Warranty Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 07:44 AM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Warranty Issue

I have a CPO '12 Tl SH AWD

Spoke to my service adviser as well as the service manager and they informed me that in most cases, when changing to aftermarket springs or coilovers, it will void the warranty on the suspension only. It's not something they recommend.

I want to get 20's but will only get them if I lower the car and I won't lower the car unless my warranty remains intact. (Dealership can be sneaky when it comes to warranty claims as the bulk of their revenue comes from repairs. From my understanding, most dealerships see 60% of their revenue from vehicle repairs alone, followed by used car sales and finally new car sales.)

Has anyone lowered their vehicle and have problems getting a claim repaired under warranty? Or is the dealership just blowing hot air?
Old 01-04-2014, 09:07 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
if its ever a problem i would put the normal suspension back on and take the car in ... doubt it will be a big issue
The following users liked this post:
User Error (01-07-2014)
Old 01-04-2014, 10:06 AM
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
If you replace the struts and springs with coilovers, what other suspension parts are left for warranty coverage aside from bushings, end links and swaybars? I've never had any suspension component fail under warranty.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:36 AM
The Original Shawdy

Received 423 Likes on 346 Posts
I'm curious as well. I haven't spoken to my dealer yet. I have a lot of friends that work at Acura so I gotta stop by and ask.

I did go with my brother yesterday to pick up his new 2013 Honda Fit Sport. He's planning on a full Mugen conversion head to toe and have it ready for summer. I decide to ask the service department about modding and warranty since it'll be 3 years until he can touch suspension. The service advisor said, "Any modding will void the warranty." I laughed and said, "So he can't even take off his bumpers and swap them to Mugen?" After that, he told me that any aftermarket part that Honda sells specifically thru the dealer will not void the warranty... So from that I am confused. Honda like Acura does sell performance parts like springs, intake, etc... Which are the same mods we do outside the dealer. Granted they want the money and are willing to allow you to use their aftermarket parts. So my brother got a little lucky since in Japan, the fit comes with factory Mugen options. Bumpers, exhaust, suspension and so on.

All in all. I guess we can mod as long as we use Acura/CT-Engineering parts only. Not all service departments are the same however. Any more input would be nice! My brother and a friend who just bought a new Legacy both want to say, "Screw it" and buy coilovers anyway. Lol

I'm ok with buying and swapping back and forth the suspension. What other mods have everyone done under warranty? That's the real question.

Last edited by carbonTSEX; 01-04-2014 at 10:40 AM.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:49 AM
Racer

Received 234 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Chefpaul10
I have a CPO '12 Tl SH AWD

Spoke to my service adviser as well as the service manager and they informed me that in most cases, when changing to aftermarket springs or coilovers, it will void the warranty on the suspension only. It's not something they recommend.

I want to get 20's but will only get them if I lower the car and I won't lower the car unless my warranty remains intact. (Dealership can be sneaky when it comes to warranty claims as the bulk of their revenue comes from repairs. From my understanding, most dealerships see 60% of their revenue from vehicle repairs alone, followed by used car sales and finally new car sales.)

Has anyone lowered their vehicle and have problems getting a claim repaired under warranty? Or is the dealership just blowing hot air?
This is 100% correct. Modifying the suspension by letter of the 'warranty book' will void the warranty, however, it's all up to the dealer. I've talked to service guys who just ignore it and get the car fixed. If you have a good standing relationship with your dealer then it shouldn't be a problem, if you never go there except for like your free oil change then don't expect many favors.

I would personally go ahead and get the rims/suspension you would want. I couldn't imagine too much going wrong with the suspension on the car. Even if it does void the warranty and the dealer won't fix anything under warranty the parts aren't to terribly expensive. Cheers.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:26 AM
Account closed

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
The Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act

Dealerships must PROVE the aftermarket part you installed caused the failure. With a suspension you would not have many issues.

I have used this more than one time in issues about aftermarket parts on many types of cars (Mostly Honda) and normally there are no issues when it comes to proving the part that failed was not caused by the installed aftermarket part.

Use good parts, not cheap crap and you'll be fine.

Drop her down and go
Old 01-05-2014, 08:44 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by carbonTSEX
He's planning on a full Mugen conversion head to toe and have it ready for summer. I decide to ask the service department about modding and warranty since it'll be 3 years until he can touch suspension. The service advisor said, "Any modding will void the warranty." I laughed and said, "So he can't even take off his bumpers and swap them to Mugen?" After that, he told me that any aftermarket part that Honda sells specifically thru the dealer will not void the warranty... So from that I am confused.
The Fit is a very different matter from your TL.

HPD campaigns a Fit, and so does Mugen (including its American franchiser) and Spoon. These are all companies closely associated with Honda, and Honda dealers are offered the opportunity to become associated with Honda-related campaigns like HPD and Honda Challenge.

The parts sold through dealerships in association with these programmes are well thought out and relatively mild modifications, things sold so that you can associate yourself in support of these programmes without actually making your car hard to drive on the street, and without causing performance and reliability issues.

