still in shock!! I will always doubt my decision as I loved my 08 Type-S, I mean it is till liek post partem depresson But there is no turning back and while I find the G37 to be a way better looking car in every way, it is lacking in other ways, the Navi just down right sucks, the sound system while good is not in same league as the ELS in the 4G and the total lack of voice commands for anything other than basic NAV and Bluetooth is too much for me. Also the interior while nice is a tad snug and the trunk is rather small. The TL looks have grown on me and I think when Ron Jon releases his grill I will be right there getting it and I think the car will look great from the front then, the back is still quiestionable as it is too busy, but tolerable. I honestly think the 3G TL will go down in Acura histroy liek the original Legend, a great awesome car perfectly packaged and an act that is hard to follow.
You won't doubt your decision very long. I test drove almost every car in the class plus 3 or 4 in the upper class. I almost bought the Jaguar XF but decided to step back so I can afford to buy an older Triumph TR-6 or Lotus Europa next year to replace the S2000 I traded in. I love the 4G TL. When I made the decision, I didn't have one other candidate that I gave a second thought to. I liked the 08 3g TLS but I couldn't see spending 2008 dollars on 2004 technology. Plus, if I keep this car 4 years, the platform would be 8 years old. I don't find haters except here but they are getting less and less. Plus I like not seeing a 4G around every corner.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
I finally got a chance to test drive the SH-AWD TL this past weekend while car was at the dealership for the state safety inspection. I have to say, it does drive relatively well. The electric power steering feels much better than the steering in the new TSX, though it is still too light for my tastes. The car, despite being substantially longer and a bit wider than my TL-S, did not feel nearly that big while being driven, a sign that the suspension is well tuned and the SH-AWD is doing it's job.

Funny enough, as I was digging around in the interior of the car that was sitting in the showroom waiting for the sales guy I know to pull the keys for the car, I overheard a conversation between another salesperson and the sales manager. The poor lady had to tell her manager that she was going to lose a sale to Jaguar because the couple that had expressed interest in the RL hated the grille and thought it was too ugly.

Well, in my opinion, very few cars, German, Japanese, or American, can match the styling of the new Jaguar XF series sedans. That is one sexy beast! I test drove a XF Supercharged sedan last summer and it was hands down, one of the best sports sedans I've ever seen or driven!.....I just wish I had some $65K lying around to buy it.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:48 PM
Yea, It's Me!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
......The poor lady had to tell her manager that she was going to lose a sale to Jaguar because the couple that had expressed interest in the RL hated the grille and thought it was too ugly.

CGTSX - Not disputing your comment, more disputing what the sales rep told his manager. I really doubt that the RL grill drove off a customer to Jaguar. I looked at and drove both cars. If I was seriously spending 65k for a car, I might be looking an M or a AMG vs a Jag, certainly not comparing the Jag and RL.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by PGSberg
Plus I like not seeing a 4G around every corner.
Yeah that is the big advantage right now, Infiniti G sedans are starting to become common here liek the 3G was back in 06 so the low 4G sales will keep us in a rather exclusive club for a while and the car does stand out so we'll be noticed. I recall back in 05 and 06 I woudl still get people come up to me and ask me about the car, I'm sure the same will hold true now for the 4G.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:56 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by PGSberg
CGTSX - Not disputing your comment, more disputing what the sales rep told his manager. I really doubt that the RL grill drove off a customer to Jaguar. I looked at and drove both cars. If I was seriously spending 65k for a car, I might be looking an M or a AMG vs a Jag, certainly not comparing the Jag and RL.
Umm...considering that the base level XF stickers at $50k and with the poor sales in recent months, dealers are offering thousands off and are throwing in option left and right, I would not be surprised that a loaded RL and a relatively closely matched XF Luxury model come pretty close in price. Plus, you seem to be forgetting how vain most people are and the looks of the XF are hard to dispute when put up against the 09 RL.

And as for your comment about buying an AMG or an M, $65k buys you an M3 or a C63, both of which are a full size smaller than the Jaguar XF. Your priorities may not translate to the priorities of other buyers.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:04 AM
Pro

...you seem to be forgetting how vain most people are and the looks of the XF are hard to dispute...
True, it's hard to dispute that the XF looks like a Volvo or a Buick.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:19 PM
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by S2000 Driver
True, it's hard to dispute that the XF looks like a Volvo or a Buick.

If thats the case i would surely take the Volvo or Buick looking Jaguar XF over what Acura redesigned, butchering the once beautiful RL.

Chris Bangle is back on the market. Acura should seriously look at hiring him if they want to design a car to seriously take on the true luxury market.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:29 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,114 Likes on 2,555 Posts
Originally Posted by cp3117

Chris Bangle is back on the market. Acura should seriously look at hiring him if they want to design a car to seriously take on the true luxury market.

