Transmission grinding?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 02:27 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Transmission grinding?

Hi, I have 2012 TL FWD, now hit 59800 miles. since I owned it 4 years ago, have done the 6 times transmission fluid drain, maybe overkill but I know this sensitive Honda transmission jerks.
Recently noticed some weird grinding sound while slow driving along with the wall or whatever else will echo in the quiet environment at around 1100 - 1200 rpm then went away, let off the pedal, rev to 1100 range again, the sound came back.
Is this the TC lockup noise? or slippery when locking up? or it is how honda transmission works~~~ (mostly heard from dealer)

Please advise
Old 07-16-2018, 03:22 PM
Drifting

Received 853 Likes on 606 Posts
I'd have to hear it. If it's only happening at a certain RPM there's a chance it could be some sort of rattle or something that happens only at a certain frequency.

Do you feel any difference in acceleration or the way the transmission behaves when this happens? I don't think this would be TL lockup. At least mine never makes any such noise when it locks up.
Old 07-17-2018, 01:43 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by losiglow
I'd have to hear it. If it's only happening at a certain RPM there's a chance it could be some sort of rattle or something that happens only at a certain frequency.

Do you feel any difference in acceleration or the way the transmission behaves when this happens? I don't think this would be TL lockup. At least mine never makes any such noise when it locks up.
I think the transmission behaves same. but I feel once go over that rpm, 1100-1200, the whole car feels smooth.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:20 AM
Drifting

Try doing a drain and refill of the transmission fluid. Use the DW-1 Honda/Acura ATF. Sometimes fresh ATF can fix little quirks like that.

Also, it may or may not be the same problem I had, but I originally thought my transmission was having problems when accelerating from a stop. But it ended up being an engine mount that was going out, causing sort of a grinding noise during initial acceleration. I replaced it and the noise went away.
Old 09-04-2018, 01:21 PM
Racer

Try doing a drain and refill of the transmission fluid. Use the DW-1 Honda/Acura ATF. Sometimes fresh ATF can fix little quirks like that.

Also, it may or may not be the same problem I had, but I originally thought my transmission was having problems when accelerating from a stop. But it ended up being an engine mount that was going out, causing sort of a grinding noise during initial acceleration. I replaced it and the noise went away.
Hi,
yesterday, I left the car in Neutral, and revved up to the 1100. I can hear the grinding or rattling sound from engine bay. I think this can filter out the transmission issue? maybe something loose and rattle at that specific rpm range. heat shield etc based on little lookup in google
I drain and refill the atf pretty much every 2 oil change since I owned the car 4 years ago
Old 09-04-2018, 01:48 PM
Drifting

The torque converter is still spinning in park or neutral. So you're not out of the woods yet. Although it's more common for the TC to make noise or malfunction when it's engaged to the transmission, it's not an impossibility that it could be causing the noise when not engaged.

However, I'd still bet it's something unrelated to the TC. Can you get someone to rev the engine while you look in the engine bay to try to identify the sound?
Old 09-04-2018, 06:32 PM
dv-
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by lltfly
maybe something loose and rattle at that specific rpm range. heat shield etc based on little lookup in google
That is common. I've had loose exhaust/cat shields on two other cars.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:54 AM
Racer

Have the noise fixed. it is heat shield. the tech told me he bent the heat shield to not touch the place it supposes to stay even further.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:55 AM
dv-
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by lltfly
Have the noise fixed. it is heat shield. the tech told me he bent the heat shield to not touch the place it supposes to stay even further.
I love it when a plan comes together.
Old 09-26-2018, 10:04 AM
Drifting

Sweet. Glad to hear.

I immediately worry somethings wrong with the transmission whenever there's even a remote noise from the engine bay. I've had clunking from worn sway bar links, the "grinding" when accelerating (which was from the bad motor mount), as well as my alternator go out (which made that whining noise from a bad diode) - all of which I thought was the transmission when they happened. I was always relieved to find out it was a minor problem.
Old 09-26-2018, 04:50 PM
Racer

Sweet. Glad to hear.

I immediately worry somethings wrong with the transmission whenever there's even a remote noise from the engine bay. I've had clunking from worn sway bar links, the "grinding" when accelerating (which was from the bad motor mount), as well as my alternator go out (which made that whining noise from a bad diode) - all of which I thought was the transmission when they happened. I was always relieved to find out it was a minor problem.
because the tranny is so expensive. and this 6 speed is weak on TC. I am worrying same thing like you when hear the weird sound