Nobody campaigns the TL. It's a big complicated car and they don't even bother trying to sell "A-Spec" appearance parts for it. It's further hindered insofar as mild aftermarket parts and appearance items because the TL is a rare and expensive import in the Japanese market. Although Ichishima's personal car was a 2005-generation RL (Legend) that he modified a little bit, I doubt he's ever even been behind the wheel of a 4G TL or studied how the kinds of modifications he (Spoon) and Mugen usually do would affect the electronics of the 4G TL.

Everything's interconnected...the various electronic safety systems depend on each other. ABS, VSA and the electronic limiter depend on feedback from each other to decide how to act.

For whatever one stupid old man's opinion is worth, the 4G TL is not the right car to be modifying, notwithstanding the Hondata and HPD project car two years ago. If it had worked out well, they'd still be showing it! :-)
Old 01-05-2014, 10:52 AM
The Original Shawdy

I understand that completely. The TL is not for modding. But they do still have a few parts from C/T Engineering thru the dealer. Very limited though. TL is a good platform for appearance mods. Not performance.

Sucks because the TSX got a lot of love from those companies being the Honda Accord everywhere else but the states/Canada. But even with those parts. Acura would still give you a hassle.

Wanna stay hassle free and keep your warranty intact. Don't mod outside your 3 years. Simple as that. If you're knowledgable to do most of your own work. Then I'd say go for it! Or if you just straight up don't care and just want that low life like a lot of us on here. Don't wait! Haha

Last edited by carbonTSEX; 01-05-2014 at 11:02 AM.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:46 PM
Drifting

Received 416 Likes on 365 Posts
CT-E no longer enjoys that sort of prestige as Mugen does in the eyes of Honda/Acura.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:28 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Strippers4Me
The Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act

Dealerships must PROVE the aftermarket part you installed caused the failure. With a suspension you would not have many issues.

I have used this more than one time in issues about aftermarket parts on many types of cars (Mostly Honda) and normally there are no issues when it comes to proving the part that failed was not caused by the installed aftermarket part.

Use good parts, not cheap crap and you'll be fine.

Drop her down and go

Agreed. My 3G was heavily modified (Suspension, intake, exhaust etc) and I still got a lot of stuff serviced under the warranty. I think they take it by a case by case basis and whether you use good parts. I plan on getting the tein super streets or street advance (Heard the street advance are better) so I don't think I would have an issue.

In about 2-3 months, I'll get the work done.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:29 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by amill
If you replace the struts and springs with coilovers, what other suspension parts are left for warranty coverage aside from bushings, end links and swaybars? I've never had any suspension component fail under warranty.
Good point.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:30 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by VQPower37
if its ever a problem i would put the normal suspension back on and take the car in ... doubt it will be a big issue
That's a lot of work to do every time you want to take the car in for a service problem. I know guys that do it but I just think it's a lot of work. Especially the coilovers where you need to remove the back seat to get it done.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:14 PM
The Original Shawdy

That's a lot of work to do every time you want to take the car in for a service problem. I know guys that do it but I just think it's a lot of work. Especially the coilovers where you need to remove the back seat to get it done.
Easier then springs!
Old 01-06-2014, 04:36 PM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
dude.. if anything goes wrong, put stock shit back on and bring it to dealer.. either way its 95% of the time going to be cheaper for you to swap the originals back on instead of paying the stealership and risk to void your warranty
The following users liked this post:
User Error (01-07-2014)
Old 01-07-2014, 02:21 PM
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by potmilkz
dude.. if anything goes wrong, put stock shit back on and bring it to dealer.. either way its 95% of the time going to be cheaper for you to swap the originals back on instead of paying the stealership and risk to void your warranty

This is why my stock springs are in the Tein box in my shed and my stock wheels are stacked in the garage... we've taken the car in for interior related issues while being lowered and on the vossens and never had problems. If something related to the suspension was to go out i'll have the car towed home, put it back to stock then tow it to the dealer... granted the service guys at my dealer all drive lowered tricked out Acura's and they hang out at the meets so they are more into the modded lifestyle but it shouldn't be an issue if I need it fixed... once it's back to stock prove it wasn't at the time of defect...
Old 01-07-2014, 02:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Its not like you have to swap back because of a HVAC issue or SRS issue. If it were something suspension related and its aftermarket it really isnt a Warranty issue as the stock suspension isnt on the car anymore. Plus like above, The Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act states that the dealer has to prove that the modification on the car was the cause of the issue that you are bringing it in for.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:44 PM
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 72 Posts

Coil overs are easier than springs but that's another conversation... and no you don't pull it every time you take it to the dealer... just if it's suspension related (which is so super rare) or something major like a blown motor or tranny something very expensive they would try to deny the claim on. If your AC goes out or a dash light isn't working I'm not pulling the springs out of the car come on be realistic...
Old 01-09-2014, 02:13 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by User Error
Coil overs are easier than springs but that's another conversation... and no you don't pull it every time you take it to the dealer... just if it's suspension related (which is so super rare) or something major like a blown motor or tranny something very expensive they would try to deny the claim on. If your AC goes out or a dash light isn't working I'm not pulling the springs out of the car come on be realistic...

Of course I met suspension related. That's self explanatory.(I hope)
Old 01-09-2014, 08:49 AM
Drifting

Received 416 Likes on 365 Posts
Leave your car stock, sounds like it suits you best.