Weighing my options

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 08:36 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weighing my options

I'm coming off an S2000 lease (actually ended this month, extended month to month until I decide on something new) and want something a little more practical yet still fun to drive. I've been focusing on the G37xS, mainly because it seems like it would still have the fun factor while being big enough to carry a couple sets of golf clubs. And to be perfectly honest, when I seen the TL last year I just couldn't believe the styling. Now after looking at it for awhile, I have to admit, I like the styling better then the G with the exception of the bright chrome grill. I've seen the painted one and a couple aftermarket that look better but I'm not going to get hung up on one little thing. Anyway, onto the questions...

The one thing I really liked about the Infiniti was the 7 speed transition. Seems like it would be fun to play around with the gears and for the most part they seemed pretty smooth. (granted this is just what I gathered from a test drive and what I've read from others) Now I know the TL also has the paddle shifters but how is it to drive in this mode? I don't really see a lot of comments from people talking about driving in this pseudo manual mode, so that's why I ask. And yes I did see there was supposed to be a 6 speed manual next year, which I'm considering but it's going to be hard to pass up 2-3k below invoice on an 09.

Also does anyone have or could you take a picture of the trunk space with a set of their golf clubs in there? Just trying to get an idea of how much room there really is.

Anyone else here seriously consider the G37 and end up with the TL? If so, assuming you ended with the TL being on this forum, what was it that drew you to the TL over the G? And do you still think you made the right decision? Seems equally equipped with the same $2000 marketing support they should be pretty close in price. Also I'm not looking for a street racer, so half to a full second 0-60 is not an issue. Now playing around in the corners or on twisty highway is different story ;-)

Thanks in advance...

Mike
Old 06-17-2009, 09:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
The paddle shifters are useless IMO. Downshifts are ok but upshifts take about half a second at least and it's not really involving. The S mode will shift at higher rpm but that's about the only difference between D and S.

I also looked at the G37S coupe for a while. Good car but the interior wasn't really my taste and after sitting in one and test driving it, I was a bit dissapointed overall. The 6speed manual didn't feel that smooth either. I was going to spend 5k more and go with the 335i but snatched the TL at a good price.

The TL is slower than the G but a lot roomier and the handling of the SH-AWD is fantastic. Definitely recommend the SH-AWD over FWD especially if you're coming from a S2000. I also am one of the few who likes the button happy console and the beak...
Old 06-17-2009, 11:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I also test drove the G (and a 335i) prior to getting the TL. I loved the G's performance and value but the interior to me was too dated and the car is also just too damn common these days. I liked the 4G's unique style and the performance is more than good enough in the real world. The 4G also has a much better interior than the Infiniti. I also agree the paddle shifters are just too gimmicky.

The other car which I think comes closest to emulating the TL's style and performance is the Caddy CTS. I love the CTS's exterior....probably more so than my TL......and the interior is also very good. The drawbacks, of course, is resale value and reliability.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:26 PM
Olu
Instructor

Originally Posted by SlipperyPete
I'm coming off an S2000 lease (actually ended this month, extended month to month until I decide on something new) and want something a little more practical yet still fun to drive. I've been focusing on the G37xS, mainly because it seems like it would still have the fun factor while being big enough to carry a couple sets of golf clubs. And to be perfectly honest, when I seen the TL last year I just couldn't believe the styling. Now after looking at it for awhile, I have to admit, I like the styling better then the G with the exception of the bright chrome grill. I've seen the painted one and a couple aftermarket that look better but I'm not going to get hung up on one little thing. Anyway, onto the questions...

The one thing I really liked about the Infiniti was the 7 speed transition. Seems like it would be fun to play around with the gears and for the most part they seemed pretty smooth. (granted this is just what I gathered from a test drive and what I've read from others) Now I know the TL also has the paddle shifters but how is it to drive in this mode? I don't really see a lot of comments from people talking about driving in this pseudo manual mode, so that's why I ask. And yes I did see there was supposed to be a 6 speed manual next year, which I'm considering but it's going to be hard to pass up 2-3k below invoice on an 09.

Also does anyone have or could you take a picture of the trunk space with a set of their golf clubs in there? Just trying to get an idea of how much room there really is.

Anyone else here seriously consider the G37 and end up with the TL? If so, assuming you ended with the TL being on this forum, what was it that drew you to the TL over the G? And do you still think you made the right decision? Seems equally equipped with the same $2000 marketing support they should be pretty close in price. Also I'm not looking for a street racer, so half to a full second 0-60 is not an issue. Now playing around in the corners or on twisty highway is different story ;-)

Thanks in advance...

