Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

TL maybe scrapped? Maybe a new model?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 06:32 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
TL maybe scrapped? Maybe a new model?

Thought you guys might be interested in this latest article from Motor Trend. It gives more information of the company direction and model enhancements.

They aren't too clear about a redesign of the TL or scrapping the car. You guys make the call.

http://wot.motortrend.com/acura-inve...#axzz2MWgCzpEe
Old 03-03-2013, 06:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
that'd be nuts if they scrap the tl ... i think they will replace the tl ... with the TLX so i suppose in theory its a new name, but everyone will associate it with the outgoing 4g tl
The following users liked this post:
Mr Marco (03-03-2013)
Old 03-03-2013, 06:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
This is not new news or a new rumor, the TSX goes away and the TL morphs into the TLX which will still be based on the Accord.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
KeithL...I am not quite sure about your argument that the TSX will go away. Honda has confirmed that the Euro Accord will get an update and still exist, which is our TSX.

I agree with others...the TL as we know it will be abandoned for a new moniker...the TLX (as the RL morphed into the RLX). The new TLX will be a bit shorter and will offer the 3.5 DI engine and will be the "bread and butter" for Acura. I agree though, that for Acura to succeed, it need to hit a home run with the TLX, and with the revised engine for the ILX, that would suffice for Acura.

If they REALLY wanted to make money and re-gain their MO-JO....make a TSX, but a TSX COUPE only! Now imagine that....an ILX sedan (with a better engine and no rear noise in the suspension), the TSX coupe, an amazing HOT TLX and the RLX and NSX!

You can send me a royalty check Acura...I solved your problems
Old 03-03-2013, 07:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
KeithL...I am not quite sure about your argument that the TSX will go away. Honda has confirmed that the Euro Accord will get an update and still exist, which is our TSX.

I agree with others...the TL as we know it will be abandoned for a new moniker...the TLX (as the RL morphed into the RLX). The new TLX will be a bit shorter and will offer the 3.5 DI engine and will be the "bread and butter" for Acura. I agree though, that for Acura to succeed, it need to hit a home run with the TLX, and with the revised engine for the ILX, that would suffice for Acura.

If they REALLY wanted to make money and re-gain their MO-JO....make a TSX, but a TSX COUPE only! Now imagine that....an ILX sedan (with a better engine and no rear noise in the suspension), the TSX coupe, an amazing HOT TLX and the RLX and NSX!

Like your thinking. They need to drop the 3.5 in the ILX as well.
Call the TSX the CLX, TSX vs TLX is too similar and confusing from a marketing perspective
weather (03-03-2013)
Old 03-03-2013, 07:52 PM
Suzuka Master

There is no point to the TSX. Sure they will keep the euro accord , but with the TLX being a tad smaller than a TL what will differentiate the TLX from the TSX not to mention the model confusion with just the middle letter different? I really don't see Acura having 4 sedans.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:02 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts

It is true that Euro Accord's are being built and sold in the European markets. But this doesn't automatically means that the North American (NA) Acura will continue to sell the (rebadged) TSX, after serious overlapping in product offering is hurting overall Acura sales. If the NA market calls for it, it'll be sold here; otherwise, it will be axed.

Remember that there is also the Euro Civic selling in the European markets too, but we can only buy the North American Civic in North America. Since the Euro Civic is deemed not suitable for the NA market, the Euro Civic has no presence in North America, rebadged or not.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Keith and Edward....You both raise a good point that a Euro Accod does not automatically mean a TSX in NA. But I also recall reading somewhere (unless I had a dream) that Acura confirmed that the TSX will get redesigned and will continue to exist. Now...where did I read this?!? Hummm....

Last edited by weather; 03-03-2013 at 08:12 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Well Acura is nuts then to have 4 sedans, not with the ILX bumping right up to the TSX and then the TSX overlapping the TLX, now if they push the TLX up $5K+ to give the TSX some breathing room they may have a chance, but will alienate some TL loyalists by putting it out of reach for some.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:19 PM
6G TLX-S

It's all too confusing.

Even info about future products coming out directly from Honda Motor Corp. may not hold water.

