What do you think of this price OTR (Canadian)?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009 | 10:35 AM
Racer

What do you think of this price OTR (Canadian)?

I got offered a price of $859 OTR with all fees taxes for financing a BRAND NEW 09 Acura TL FWD with Tech Package and Skirt Package.

That includes the $1500 Factory to Dealer Rebate and $1500 Acura Loyalty Rebate.

Best price I have gotten by far and no dealers are even trying to match that.

Please let me know your thoughts? This was financed for 60 months at 3.9%.
Old 07-27-2009 | 11:07 AM
2015 TLX SH-AWD Elite BWP

I see that you're in Toronto.

Contact Craig. He was saying few threads below that can easily do invoice + 1500$ +PDI, which came down somewhere at MRSP-4500+PDI , if I'm not wrong.
Old 07-27-2009 | 11:09 AM
06 6mt A-Spec Navi

how much down??
Old 07-27-2009 | 12:42 PM
Cruisin'

Where? Out of Toronto?
Old 07-27-2009 | 01:39 PM
Racer

If that is with $0 down, the dealer is giving you a fantastic deal. Why bother even contemplate this? It's like $600 over invoice - take the damn deal cuz I definitely wouldn't do it!
Old 07-27-2009 | 04:01 PM
Racer

$0...yes...legit..final price..and yes he told me himself it was about just under $600 over invoice..this place has been known to be very very aggressive on their prices so I know for a fact its legit

Just wanted to get some "expert" opinions..thanks guys...

Would anyone do $1000 over invoice to get a local sale? (@CraigMacDTA) ???
Old 07-27-2009 | 04:15 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by wmahmud
$0...yes...legit..final price..and yes he told me himself it was about just under $600 over invoice..this place has been known to be very very aggressive on their prices so I know for a fact its legit

To be honest, I wouldn't be able to sell a FWD TL right now for less than $1500 profit. There's just not enough product to substanciate it. Our GM has recently been giving us all heat for our average gross profits as of late, especially on vehicles that we only have a handfull of.
Old 07-27-2009 | 09:31 PM
06 6mt A-Spec Navi

thats a great deal my dealer wouldnt even come close to that infact there first price was better then the second so I walked away since they wanted almost full list. Funny thing is they have only moved 1 TL off there lot in a week I guess they don't care how many they are stuck with when the new model starts rolling in
Old 07-27-2009 | 10:48 PM
Racer

Thanks for everyones help ..I guess I know where I will be picking mine up!!!
Old 07-28-2009 | 06:20 AM
Cruisin'

If you're not buying local ... then where?
Old 07-28-2009 | 10:26 AM
Advanced

Question

I got offered a price of $859 OTR with all fees taxes for financing a BRAND NEW 09 Acura TL FWD with Tech Package and Skirt Package.

That includes the $1500 Factory to Dealer Rebate and $1500 Acura Loyalty Rebate.

In my mind this does not make much sense, to pay 60 times $859 for a total of $51,540. It may be the best offer, but still, this is huge (obscene) price for FWD TL. Why are you not considering Accord V6? That A badge is worth that much more in your opinion?

And, I still cannot comprehend all this talk about setting a profit margin per unit to $1,500 minimum and rather not selling anything then selling much more for less profit? It all seems like a BS, big time. Or somebody is doing something else for living and having a dealership just for fun.
Old 07-28-2009 | 10:28 AM
Advanced

Thanks for everyones help ..I guess I know where I will be picking mine up!!!
Which place are you talking about if I may ask?
Old 07-28-2009 | 10:58 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by jjar03
In my mind this does not make much sense, to pay 60 times $859 for a total of $51,540. It may be the best offer, but still, this is huge (obscene) price for FWD TL. Why are you not considering Accord V6? That A badge is worth that much more in your opinion?

And, I still cannot comprehend all this talk about setting a profit margin per unit to $1,500 minimum and rather not selling anything then selling much more for less profit? It all seems like a BS, big time. Or somebody is doing something else for living and having a dealership just for fun.
Dude, what the F*%K are you preaching? Get off the glue...this is ACURAZINE, not a Honda site.
Old 07-28-2009 | 12:23 PM
I feel strongly both ways

Originally Posted by CraigMacDTA
Dude, what the F*%K are you preaching? Get off the glue...this is ACURAZINE, not a Honda site.
His point remains a valid one, however. At current exchange rates, this means he'll be paying $47,652 for a FWD/Tech TL. And that is obscene by any standards. Perhaps he would be far better served buying the 6 cylinder Accord.
Old 07-28-2009 | 12:59 PM
Racer

