For those with 2 Acuras with remote keyless enty

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 12:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
For those with 2 Acuras with remote keyless enty

Is there a way to program the cars so that only one key is needed to operate both? It would be nice to be able to consolidate 2 into 1 rather than carry 2 all the time. As of now, I have 2 car keys, a couple of regular door keys, Walgreen/Kroger member cards, a USB drive
Old 06-21-2013, 04:35 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Why are you carrying 2? You can only drive one at a time. I'm gonna say probably not. But I could be wrong.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Nick_TX_TL
Why are you carrying 2? You can only drive one at a time. I'm gonna say probably not. But I could be wrong.
Good question!

I guess it's more convenient to have everything in one set. Otherwise, I'd have to make a copy for the whole set to go with each.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:54 PM
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts
I doubt if you can have one fob work on 2 cars but this seriously is a good suggestion. For me, I carry my fob with me all the time. I don't want to think about getting it before I drive or even just need to open trunk. It is just always there for me. BTW, I keep it separate from the rest of my keys -in my front pocket by itself.
The following users liked this post:
hadokenuh (06-24-2013)
Old 06-21-2013, 09:53 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 10 and 12. I ask the dealer and service the same question. The answer was no.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:52 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hadokenuh
Good question!

I guess it's more convenient to have everything in one set. Otherwise, I'd have to make a copy for the whole set to go with each.
I sorta get what your trying to do but am still confused. You're saying you have two Acuras that only you drive? That would be the only reason I could see someone wanting one fob for two cars. Otherwise your SO would be driving the other and it wouldn't matter. I keep my house keys separate from my fob so that's not a real issue.
hadokenuh (06-24-2013)
Old 06-24-2013, 11:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Nick_TX_TL
I sorta get what your trying to do but am still confused. You're saying you have two Acuras that only you drive? That would be the only reason I could see someone wanting one fob for two cars. Otherwise your SO would be driving the other and it wouldn't matter. I keep my house keys separate from my fob so that's not a real issue.
Well we don't have 2 Acuras yet but getting another one (RDX/MDX) is definitely an option. We tend to swap cars so we keep both of our current keys together and it's cumbersome. Plus, I have a set of keys I need to bring to work daily so keeping them separate is sometimes a hassle.

It'll be nice that car manufactures allow universal keys to operate with pre-programmed cars. A another way to improve brand loyalty?
Old 06-24-2013, 12:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Or...

Old 06-24-2013, 01:43 PM
Burning Brakes

^^ lol I like that
Old 06-24-2013, 01:45 PM
Intermediate

Well we don't have 2 Acuras yet but getting another one (RDX/MDX) is definitely an option. We tend to swap cars so we keep both of our current keys together and it's cumbersome. Plus, I have a set of keys I need to bring to work daily so keeping them separate is sometimes a hassle.

It'll be nice that car manufactures allow universal keys to operate with pre-programmed cars. A another way to improve brand loyalty?
Key FOB would probably have to be almost twice the size as it is now, which no one would want. Plus the cost to develop one probably wouldn't yield any real ROI.
I guess they could offer it as an extra accessory, but I would imagine it would be extremely expensive. I mean, how much would you be willing to pay for that? Also, they would have to make sure the tech works with older cars too.

In the end I would assume the percentage that would want this is so small it wouldn't be worth the time or energy for Acura to address.
An easier, cheaper, solution would be to just add a quick disconnect keychain with the FOB on one end and your work keys on the other.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/270742017417?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar
hadokenuh (06-24-2013)
Old 06-24-2013, 01:50 PM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
We have a key board on our wall. At least I call it a keyboard, my wife always gives me a hard time about that. Its a baord with hooks on it, and we hank keys from the hooks. I keep my #1 key fob on my key chain with me and my #2 key fob on the board. My wife keeps her #1 key fob with her, and her #2 on the board. When I take her car, I grab her #2 key, when she takes my car she grabs my #2 key. None of us have ever though of this as inconvenient.

The board is placed where it it out of site from any doors or windows, and its far enough from the cars that it won't trigger them remotely. It is also not in the garage (I have seen people put key boards in their garage).
Old 06-24-2013, 02:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by emanon256
When I take her car, I grab her #2 key, when she takes my car she grabs my #2 key. None of us have ever though of this as inconvenient.
Yep, I understand this is what most people do. Thing is you'll need to remember to bring your key chain with your #1 and your house keys. Plus if you keep them in a pocket, the whole thing becomes too bulky . That's the "little" inconvenience I am trying to point out. There is no option for traditional keys, but for new keyless entry technology, I thought it might be a good idea.

But again, this is probably a first-world problem
Old 06-24-2013, 02:24 PM
Intermediate

Yep, I understand this is what most people do. Thing is you'll need to remember to bring your key chain with your #1 and your house keys. Plus if you keep them in a pocket, the whole thing becomes too bulky . That's the "little" inconvenience I am trying to point out. There is no option for traditional keys, but for new keyless entry technology, I thought it might be a good idea.

But again, this is probably a first-world problem
LOL! Definitely first world problems.
For some reason the link I tried to put in didn't work. This would be your best bet IMO.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/270742017417?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar
Old 06-24-2013, 07:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by emanon256
We have a key board on our wall. At least I call it a keyboard, my wife always gives me a hard time about that. Its a baord with hooks on it, and we hank keys from the hooks. I keep my #1 key fob on my key chain with me and my #2 key fob on the board. My wife keeps her #1 key fob with her, and her #2 on the board. When I take her car, I grab her #2 key, when she takes my car she grabs my #2 key. None of us have ever though of this as inconvenient.

The board is placed where it it out of site from any doors or windows, and its far enough from the cars that it won't trigger them remotely. It is also not in the garage (I have seen people put key boards in their garage).
I use the small one of these \/

$65. Locking metal key box with push button entry. Mine is screwed to the studs just inside my garage entry door. This won't keep a very good thief out, but it keeps the remote from activating the keyless entry system and keeps your kids from driving the car when you're on vacation.

http://www.keycabinets.com/keystorage-keytags.html

Last edited by Mr Marco; 06-24-2013 at 07:09 PM.
emanon256 (06-25-2013)