Official programs like V8 engine, RWD chassis, diesel Acura vehicles, etc., etc., had not materialized, be Honda blamed it on the economy or everything else Honda could find an excuse for.

Now, Honda/Acura also seems to be confused like hell, and is constantly changing/updating it's product plan on a continuous basis. It may say killing this today, but will say killing the other choice tomorrow.

So it is very difficult to predict what will be axed and what will not, until the very moment we see the final vehicle inside Acura dealerships.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:28 PM
Instructor

A turbo diesel and rear wheel drive would get my attention.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
They did talk about a continuing TSX back away but I think with the ILX underperforming they are relooking at their strategy. If they have to beef up the ILX so it will sell; it will squeeze out the TSX sitting between the ILX & TLX.

As was said above it makes so sense to have a lineup of 4 sedans that overlap so much.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:39 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

def agree with you there ! except why would you call it a TSX coupe when that's already pretty much an RSX?
Old 03-03-2013, 11:12 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
If they'd make a $50,000 NSX, we wouldn't be having this conversation.....
Old 03-03-2013, 11:20 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
A possible TSX sportwagon and TSX Coupe make sense for keeping the car around so as not to compete with the TLX. Just my thought.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:09 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by Booya4139
Like your thinking. They need to drop the 3.5 in the ILX as well.
Call the TSX the CLX, TSX vs TLX is too similar and confusing from a marketing perspective
it's not as confusing as where the hell infiniti is going with their monikers.

the chnaces of a 3.5 getting dropped in to the "entry level" sedan....none. you want more speed and power...gotta move up the food chain.

Originally Posted by Treblig
A possible TSX sportwagon and TSX Coupe make sense for keeping the car around so as not to compete with the TLX. Just my thought.
^^this.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:48 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TLtrigirl

the chnaces of a 3.5 getting dropped in to the "entry level" sedan....none. you want more speed and power...gotta move up the food chain.
^^this.
True, what a mess. They hire an Audi guy and he thinks every car needs to start with same letter. Just because that works for Audi does not mean it will work for Infiniti. Funny BMW and MB do just fine without the entire lineup beginning with same letter.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:12 AM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Hamma Tyme
Thought you guys might be interested in this latest article from Motor Trend. It gives more information of the company direction and model enhancements.

They aren't too clear about a redesign of the TL or scrapping the car. You guys make the call.

http://wot.motortrend.com/acura-inve...#axzz2MWgCzpEe
The TL would be their last car to axe. It is there bread and butter and best selling Car. The mdx is the best selling Suv. The TSX would be the first to go if anything gets axed.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:20 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
True, what a mess. They hire an Audi guy and he thinks every car needs to start with same letter. Just because that works for Audi does not mean it will work for Infiniti. Funny BMW and MB do just fine without the entire lineup beginning with same letter.
Adding an 'x' on to the end of the monikers, is just as confusing as what infiniti is doing. Although in the end, the brand is what sells, not the moniker.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:34 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

at least acura is being a little consistent with only the addition of an X.

infiniti...all their sedans are a Q something, and the CUV/SUV are a QX something. they could have at least used the same numbers (35, 37 for their G series and maybe a 45/47 for the M series even though they used a 35/37). i still haven't figured out which is which with the Q whatever.

audi...all their sedans are A something while the CUV/SUV are a Q something. the thing is that audi started it out that way, so there isn't too much confusion. do you think audi is going to get a little since infiniti is overlapping with their Q monikers?

BMW has been consistent with a numbered series and so has MB with their lettering (C, E, S class, etc).
Old 03-04-2013, 08:35 AM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Regarding diesels, I would predict that Honda would first use it in a Honda, perhaps the Ridgeline, where it might make the most sense. Honda has repeatedly said that the Ridgeline is not dead, and they've already had a diesel in the works before. The engine could not pass the California emissions test, so they had to go back to the drawing board.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:01 AM
Burning Brakes

at least acura is being a little consistent with only the addition of an X.

infiniti...all their sedans are a Q something, and the CUV/SUV are a QX something. they could have at least used the same numbers (35, 37 for their G series and maybe a 45/47 for the M series even though they used a 35/37). i still haven't figured out which is which with the Q whatever.

audi...all their sedans are A something while the CUV/SUV are a Q something. the thing is that audi started it out that way, so there isn't too much confusion. do you think audi is going to get a little since infiniti is overlapping with their Q monikers?