Mike
I was in your boat. Hated the TL initially and was dead set on the G37xS. I liked the speed of the G37. These were some of my reasons to go with the TL

1. The G was very cramped. I felt like my legs were rubbing against the console. There's also less shoulder room, trunk space, and rear seat space.
2. Tech is similar but not as refined. Nav screen is lo-res, voice command is slower, iPod integration was slower...etc. Sound system wasn't even close.
3. Thrashy sound to the engine. The TL really sings in the higher RPMs with a nice baritone sound in the exhaust.
4. TL seemed more planted handling. The SH-AWD really works.
5. G37s are around a dime a dozen
6. I've grown to love the look of TL, grill and all.
7. G37xS was $2000 more the what I got on my TL.

As for Manual vs S vs D. I've been playing with these a lot lately.

D: Very tame shifting pattern. The paddle shifters will down shift for you one gear initially (can't tap them twice to drop 2 gears). Dropping one gear helps with the initial automatic lag, when you know you're about to gun it. Automatic takes over if you're a) not decelerating or b) only mildly accelerating.

S: Is a great shifting program. It will shift earlier if you are light on the gas, but if you're heavy on the throttle it will hold the gear almost till redline before shifting. VERY aggressive. VERY fun.

M: I actually have been using this exclusively for the last week to try it out. Will not upshift until you hit the paddle. Great because you can upshift and downshift 2 gears at a time. I'm getting 1mpg better then D, because you can start in 2nd and upshift sooner when driving mildly. M WILL down shift for you when you're rpms drop to low (generally drops sooner up hills).

I disagree with jwjang86. Each of the modes serve their own purpose, play with them and see. Up shifts are not as rapid as DSG, but about the time it takes for a normal (not racing) manual shifts.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:40 PM
I feel strongly both ways

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I looked at and drove the G. As others have said, the interior is no match for the TL. And it's cramped with a back seat that isn't really very useful for anything other than kids. And the nav system is clearly dated and inferior to that in the TL. It goes like hell but that's about it. I wanted a little more than that and the TL fit my criteria to a tee.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:27 PM
My beer fridge is in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i agree completely and wholly with Olu. the crampedness in the G is something i wasn't expecting. The stereo and interior are far superior in the TL.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:46 PM
Intermediate

FYI - no pictures, but I have had 3 golf bags in the trunk on a couple occasions.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:03 PM
10th Gear

Thank you all for your input, this is very good information so far. Here was kind of my pro’s/con’s list I was putting together and seems like I’m not alone. The G37 is faster if you’re concerned with 0-60 but the width of the TL along with the true AWD makes handling on the TL better. While the G has a 7 speed auto, auto is pretty much auto no matter how you package it. The TL has a much better radio and navigation package, a true geeks paradise. This one may seem stupid to some but the actual TPMS readout is a big plus to me. I have this in my 04 truck and can’t believe a 40k car only shows that a tire is low and nothing more. I do like the power tilt/telescoping wheel in the G, makes the entry/exit and memory option a plus. And then styling, while this is very subjective, my nod goes to the TL.

All this said, sounds like the $2000 marketing support ended this month and the AWD tech TL’s are starting to go for a bit more then a month or two ago. So now I may be in a waiting game with Acura. I mean if I’m going to pay invoice I think I would rather have the manual ;-)

One final plus for the TL…AcuraZine, you guys are awesome. The Infiniti forum seems like its all about dropping, tinting and clear bras. This same question posed there gets you bashing on the styling and not whole lot of constructive comparisons.

One last question regarding extended warranties, does the dealership still give a loaner vehicle if you need service after the 4 year initial warranty?
Old 06-19-2009, 05:53 AM
My beer fridge is in

At least at the dealership i go to any service, other than an oil change, you get a loaner car. Whether it is under warranty or not. even scheduled maintenance. You just have to tell them you need a loaner.
Old 06-19-2009, 06:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,183 Likes on 1,211 Posts
OP- it will be a matter of time before there are threads and repeat threads on a daily basis about drops, tint, wheels, and the like. Go check out 3G TL and you will see what I am talking about.

Regarding your question about loaners, I still get loaners on my 05 TL from my local dealer and I have been out of warranty for quite some time now.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:09 AM
Olu
Instructor

Originally Posted by SlipperyPete

All this said, sounds like the $2000 marketing support ended this month and the AWD tech TL’s are starting to go for a bit more then a month or two ago. So now I may be in a waiting game with Acura. I mean if I’m going to pay invoice I think I would rather have the manual ;-)
Good luck. I think it's going to be very difficult getting invoice on the manual TL.

