4G TL (2009-2014)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Newbie to AZ community-advice needed please!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 01:14 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Newbie to AZ community-advice needed please!!

Hello to all AZ members
Im new to AZ forum, if I post an old thread please forgive!
I just a bought a 2009 TL base with no rear deck lid and I would like to install one on my TL.
I'm looking to buy one as soon as I get some advices from AZ members.
I have been looking online for a deck lid wether from eBay of aftermarket brand or Oem from Acura dealers but could not decided yet because I have no experience with either ones. My situation is trying to save some money for some other mods in the near future as well.
I found one on eBay with a painted deck lid for my TL color for $138 free shipping and one from DCH Acura dealer for $300 with $12 shipping.
Any members have experienced the aftermarket brand and how is the color matches? Is it ok to put it on with just the automotive grade 3M adhesive without drilling the holes, would it survive in the rough cold weather in the MIdwest?
I'm so undecided right now because of lack experience.
Any inputs are greatly appreciated.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:02 AM
Drifting

Received 672 Likes on 542 Posts
Sorry,i can't comment on the quality of the aftermarket spoiler,however i can tell you that the original unit is mounted with bolts and adhesive.Personally i would not use two way tape alone to mount it.
The following users liked this post:
TLJVN (04-17-2013)
Old 04-16-2013, 06:29 AM
Drifting

Received 416 Likes on 365 Posts
Also remember you need the accessory trunk spoiler not the one that comes on tech package and up models. That being said I don't know how much it cost but I think I get arranged for you to get it for less than 312.
TLJVN (04-16-2013)
Old 04-16-2013, 06:39 AM
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 91 Posts
I bought one of ebay the color match is pretty good, and i drilled holes plus used the 3m tape that came with it.
TLJVN (04-17-2013)
Old 04-16-2013, 10:09 AM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by purextc
I bought one of ebay the color match is pretty good, and i drilled holes plus used the 3m tape that came with it.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:15 AM

Received 1,020 Likes on 792 Posts
you can put a tech spoiler without it being a tech..

there is a major difference between a base offered wing and a tech wing.. just so everyone knows...

the tech wing is vastly bigger than the non-tech wing.. i know because ive seen it and VIVMIKE has one. did a comparison
TLJVN (04-16-2013)
Old 04-16-2013, 11:54 AM
Drifting

Which did you like more? I've also seen the non tech one in person and liked it more. There's also no reason for someone without tech to get a wing (aesthetics aside) since they won't be able to use its features but will pay more because of them.
TLJVN (04-17-2013)
Old 04-16-2013, 07:38 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by potmilkz
you can put a tech spoiler without it being a tech..

there is a major difference between a base offered wing and a tech wing.. just so everyone knows...

the tech wing is vastly bigger than the non-tech wing.. i know because ive seen it and VIVMIKE has one. did a comparison
Thank u so.much for this valuable info
I really like the look of the rear deck lid on the TL tech package. If indeed the aftermarket one is smaller then I'll definitely get the OEM one.
Please let me know what I should do before buying one.
Thanks
Old 04-17-2013, 12:27 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by purextc
Thank so much for the input
How is the rear deck lid holding up for u so far?
Did u get the OEM or the aftermarket one?
If aftermarket, is the rear deck lid size the same as the OEM on the TL tech package? The reason I'm asking this because I made a phone call to one of the Acura vendor here on AcuraZine but he kinda confused me on the dimension of the lid for the tech package and the one for the base TL.
Thanks in advance
Old 04-17-2013, 12:35 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by HeartTLs
Which did you like more? I've also seen the non tech one in person and liked it more. There's also no reason for someone without tech to get a wing (aesthetics aside) since they won't be able to use its features but will pay more because of them.
Hi HeartTLs
Do u remember how the aftermarket rear deck lid look on the TL? Is it the same size as the one on the tech package?
I'm trying to gather as much info as possible before buying on for my TL because I really like the look of the TL with the rear deck lid on.
Thanks in advance
Old 04-17-2013, 09:29 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by TLJVN
Hi HeartTLs
Do u remember how the aftermarket rear deck lid look on the TL? Is it the same size as the one on the tech package?
I'm trying to gather as much info as possible before buying on for my TL because I really like the look of the TL with the rear deck lid on.
Thanks in advance
A friend of mine has it in his base and it does look better than the tech rear spoiler, it looks a little thinner and its cut different at the ends. I believe the non tech is a little less quared of at the ends.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:33 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
The "Wing", more appropriately speaking, "Spoiler" on the 4G TL without Tech package is useless. There is no aerodynamic advantage to adding this piece of plastic to the back of your car. In fact, the primary reason for having the wing on the 4G was to create a place to mount the back-up camera.

IMHO the car looks better without the spoiler.