BMW has been consistent with a numbered series and so has MB with their lettering (C, E, S class, etc).
X is awd? If you are going to confuse people a little or a lot might as well go for it, which infiniti did.

BMW is also moving away from engine displacement. It's just that they are doing it slowly.

Frankly whatever infiniti calls it, the q50 hybrid is going to be a sweet vehicle.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:27 AM
6G TLX-S

Agree. If an auto company starts doing it from day 1 and sticking to it no matter what, there is no confusion.

Confusion is caused by changing the naming scheme after people have been used to the previous names.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by g37guy01
X is awd? If you are going to confuse people a little or a lot might as well go for it, which infiniti did.

BMW is also moving away from engine displacement. It's just that they are doing it slowly.

Frankly whatever infiniti calls it, the q50 hybrid is going to be a sweet vehicle.
BMW use a X as a AWD indicator. It the lead for the SUV's & a trailer for AWD cars.

Not sure they are moving away from engine displacement since the new Coupe & Convert will be 428 & 435 to match the rest of the coupe/convert numbering system. Also read that the new 128/135 coupe/convert will be the 228/235 to finish the renumbering of the non-sedans.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 03-04-2013 at 12:08 PM.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Quite frankly, and this is just me, I am not qite sure what the big confusion is. In fact, I think its smart for Acura to go with every model having an X and just adding the AWD for those that carry that type of drivetrain.

ILX
TSX
TLX
RLX
NSX
RDX
MDX

Now if down the road, Acura would decide to come up with a different model, then change the name and make it end with an X. That is not confusing to me at all, in fact, I don't care what car companies call their vehicle. I look at the product that interest me, not specifically for the name of a product.

Could you imagine me walking to a sales person at Acura...."Good afternoon, my name is Mike and I am looking to try, and possibly buy a TL SH-AWD".

Sales person..."Sorry Mike, we don't have the TL SH-AWD anymore, we only have the TLX SH-AWD".

Mike..."Sorry, I only want a vehicle called a TL SH-AWD"

Sales person..."Have you ever seen the TLX SH-AWD?"

Mike... "Nope, I have never did any research on the vehicle I want or that needs my need, only the name"

** lol ** I know this is an extreme but still, at the end of the day, I always go on the web site, check out their offering, do my homework, go to the lot, see what they have and take them for a test drive. The name is the LEAST of my concern or confusion....If that is what will throw a customer off, boy will the salesperson have fun trying to sell them other garbage
Old 03-04-2013, 12:59 PM
Burning Brakes

It's almost an industry standard that x indicates awd. So to have a name TLx awd seems redundant.

Oh we'll, my car company is more confusing than yours.
BEAR-AvHistory (03-04-2013)
Old 03-04-2013, 01:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 100 Posts

^^this.

Ya, mercedes didn't do it with the C350 vs C300

Infiniti didn't do it with the G25 vs G37

Lexus didn't do it with the IS350 vs IS250....

Audi didn't do it with the A4 vs S4, BMW with the 328 vs 335

This is par for the course.

ILX weighs what? 3400lbs? TL weighs close to 2 tons... The idea for performance is HP/lbs...

Seems like a no brainer to do a sport package ILX with the 3.5DI...
Old 03-04-2013, 02:16 PM
6G TLX-S

I suspect that even if Acura intends to put a 3L-V6 or 3.5L-V6 into the ILX, it won't happen until the demise of the TSX.

Otherwise the V6 ILX will be very much similar to the V6 TSX, just like how the 3.7L-V6 SH-AWD TL is butchering the 2G RL sales.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:54 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Originally Posted by Booya4139

Ya, mercedes didn't do it with the C350 vs C300

Infiniti didn't do it with the G25 vs G37

Lexus didn't do it with the IS350 vs IS250....

Audi didn't do it with the A4 vs S4, BMW with the 328 vs 335

This is par for the course.

