Uber??

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 09:21 PM
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Uber??

I know this is an off topic non related to Acura and i also wanted to aplogize and hope the administrators re-located this thread in the right place but i wanted to know if there are any Acura members out there who are uber drivers? and let's discuss I started a couple days ago and it seems interesting but i think for our cars long trips would be worth it with the short trips especially city driving its too much on the gas but what are your thoughts on this program. For those of you who are asking yourself what is an uber or what is uber? Uber is a private driving service where everyone is a personal driver to do pickup and drop offs just like a limo service but with your personal car.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:02 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been driving with uber for a couple weeks. 07 TL-S with 80,000 miles, I'm averaging about $60/night ranging from 60-80 miles driven. I get about 20miles per gallon so that's just some things to consider. I do all the work on my car so factor in wear/tear also as costs. Uber takes 20% off the fares so it comes out to about $48 all day. I drive friday/Saturday nights in Chicago for 3hrs. I like the fact you get paid every Thursday (direct deposit) meet new people. It's not bad for some extra cash but not sure if you could make it a full time job. Vehicles have to be 2004 or newer sedans.
Use promo code: 0eh4t and receive $20 off your first ride with uber!
Old 08-04-2014, 03:31 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jdmjon51
I've been driving with uber for a couple weeks. 07 TL-S with 80,000 miles, I'm averaging about $60/night ranging from 60-80 miles driven. I get about 20miles per gallon so that's just some things to consider. I do all the work on my car so factor in wear/tear also as costs. Uber takes 20% off the fares so it comes out to about $48 all day. I drive friday/Saturday nights in Chicago for 3hrs. I like the fact you get paid every Thursday (direct deposit) meet new people. It's not bad for some extra cash but not sure if you could make it a full time job. Vehicles have to be 2004 or newer sedans.
Use promo code: 0eh4t and receive $20 off your first ride with uber!
If you factor in cost of gas at $4 per gallon, he makes approximately $32-$36 dollars for 3 hours of work. That comes to anywhere from slightly less than $11 to $12 an hour. I think pizza delivery makes more if I'm not mistaken, could be wrong. Unless you really love driving your car and are just looking for a reason to drive it, I would say at that rate your better off keeping it a personal vehicle, especially if you plan on driving it for a long time
Old 08-04-2014, 08:04 PM
5th Gear

Food delivery in Chicago pays $3 per delivery plus tips. With Uber you can drive as little or as much as you like whatever days you like, whenever you like. Just trying to give some AZers some insight if they were thinking about it. Delivery you have a certain shift/time you need to start. Like I said for a part time job Uber's not bad, full time might be a challenge. Doing your own repairs/maintenence I think is also a big factor. For a part time job for a little extra money it's either ride sharing, valet parking, food delivery. Everyone's financial situation is different. To each their own!
Old 08-05-2014, 07:50 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
I did this with my SH-AWD. It was fun- talking with people, just listening to music, the rush of getting somewhere to pick someone up- but there were downsides.

Gas mileage is terrible. 14 in the city. I made about $25-$35 gross an hour on Friday and Saturday nights in Boston but decided that it wasn't worth someone drunk getting sick in my car and all of the wear and tear on my car for the city driving.

With that being said- I made a lot on snowy nights with surge pricing, but again- I decided that the risk of someone getting sick in my car wasn't worth it.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:58 AM
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Did you guys have any odd people in your car?

Its just weird picking random people up. I would not do it just for that reason. Plus ill be pissed off if someone threw up in my backseat on one of their drunk nights.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:46 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by octoher12

Its just weird picking random people up. I would not do it just for that reason. Plus ill be pissed off if someone threw up in my backseat on one of their drunk nights.
No, pretty much everyone was under 30 and professional.

The only issue and time I ever got a bad rating was with a spoiled high school kid from the suburbs who asked me to pick some girl up for him and when I got there she said she didn't want a ride to his house.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:25 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Did you guys have any hotties in your car?

fify
Old 08-05-2014, 11:32 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts
Just a thought, and likely not applicable to every jurisdiction, but I have to think that unless you advised your insurer about the fact you were driving for Uber, they may be in a position to deny coverage should a claim arise. It will depend on the policy details, as well as what information you've already given them (eg. if they already know you deliver pizzas, they may have trouble denying).

Calling them up and letting them know that you drive for Uber might prompt them to up their premiums, though I imagine it would be a small bump. Still, that should go into your calculations.

That said, I know very little about Uber, so there might be something I'm missing.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:20 PM
5th Gear

I always have two paper bags in the car, advil, mints and gum for them. But that is my biggest fear, throw-up in the back seat!?
Old 08-06-2014, 09:07 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by jdmjon51
I always have two paper bags in the car, advil, mints and gum for them. But that is my biggest fear, throw-up in the back seat!?

I also keep a paper bag, big enough to fit over their heads so I don't have to look them in the face.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:20 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by mr marco

I also keep a paper bag, big enough to fit over their heads so i don't have to look them in the face.
lmfao!!
Old 08-06-2014, 10:59 PM
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
lol yea for my 4git was not worth it the gas mileage was terrible nd then i had to stop and start the car repeatly when im finish with a trip and before i do a pickup because with a 3.5l if you dont have to idle I dont. lol then with my interior color taupe off white there shoes would mess up my carpet and schuff up the back seat and below the air ducts. But wait there is more, the roads uber wanted me to patrol were horrible i was in Hoboken and jersey city smh -worst roads + stop and go traffic = real bad wear and tear my tires had chunks in them now. I had to return the phone to queens, ny a 30min ride turned in to 5 hours bumper to bumper.