SAVE YOUR MONEY
Old 04-17-2013, 11:07 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by HeartTLs
Originally Posted by TLJVN
Hi HeartTLs
Thanks in advance

Although I'm sure there might be some afermarket alternatives I'd not advocating for you to get an afermarket one since I've never seen one online or in person that I know of.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:50 AM

i like the tech wing.. matches the car more as everything on the car is bulky.. if you have the base optional wing.. it just looks very small compared to the rest of the car.

you dont necessarily have to have tech to get the tech wing.. id get it if i got a base.. ive seen it in person and compared it.. it doesn't match the 4g period.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:09 PM

this is the base wing.

and this is the tech wing

you can see the different in shape around the edges and the overall size.. the base wing doesnt fill up the gap around the edges and leaves alot of room. The tech wing goes all the way across and fills up gaps and has a sharper edge,

and how ugly a base with no trunk spoiler looks like
TLJVN (04-17-2013)
Old 04-17-2013, 12:28 PM
2011 CBP TL Tech

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Marco
The "Wing", more appropriately speaking, "Spoiler" on the 4G TL without Tech package is useless. There is no aerodynamic advantage to adding this piece of plastic to the back of your car. In fact, the primary reason for having the wing on the 4G was to create a place to mount the back-up camera.

IMHO the car looks better without the spoiler.

SAVE YOUR MONEY
I completely disagree with Mr. Marco. The base trunk looks pretty bad (as relative as that may be). For the most part, it just simply looks like it is missing something.

As far as the base wing vs tech wing...

I would get the base wing if I have the base model (and the tech wing if i have tech).

Aesthetically, the base wing looks good to me. The angles are very nice and compliment the rear. To me, it also comes off a tad bit more aggressive than the tech wing. It's also different as most people have the tech wing. In fact, I think I've only seen one person with the base wing on this site... With that said, I don't think you can go wrong going with the base wing.

The tech wing is nice, and the size fits the proportion of the TL just fine (not that the base wing does not).

So, I don't think you can go wrong either way. I think the tech wing will look slightly out of place as there is no rear camera or button (well functionally anyway) on the tech wing...

TL;DR Tech = tech wing, base = base wing IMHO...

Good luck making the call! Believe me, I know what it's like to be undecided about these things!
Old 04-17-2013, 03:58 PM
Advanced

this is the base wing.

and this is the tech wing

you can see the different in shape around the edges and the overall size.. the base wing doesnt fill up the gap around the edges and leaves alot of room. The tech wing goes all the way across and fills up gaps and has a sharper edge,

Hi pot milk
Thank u so much for taking to answer my post
Ur information is very helpful to me
Old 01-09-2014, 11:44 PM
SOLOCG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the Tech wing flows better with the lines of the car. Does someone know the correct part # for the tech wing?

I searched under base and tech models and the picture diagrams are identical. The part number is not showing up under base model part#4 but does show up for tech model. I would be pissed if I buy the wrong wing but it seems that acuraoemparts is not selling or listing a spoiler under base anymore check it out? so can anyone confirm the one under tech is the actual real bulky spoiler?
Old 01-10-2014, 12:10 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 150 Posts
http://www.acurapartsforless.com/par...ning/trunk-lid
Old 01-10-2014, 12:36 AM
SOLOCG

Thanks for the link but as I said in my post I'm able to see a part number same as your link for the tech model TL but not when you search under base to compare.

Both base & tech have the same part picture diagram if you compare, only difference is that the spoiler is not listed for the base when you look for the part number under base TL. It seems that it's discontinued?

I just want to make sure that I'm buying the bigger spoiler and not the smaller one. There is no way to compare since the diagrams show the same spoiler and it's not helping that the base model diagram is missing the part number to compare.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:32 AM
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 72 Posts
I've bought prepainted aftermarket ones for a 3G and a 4G from thespoilerstore on ebay... loved both of them and the paint work is great... link below to my build thread with pics...
Old 01-10-2014, 06:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 150 Posts
I guess I'm confused about what you're asking but I'll try again.

The different models (Base & Tech in this case) typically use the same part picture if possible and only include/exclude the parts in the list as applicable for that model. If you want a Tech wing you have to order it from Tech model part number list which is what I listed above. I think it's recommended to also change the trunk springs (qty 2) which are also list on the same page.

The so called "smaller" wing is an accessory and is show here:
http://www.acurapartsforless.com/par...ck-lid-spoiler
Old 01-10-2014, 07:23 PM
SOLOCG

So the base wing costs $300-$350 from what your link says along with other sites with that part number 08F10-TK4-240 in PMM for example but the Tech wing from what I also see is about $150 roughly? that is very strange don't you think with the price difference. You would think the tech wing would cost more if anything.

So to be clear below of part numbers.

Base Wing in PMM
08F10-TK4-240

Tech Wing in PMM
71700-TK4-A01ZF

Is this correct.
Originally Posted by Reorge
I guess I'm confused about what you're asking but I'll try again.

The different models (Base & Tech in this case) typically use the same part picture if possible and only include/exclude the parts in the list as applicable for that model. If you want a Tech wing you have to order it from Tech model part number list which is what I listed above. I think it's recommended to also change the trunk springs (qty 2) which are also list on the same page.

The so called "smaller" wing is an accessory and is show here:
http://www.acurapartsforless.com/par...ck-lid-spoiler

Last edited by telele; 01-10-2014 at 07:27 PM.