We'll see.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
I went back and forth for 2 weeks over G35/G37 and TL AWD. I love the G styling, better than my TL, but the G technology is what turned me off and the fact that the TL was far quietier inside. The G had more road noise and the NAV is small and you are locked out while driving other than some limited voice commands. The SOW sounds system is better than the 3G TL ELS, btu the 4G ELS blows the dooors off the G. The AWD TL rides real nice and corners like glue, the G leans more. The G truck is small and opening is even smaller. The G engine is a rocket (3.5 or 3.7) and will smoke the TL, but that is about it. In the end I foudn the TL far more refined and a better ride over the G. I am curious to see how Infiniti does ont he 3G G sedan, if they can comete with technology next go round I may swing that way, I suspect the Type-S in 2012 will add another $2-3K and that is begining to get too pricey for me and by then I'll be sick of this beak.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:02 AM
10th Gear

Olu. Where did you end up buying from? Prime? What kind of pricing did you pay?

I'm actually the guy that showed you the G37x in Norwood.

Might sound weird but I'm in the market for a TL now. I believe I told you that I owned an 07 TL-S.

The only reason so you know that I'm considering the TL is

Cheaper

New model ( I trade my cars in every year or two ), so I won't be getting rid of it when there is a newer model out.

I like the looks

and I drive the G's all the time anyway. Makes no sense to buy something I can drive for free.
Old 06-20-2009, 10:55 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I owned an 07 G35x. My lead foot and I absolutely adored that car lol. Here's my breakdown on G vs TL:

For the G

Speed and handling is far superior to the TL
AWD practically standard, no decision to make in that dept.
Roomier trunk
Better styling on the front end
Your average douchebag CANNOT pull up to the right of you at a light and beat you lol

For the TL

Far roomier and more comfortable for everyone
Nav, voice control, and all around tech package in it obliterates the G
The sound quality is light years better
Decent pickup. You'll beat MOST average douchebags, but some of em will win lol.

Everyone else has said the above as well, but I thought I'd confirm it from an owner's standpoint =) Honestly, you cannot go wrong with either car, and I have a hard time saying I like one better than the other. I loved the speed and handling of the G, but I love equally as much the tech and comfort of the TL. You absolutely cannot go wrong either way. If you're a big guy like me, the comfort and room in the TL is a BIG difference though.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:59 AM
Olu
Instructor

Originally Posted by chris.chase.1981
Olu. Where did you end up buying from? Prime? What kind of pricing did you pay?

I'm actually the guy that showed you the G37x in Norwood.

Might sound weird but I'm in the market for a TL now. I believe I told you that I owned an 07 TL-S.

The only reason so you know that I'm considering the TL is

Cheaper

New model ( I trade my cars in every year or two ), so I won't be getting rid of it when there is a newer model out.

I like the looks

and I drive the G's all the time anyway. Makes no sense to buy something I can drive for free.
Hey Chris. I went with Prime. I got the TL for 38,700 with 3 year road hazard warranty for any damage to the wheels or tires. I think they would've gone lower since they took my 1st offer. As an Infinity salesman, you definitely should weigh in on your thoughts.
Old 06-22-2009, 05:20 PM
Instructor

Interior quality is important also. After looking at used G's with the chipping painted plastic on the steering wheel controls, I was pretty disappointed. It wasn't just one, it was 4/5 used 2007 G35x sedans. IMO the G steering wheel in its entirety is of lower quality than the Z's wheel.

The metal on the shifter scratches easily as well, and the leather didn't appear to hold up as well as used Acura TLs. Maybe G owners are just more rough on their vehicles typically?

Originally Posted by hydr0
I owned an 07 G35x. My lead foot and I absolutely adored that car lol. Here's my breakdown on G vs TL:

For the G

Speed and handling is far superior to the TL
AWD practically standard, no decision to make in that dept.
Roomier trunk
Better styling on the front end
Your average douchebag CANNOT pull up to the right of you at a light and beat you lol

For the TL

Far roomier and more comfortable for everyone
Nav, voice control, and all around tech package in it obliterates the G
The sound quality is light years better
Decent pickup. You'll beat MOST average douchebags, but some of em will win lol.

Everyone else has said the above as well, but I thought I'd confirm it from an owner's standpoint =) Honestly, you cannot go wrong with either car, and I have a hard time saying I like one better than the other. I loved the speed and handling of the G, but I love equally as much the tech and comfort of the TL. You absolutely cannot go wrong either way. If you're a big guy like me, the comfort and room in the TL is a BIG difference though.
I'm surprised you consider the G's handling better than the TL's. There's definitely no question in straight line acceleration, but I had no problem getting higher exit speeds in turns with the TL compared to the G.

I tested both on this road.

Maybe it's because the TL is so much wider that I had an easier time, while the G37x Sedan wasn't even as wide as my Z, or it's just driving style. There's also the fact that the TL's steering feel is more numb.

I agree with your overall statement. I don't think there's really a wrong choice.