**HELP PLEASE**Grinding steering wheel after shop fixed transmission**HELP PLEASE**

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 06:21 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
**HELP PLEASE**Grinding steering wheel after shop fixed transmission**HELP PLEASE**

I had my 2005 Acura TL transmission repaired in the shop last week. I noticed last week that there was quite a bit of oil/transmisison fluid dripping from my transmission. I took it to the shop and they said my 3rd gear "piston" was destroyed. They showed me where metal was wearing and the spring had been stretched out.... I go to pick up my car and then I realize that the steering wheel column now makes a grinding noise when i make small adjustments. This grinding noise is only audible whenever the car is not moving or rolling into a parking space. It is almost like a grind or a "click click" type of noise.

The manager is telling me that this is not due to their work but I find it be an extreme coincidence that this happened immediately after they took my transmission out. They are saying they did not remove the steering rack in order to remove the transmission. Don't you have to remove the steering rack in order to remove the transmission in an automatic 2005 Acura TL?

Is this common and could you please give me some insight as to why this could be happening. I have already told them that they need to fix it but it sounds like they want to be hard headed....it will likely be a long battle.

ANY HELP WOULD BE SUCH A GREAT HELP!
Old 05-08-2012, 08:06 PM
10th Gear

I just had my trans replaced in my 05 and it doesnt make any sound in my column so it sounds like they did something.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 831 Likes on 679 Posts
As the subframe is removed to survice the trans, maybe this TSB:
Steering Feels Notchy? Check the U-Joint Phasing
Currently Applies To: All models with telescopic steering
Got a vehicle with notchy steering? (When you turn the steering wheel, it feels smooth, then hard, then smooth, then hard again.) If your answer is YES, then the steering column U-joints could be out of phase. This usually happens when the subframe is removed with the steering rack still attached and the pinion shaft isn’t disconnected from the steering column shaft. When you go to remove the subframe, the lower U-joint pulls completely from the shaft.
Since the angles of the steering column shaft and the steering rack are different by design, the relationship of the upper and lower U-joints is critical to ensure smooth steering. If the lower U-joint isn’t reinstalled just right, you’ll wind up with this problem.
To fix it, just line up the white paint marks on the lower U-joint and steering column shaft. If there aren’t any paint marks, find a known-good vehicle and follow these steps:
1. Find and project the center lines of the upper and lower U-joints onto the steering column shaft.
2. Measure the offset by counting the number of splines between those two center lines.
3. Line up the lower U-joint of the vehicle you’re working on to match that offset.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:01 PM
10th Gear

So this is a type of problem that could be the result of removing the transmission and installing incorrectly?

Manager at the body shop said the lead technician thinks this problem could not be their doing. Like I said, I have never heard this noise before having my transmission removed and fixed last week.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:29 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 831 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by jhus849
So this is a type of problem that could be the result of removing the transmission and installing incorrectly?

Manager at the body shop said the lead technician thinks this problem could not be their doing. Like I said, I have never heard this noise before having my transmission removed and fixed last week.
This usually happens when the subframe is removed with the steering rack still attached and the pinion shaft isn’t disconnected from the steering column shaft. When you go to remove the subframe, the lower U-joint pulls completely from the shaft.

Guess you had better ask them the above, or check the column to see if the white marks are lined up, no white marks?????????
Old 05-31-2012, 07:55 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You guys are my savior. I had my transmission rebuilt last week and after getting my car back, I started hearing popping noise when I turn the steering wheel all the way in either direction. It seemed to have gotten worse because now it makes 3-4 popping noise in either direction instead of just once. When the car is lifted on a jack, the noise goes away.

Calling the guy back today to tell him about the steering rack because he couldn't figure out why it was making a noise. From what I read here, it makes sense to me and I am not mechanically inclined.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:31 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by HyperVTEC
You guys are my savior. I had my transmission rebuilt last week and after getting my car back, I started hearing popping noise when I turn the steering wheel all the way in either direction. It seemed to have gotten worse because now it makes 3-4 popping noise in either direction instead of just once. When the car is lifted on a jack, the noise goes away.

Calling the guy back today to tell him about the steering rack because he couldn't figure out why it was making a noise. From what I read here, it makes sense to me and I am not mechanically inclined.

- im in the same boat as you man, after i got my transmission rebuilt at the aamco in gaithersburg, md my steering rack went bad and the throttle body as well. and they won't man up to it. don't ever go there!! spread the word