ILX weighs what? 3400lbs? TL weighs close to 2 tons... The idea for performance is HP/lbs...

Seems like a no brainer to do a sport package ILX with the 3.5DI...
the thing is...all the cars you mentioned are mid size sedans. the ILX is not really midsize, it's more along the lines of compact (civic). so if anything it should be compared to the bmw 1 series. and the entering price point for the ILX is lower than all the cars you have mentioned. drop a 4 cyl turbo in the ILX then you might have something.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:13 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm Turbo!
Old 03-04-2013, 05:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Acc-Rite
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm Turbo!
God no, the RDX Turbo was not a very refined machine. I suspect they will drop 2.4ED 4 in the ILX hopefully in all trims except maybe base, that should help the ILX.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:36 PM
6G TLX-S

Originally Posted by KeithL
God no, the RDX Turbo was not a very refined machine. I suspect they will drop 2.4ED 4 in the ILX hopefully in all trims except maybe base, that should help the ILX.
It happened two weeks ago that when I brought my car in for the B1 service, I was given a fully loaded, 5AT, ILX-tech as the courtesy car.

The ILX is a very nice car, and well equipped. But the 150hp 2L engine is a big let down.

The car is underpowered as an "Advance" Acura premium sedan. Pushing for more power is automatically rewarded by heavy doses of engine noise reverberated inside the cabin.

This 150hp 2L should find it's place only in the Honda Civic, and not in any "Advance" Acura vehicle.

Instead, Acura should have put the 200hp 2.4L into the ILX as the base engine, especially when coupled with the 5-speed auto transmission.
TLtrigirl (03-04-2013)
Old 03-04-2013, 07:59 PM
Instructor

I agree the X in virtually every brand signifies AWD. If one owns a TLX, everyone else will think it's AWD.

I remember a while back board members were trying to figure out what the letters stand for. For example, CL, TL, MDX......etc.

Does anyone know what MDX stands for and especially the X?
Old 03-04-2013, 08:06 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

i honestly don't think that the letters mean anything. i think people have tried to figure it out.

the X with acura isn't a little "x" that is added to the monicker like infiniti and bmw. it's actually part of the model name not part of an option pkg. i don't think of the X on acura's signifying AWD when i see the X (probably b/c i'm biased and i know better as an acura owner).
Old 03-04-2013, 08:17 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by Hamma Tyme

Does anyone know what MDX stands for and especially the X?
Multi-Dimensional LuXury
Old 03-04-2013, 08:22 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by docboy
Multi-Dimensional LuXury
Are you reaching with Luxury given the fact the 3rd letter is X?
Old 03-04-2013, 09:15 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Multi-Dimensional LuXury
haha!!
Old 03-04-2013, 09:20 PM
Suzuka Master

i honestly don't think that the letters mean anything. i think people have tried to figure it out.

the X with acura isn't a little "x" that is added to the monicker like infiniti and bmw. it's actually part of the model name not part of an option pkg. i don't think of the X on acura's signifying AWD when i see the X (probably b/c i'm biased and i know better as an acura owner).
Depends on the body style. Little x suffix on awd sedans & coupes 335ix. Big X as part of the model name on SUV's X3, X5, X5M & X6M.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:26 PM
6G TLX-S

multi-dimensional luxury
m-d-l ?

M-d-u ?

Last edited by Edward'TLS; 03-04-2013 at 11:29 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:51 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Depends on the body style. Little x suffix on awd sedans & coupes 335ix. Big X as part of the model name on SUV's X3, X5, X5M & X6M.
same thing could be said for acura before they changed the names:
MDX, RDX, ZDX (before they decided to add the FWD RDX)

now acura has gone an added FWD to the new MDX, the current RDX...

(sigh). i dont' think the masses really care nor know what the stupid little X is big or little. if it looks like it's part of the model name, then it's a model name. if it looks like it's an add on for an option pkg, then it's an option pkg. i've had people ask me if my TL was a bmw. these people represent the masses. 70% don't know one car from another, and nor do they care.

Quick Reply: TL maybe scrapped? Maybe a new model?