Doc, the product's are priced higher here in Canada. You can't go by exchange rate as the US dollar/Canadian Loonie is always fluctuating. I did the calculations - he's getting a discount of $4400. Because he's financing, he's missing out on another $1500, which would have given him a discount of nearly $6000. Take that $6000 off the price from an American priced FWD Tech Package and tell me if he's paying too much!

wmahmud...you're getting a stellar f'n deal...$600 profit for the dealer and $4400 discount for you - anything better you'd have to start up your own fleet company.
Old 07-29-2009 | 06:17 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by PsychDoc
His point remains a valid one, however. At current exchange rates, this means he'll be paying $47,652 for a FWD/Tech TL. And that is obscene by any standards. Perhaps he would be far better served buying the 6 cylinder Accord.
Pricing doesn't vary with the fluctuating exchange rates. Most of them have been fixed at around 0,82-85 exchange rate. Acura have no choice or we would have fluctuating car prices all the time.

Whether or not it is a good way to increase profit when the exchange rate goes up remains to be seen or debated. I also think we tend to pay much more for cars in Canada and let me tell you, it gets even badder with European cars like BMW/Audi...

My 2 cents (take it with a grain or a pouch of salt),
-YetiTL
Old 07-29-2009 | 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by YetiTL
Pricing doesn't vary with the fluctuating exchange rates. Most of them have been fixed at around 0,82-85 exchange rate. Acura have no choice or we would have fluctuating car prices all the time.

Whether or not it is a good way to increase profit when the exchange rate goes up remains to be seen or debated. I also think we tend to pay much more for cars in Canada and let me tell you, it gets even badder with European cars like BMW/Audi...

My 2 cents (take it with a grain or a pouch of salt),
-YetiTL
Jeez, wouldn't you guys do better buying a car in America and driving it back up to Canada? Sounds like Canadian prices are about 33% higher than you can get in the USA (even after equating for the exchange rate).
Old 07-29-2009 | 08:51 AM
Instructor

Jeez, wouldn't you guys do better buying a car in America and driving it back up to Canada? Sounds like Canadian prices are about 33% higher than you can get in the USA (even after equating for the exchange rate).
There are taxes and registration fees for doing that which, as I understand it, make it not worth the hassle.
Old 07-29-2009 | 09:39 AM

Do not forget the most important aspect :the warranty is not honored
Old 07-29-2009 | 12:52 PM
Cruisin'

I bet I couldn't find a better deal in the state. I looked quickly and decided to buy in Canada.
Old 07-29-2009 | 01:39 PM
Racer

This was the biggest headache about 2 years ago when the Loonie and dollar were on par as people kept comparing the big price gap. See it's all good when the American dollar is strong and the difference to Canadian dollar is at least 20%, cuz then it's only a slight difference. Either way, Canadians are still getting jacked!
Old 07-29-2009 | 03:58 PM
Racer

Its a TL Tech with Skirt Package as well - and yes, not worth it to me to lose warranty on a car to save a few thousand
Old 07-29-2009 | 04:18 PM
5th Gear

dude you are very lucky to get that discount.
I recently signed a lease: tl with tech and got 3000 off MSRP
1500 factory rebate and 1500 off the margin. I think they made $2200 as a profit. But its ok i aint complaining.

I have heard alot of stories about importing cars from us. Some are really good, where dealerships would transfer your warranty with a little fee, some end up paying same as the canadian prices with all those taxes added in. So its all about ur level of knowledge and research. At the end of the day, there is no harm in trying.
Old 07-29-2009 | 10:08 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by giani
dude you are very lucky to get that discount.
I recently signed a lease: tl with tech and got 3000 off MSRP
1500 factory rebate and 1500 off the margin. I think they made $2200 as a profit. But its ok i aint complaining.
That's pretty much the going rate right now...inventory is next to nothing and dealers aren't getting anything until October.
Old 07-31-2009 | 01:00 PM
Instructor

As Craig said. This is a pretty good deal no doubt.

Where are you getting this car? Local in Toronto?

Financing at that price $859 a month seems good but on a 60 month term, that is long.

Again, it depends on your current financial situation but I'm almost done paying off my car (06 TL) - 4 months left (financed it 3 yrs).

My regret is that I should have put down a bigger down payment because I am tired of the monthly payments. Also, it would have been paid off faster.

Maybe you should consider if possible? The length of the monthly payments may not make you happy down the road. I'm 27. So you will be done when you are 31.