Then again that might be a bad thing considering how heavily criticized the Bangled cars have been. Although a extremely talented designer, Bangle also created alot of tension and animosity inside BMW.

Rumor has it that Stefan Quandt (one of the Quant family members who own BMW) sat in on most of the design reviews of the current 3-series while it was in design and development stages. Apparently he was not happy with the styling of current 5-series compared to it's predecisor. So he made sure the Bangle style was more subdued and attentuated on the 3!
Old 02-04-2009, 12:44 PM
AZ Community Team

Oh almost forgot.
Congrats on the new 4G AWD!
The original purpose of the thread.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
Then again that might be a bad thing considering how heavily criticized the Bangled cars have been. Although a extremely talented designer, Bangle also created alot of tension and animosity inside BMW.
His styling did little to stymie record sales of the E90/92 and E60. It remains to be seen whether or not the current gen Acuras can withstand its dubious styling with respect to sales.

As for the latter XF comments, it really is a stunner in person.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:59 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by F23A4
...it really is a stunner in person.
Where have I heard that before?

Old 02-04-2009, 03:50 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by F23A4
His styling did little to stymie record sales of the E90/92 and E60. It remains to be seen whether or not the current gen Acuras can withstand its dubious styling with respect to sales.

As for the latter XF comments, it really is a stunner in person.
I call that the Accord/Camry syndrome, no matter how unattractive the styling alot of folks still buy them because they appreciate the other good attributes of those cars.

Still, the 7G Accord is an eyesore compared to the 3G TL. Hard to believe they share alot of hiertage and components.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:13 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't hate on that XF, it's definitely a looker... I saw one on the highway and it had a hint of like Masi Quattroporte in it or something... I think better looking than the 4G TL I was driving.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:27 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 835 Likes on 519 Posts
a little off topic, but MichiganRich, the TL in your avatar looks hot!
Old 02-05-2009, 09:29 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
I call that the Accord/Camry syndrome, no matter how unattractive the styling alot of folks still buy them because they appreciate the other good attributes of those cars.

Still, the 7G Accord is an eyesore compared to the 3G TL. Hard to believe they share alot of hiertage and components.
Point taken....safe to say that opposite can be stated for the 8G Accord/4G TL. (So long as one is not too hung up on the styling/badge much, they -- like me -- would find the 06-07 AV6 EX-L to be just about on par with the 04-08 TL...exc. TL-S)
Old 02-05-2009, 12:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Yeah that is the big advantage right now, Infiniti G sedans are starting to become common here liek the 3G was back in 06 so the low 4G sales will keep us in a rather exclusive club for a while and the car does stand out so we'll be noticed. I recall back in 05 and 06 I woudl still get people come up to me and ask me about the car, I'm sure the same will hold true now for the 4G.
Yeah, in 05-06 I remember when I was living in San Antonio TX, I was one of the few 3G TL on the road. 07-08 they were everywhere.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:01 PM
I Only Park In

Originally Posted by Mpunk
Absolutely! And I agree with your earlier comment about the 4G and the G37. I don't like the idea of replacing the touchscreen with a joystick in the navi, but I absolutely hate the idea of being forced to put the car into "Park" in order to use the Navi, even the voice-activated functions.

Acura was wrong to do away with the high-beam xenons and to not offer a power tilt steering column, but the one thing I hate about the G37 (aside from the "frozen" navi) is how the 6-speed shifter vibrates when the car is in neutral. The '07 G35 6MT sedan and the '08 G37 coupe both had the same problem, something my TL never did, but I'm assuming the '09 G37 sedan has it since the tranny is still a carryover. Alot of guys on the G35 forums shrug it off as a non-issue but those little details drive me crazy.

I'd like to see what RonJon could come up with as for front and rear fascia options for the 4G, but I doubt I'd stare back at a 4G in my driveway the same way that I do with my current 3G.
+1
Old 02-05-2009, 01:12 PM
I Only Park In

Originally Posted by Steven Bell

my wife said to me... " you owned a 3G TL-S and why the hell do you always turn your head everytime when you see the 3G TLs or TL-Ss passing by". and also asked me if i want to get another 3G TL ? i said to her... hell yeah!!! if i can afford it, BTW my TL-S is an 07 KBP...
Old 02-05-2009, 05:15 PM
Instructor

Thanks iforyou, but there is sadly nothing like heat in Michigan these days. :-)

It's a little snowmonster though...
Old 02-07-2009, 07:37 PM
Intermediate

saw a few at the philly auto show today .. theey do look fineee
Old 02-07-2009, 10:30 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 835 Likes on 519 Posts
Originally Posted by MichiganRich
Thanks iforyou, but there is sadly nothing like heat in Michigan these days. :-)

It's a little snowmonster though...
wish I had SH-AWD lol.