But again, all depends on your financial situation and where you see yourself in a few years.

Just revealing my thoughts and what I've gone through since I signed on the dotted line nearly 3 years ago.

Craig, what do you think? What do you others think who are around the same age?

Enjoy the car if you decide to pull the trigger.

Last edited by TMLInfinity; 07-31-2009 at 01:04 PM.
Old 07-31-2009 | 09:25 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by TMLInfinity
As Craig said. This is a pretty good deal no doubt.

Where are you getting this car? Local in Toronto?

Financing at that price $859 a month seems good but on a 60 month term, that is long.

Again, it depends on your current financial situation but I'm almost done paying off my car (06 TL) - 4 months left (financed it 3 yrs).

My regret is that I should have put down a bigger down payment because I am tired of the monthly payments. Also, it would have been paid off faster.

Maybe you should consider if possible? The length of the monthly payments may not make you happy down the road. I'm 27. So you will be done when you are 31.

But again, all depends on your financial situation and where you see yourself in a few years.

Just revealing my thoughts and what I've gone through since I signed on the dotted line nearly 3 years ago.

Craig, what do you think? What do you others think who are around the same age?

Enjoy the car if you decide to pull the trigger.
Very true, however, if he were to do a 48 month finance, his payments go up quite a bit and even more so for 36 months. I think, if everybody had a choice they would pay for it quickly but sometimes it's monetarily impossible, especially with rent/mortgage, bills, bills and more bills!

I'm a BIG fan of leasing a new car...I lease my TSX and when I'm done, I'll be leasing the MMC 2012 TL SH-AWD...it's always nice to not worry about depreciation.
Old 08-01-2009 | 01:07 PM

Craig ,

You're right about leasing , if the financing rates are same.

When I bought my 2007 , financing was at 1.9%/36m , but the leasing for 36 or 48 months was at 3.9%.

After 3 years , I think I'm better off with my financing. I know that financing vs leasing is also about monthly cash flow.
If you can afford it is better to finance . Acura ,almost, always had financing rate better than leasing rates for same period.

Just a thought.
Old 08-06-2009 | 12:08 PM
Cruisin'

He said Taxes and fees included. In Canada this means 5% Federal Goods and Services Tax and 8% Ontario Retail Sales Tax adding 13% to the price of everything we buy including cars. Also there are one time levies for Air Conditioning and Fuel Efficiency (Gas Guzzler tax) applied to the purchase price plus standard bank charges and financing fees. If you buy in the US all these still get applied at the border and then some, plus no warranty. They also get applied to Accords.

But we have "free" health care.
Old 08-06-2009 | 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by EmilioLizardo
He said Taxes and fees included. In Canada this means 5% Federal Goods and Services Tax and 8% Ontario Retail Sales Tax adding 13% to the price of everything we buy including cars. Also there are one time levies for Air Conditioning and Fuel Efficiency (Gas Guzzler tax) applied to the purchase price plus standard bank charges and financing fees. If you buy in the US all these still get applied at the border and then some, plus no warranty. They also get applied to Accords.

But we have "free" health care.
OK, other than the warranty piece, let's do the math. In the US, the FWD TL can be had for $35k. Add 13% to this and you have $39550. Sounds to me like this is stilla pretty far cry from the ~$47k he's paying. May still make sense for you guys to buy down here and buy your own warranties.

But what do I know?
Old 08-06-2009 | 01:51 PM

PsychDoc

39.5K is ok if you pay cash.

If you consider financing from a bank (7-8% or more ?) and not from Acura (2.9%/48m right now) we add another 2-3k or more. Another small fees (enable DRL , inspection) and all the papers for customs , your time , at bottom line is not too much to save against all the "problems" that may occur during paper work and you end up with no WARANTY.

Back on 2007 when 1 CAD was almost 1.1 US , maybe.
Old 08-06-2009 | 02:55 PM
Cruisin'

OK, other than the warranty piece, let's do the math. In the US, the FWD TL can be had for $35k. Add 13% to this and you have $39550. Sounds to me like this is stilla pretty far cry from the ~$47k he's paying. May still make sense for you guys to buy down here and buy your own warranties.

But what do I know?
I believe he said it was the Tech which is a USD $3,500 premium plus the skirts which are $1,800 or so (at least in Canada). Which puts it up over USD $40,000 and taking the average exchange rate for the past 3 months puts it at just over CAD $45,000. I looked into this last December when I bought mine. Just not that much in it versus the hassles and Acura's active opposition (see warranties).